Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

lowered...POPPING SOUND?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowered...POPPING SOUND?

i just lowered my crossfire this weekened using the eibach kit! very satisfied with the look! but its only been a couple days and iven noticed a popping sound every once and awhile on the rear driver side?? i thought at first the the spring had just been trying to set properly but its continued to do this after 2 days? any idea what it could be? i looked underneath both springs look seated properly and look identical. soo any advice or solution?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Default Re: lowered..POPPING SOUND?

Hello....I had a problem as well after lowering the car....

Check that the bolts that hold the shock are tight.. this in my case was the problem.. driver side was loose..making a noise only when i would hit a slight bump on the road....

Hope this solves your issue..

Joe Portales

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem tighten those bolts up and the problem will be solved. lol it scares the crap out of you when it happens..

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

ill give it a shot tomorrow night! pretty sure i had them tight even put blud loctite on them! thanks for the quick responses ill check it out tomorrow!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Forum Regular

When do you hear the popping sound?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM

any bumps in the road... Yeah just hold the air gun on them It will go away I promise

Old 01-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
any bumps in the road... Yeah just hold the air gun on them It will go away I promise
If you modified the springs they may not be sitting in their cradle properly. Make sure you have them rotated tight against the stop.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Forum Regular

i made sure they all sat up in the top pad properly before installation.. i still havent had a chance to tighten up the bolts yet but the sound only happens rarely when i hit pot hole unexcpectedly or somthin. but im still going to jack the car up and check it out just havent had time.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM

I noticed a poping sound in the front end of the car. I hear it when I'm making a right turn or driving over a uneven surface. I also hear it when I lift my foot of the brakes as well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: lowered...POPPING SOUND?

By any chance,

does this also happen while your making really slow turns?

i havn't lowered my car, but i get these popping sounds sometimes when making slow turns, like U-turns..

what bolts exactly would you have to tighten?

any pictures would be helpful considering im a newbie =]

Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Banned

ok, anyone that does lower their car should cut the bumper in the top of the shock or change the shock ! Because these bumpers are sized for the height of the spring and the travel of the shock changes with lowering 1"-1" 1/2 ! Then your car won't be riding on this bumper !

Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by GDrag
By any chance,

does this also happen while your making really slow turns?

i havn't lowered my car, but i get these popping sounds sometimes when making slow turns, like U-turns..

what bolts exactly would you have to tighten?

any pictures would be helpful considering im a newbie =]
I hear this happening to my car too. But I don't think the car has been lowered.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 AM

Are SRT's normally lower than regular Crossfires? If not, how can I tell if mine has been lowered.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

ok so i checked out the car this past saturday and..... nothing all the bolts were tight! thing thats weird is the sound went away? so i guess it was my original thougth that the spring had just been trying to set properly? for now im not worried cus i did check the bolts. about changing the bump stop?? i never did and ive had no problems? and im sure not many of the people on this forum have done this? and to answer one more thing if your car were lowered the gap between the wheel well opening and the tire would be around 2 fingers if it werent it be more around 4. this is for the rear. just a quick easy little test for ya!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Did anyone ever figure out what the popping noise is when your making slow turns. I just recently lowered my car and have been hearing the sound frequently from my front wheel well area. I cut the bump stops so thats not the problem, havent checked those bolts you guys were talking about but I dont think that is the problem because it doesn't happen over bumps, only during slow turns. It also only happens when I'm making slow turns while going forward. When I'm in reverse fully locked out I rub but I don't hear the popping noise. Its really bothering me, sounds like my suspension is about to break or something. Any help would be appreciated.
Brandon

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM

I also here this popping sound. It came shortly after I installed my EIbach Lowering Springs. I hear the popping sounds exactly as described above on rare slopes and holes. I opened the rear drive wheel where I heard the sound, everything was tight, however it appeared that this popping sound may be coming from a worn out bushing? Does this make sense? Or should I continue tightening everything?

Thanks,

FJP

Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

Edit, NM I was thinking front not back.

Last edited by Airscape; 05-31-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM

I have the same problem, just put the prokit on and Bilstein shocks. For me the sound is coming from the front passenger side wheel. I've put it onto the lift and made sure everything was seated correctly and tightened but it still is there... anyone figure this out?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Try lubing the stabilizer bar bushings.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Try lubing the stabilizer bar bushings.
its very interesting that you mentioned that. I never got around to trimming my bump stops as it would cost me the labor all over again to take a look. And the two mechanics who have previously attempted it could not even find the bump stops, despite the pictures and instructions from the forum.

However one mechanic mentioned the bushings, and when i push down on the vehicle on the drivers side, i hear the click. It appears to be the driver side bushing in the rear wheel area. How much does this bushing cost to replace? And how hard is it to change it?

Thanks,

FJP

Quick Reply: lowered...POPPING SOUND?