Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

MR Shocks

Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up MR Shocks

Does any one know if the aftermarket is offering MR shocks for any cars yet? I was watching the latest leaked footage of the new ZR-1 vette in action, and I was really impressed at how fast it could haul around a track, and man is it flat on the turns. apperently the MR shocks allow the vette to be super supple driver on the street, and then when it hits the track, it's outta sight! I think Audi is using MR shocks on some of their high end cars?
Any info out there?

http://jim.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/17/4/309
would love to get a set for the CF..

Last edited by Maxwell; 01-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MR Shocks

My understanding is Delphi in Dayton, OH "invented" the MRs - they have been on Corvettes and Caddy's maybe others for several years. They are sharp. I don't know anything about aftermarket and it would be a difficult propostion to install - I think they have to be electrically powered to "turn on" the magnets - but not sure...

Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose "MR" is a puff marketer's term for a damper using magnetorheological fluid. In that case, the real challenge in distributing or selling aftermarket "MR" shocks is in the control units.

In adjustable-valving applications (like the Tein EDFC) you would need a control unit to vary the electromagnetic field strength based on a user interface and then a power source to maintain the EMF.

In applications like you see in corvettes and audi, you need to interface the shocks with, at minimum, a steering and speed sensor. A higher-quality system would interface with the vehicles ABS, TCS, a roll sensor, steering, speed, suspension travel and yaw sensor.

Last edited by sonoronos; 01-11-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Like I've said before, the Manufactuer's are about 15 years ahead of the aftermarket, but I don't see why they can't make a simple MR shock for aftermarket. just need to have a simple electronic interface that sends power to each individual shock, no need to complicate things with steering angle, speed, and osiclation sensors, keep it simple and easy.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Well Like I've said before, the Manufactuer's are about 15 years ahead of the aftermarket, but I don't see why they can't make a simple MR shock for aftermarket. just need to have a simple electronic interface that sends power to each individual shock, no need to complicate things with steering angle, speed, and osiclation sensors, keep it simple and easy.
Where did you get your 15 years number from?

These shocks are not self contained like normal dampers are. They require control circuitry which takes 12V (or 48V if Delphi has its way) and boosts the voltage to whatever is required for the given emf required for a certain damping force. The emf varies linearly with voltage, if you remember your freshman physics courses.

In any case, how many people do you see buying Tein EDFC's? Not many. Would you buy the shocks if they came out tomorrow and cost $9000 for all four corners and a control box, plus the labor to rewire the car? Or would you are asking for something that costs $300 a corner, with a $100 control box and DIY wiring kit?

Why can't they make a simple MR shock? They can. The issue is not what people can make. It's what people can sell.