Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Rear tire wear on inside

Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire wear on inside

Hi,
I noticed last night when I looked that the dust on the tires on the rear looked like they are only contacting on the inside half of the tire and not the whole tire. Any idea what is causing this? Pressures are set as they should be.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear tire wear on inside

Originally Posted by almecum
Hi,
I noticed last night when I looked that the dust on the tires on the rear looked like they are only contacting on the inside half of the tire and not the whole tire. Any idea what is causing this? Pressures are set as they should be.
By factory spec they are aligned slightly inward at the top as compared to the bottom. Look at the wheels from the rear of the car to see this.. They should be touching across the entire width of the car.

If you're getting unusual wear on the inside of your tires, take it in for an alignment.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
Sounds like the camber is out of spec to me. Bad news is camber is not adjustable. It could possiably be the tow and that is adjustable, but I would lean more to a camber problem. As your springs wear or settle it will cause your tire's to lean in a little more at the top. It's a bad design deal to have no camber adjustment on these cars front or rear. K-MAC sells adjustable camber bushings for the rear, but they are pricey, about $250.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular

Hi,
Dust? From where? I'm not sure you can make any conclusions based on dust.

It is likely that what you're seeing is from negative camber in the rear, but doubtful that it's a problem.

If you're seeing unusual *wear*, get concerned. Even then, it's more likely to be due to toe than camber.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
RPM

Hi,
Is your car lowered?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IRS(independant rear suspension) cars generally have a good amount of negative camber which will cause more wear on the inside half of the tires.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
IRS(independant rear suspension) cars generally have a good amount of negative camber which will cause more wear on the inside half of the tires.
as long as toe is zero (or very close), a degree or 2 of neg camber will be hardly noticeable (if at all) wear-wise.

toe it out with some negative camber...then you'll start seeing the effects

Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM

The Dust was actually powdery dirt on my drive way which was only showing on the inside half of the tire. The car is not lowered, all stock 2004. The one thing I have a issue with this that the car likes to track the lines on the road alot. I live in the northwest so the spikes put some nice groves in the road.