Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Anti Squeal Lube Question

Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Squeal Lube Question

I could not find what I needed by searching so I'll try a new thread. In Andrews excellent brake pad replacement instructions, he doesn't mention using anti squeal lube on the front pads unless I missed it. It is mentioned on the back pads. I have replaced pads before on other cars but never had to use the lubricant. I'll use it on the rears as per the instructions.

Do I need it on the fronts ?
Any brand preference ?
Any parts store ?
How does it work ?

I have the Rotex pads and a 7mm allen socket on order and will tackle the job soon. Any info on the lube will be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anti Squeal Lube Question

Yeah I need more lube.

Everyonce in awhile since the new pads its like nails on a chalk board!!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Had rotex brake pads put on 2 weeks ago, lube the back of each pad over night with anti-squeal lube. Everytime I back up, hitting the brakes I get a loud squeal. Not sure if it will get better, but sure a pain in the ***.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend using it on the front as well. You can pick it up at any auto parts store and brand is not that important (I wouldn't think). Just for info, I had some but didn't use it on front or rear, and mine has not squealed the first time. But, I had very few miles on the car when I switched to Rotex Gold pads and there was still a sufficient amount left from the factory pads.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Definitely use anti-squeal on both the fronts and backs!

It's also a good idea to have the rotors turned if you have a few miles on them to further reduce the risk of the dreaded SQUEAL!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal
I would recommend using it on the front as well. You can pick it up at any auto parts store and brand is not that important (I wouldn't think). Just for info, I had some but didn't use it on front or rear, and mine has not squealed the first time. But, I had very few miles on the car when I switched to Rotex Gold pads and there was still a sufficient amount left from the factory pads.
Did you turn the rotors ?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the rotors! It will reduce or eliminate squeals and give you a longer pad life. Lubricate the touch pooints on the pads.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck65
Did you turn the rotors ?
No, I didn't but I did bed the new pads immediately after installation. There are several different procedures for bedding new pads that can be found on the internet through Google. Pick one that you are comfortable with or can do safely in your area.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dakota-boy1
Had rotex brake pads put on 2 weeks ago, lube the back of each pad over night with anti-squeal lube. Everytime I back up, hitting the brakes I get a loud squeal. Not sure if it will get better, but sure a pain in the ***.
Is the loud squeal in reverse gone yet ? How about going forward ? I'm Getting closer to putting on my Rotex pads. Any tips ?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Thumbs up Re: Anti Squeal Lube Question

Originally Posted by chuck65
Is the loud squeal in reverse gone yet ? How about going forward ? I'm Getting closer to putting on my Rotex pads. Any tips ?
Once in a while I get the squeal. Seems to be getting better. You need to turn the rotors, I didn't and regret it. I had only 16,000 miles on my vehicle. Didn't think I needed to turn the rotors but I should have. Never to old to learn!!! Sure don't miss all the dust on my wheels.
Good luck.
Don

Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dakota-boy1
Once in a while I get the squeal. Seems to be getting better. You need to turn the rotors, I didn't and regret it. I had only 16,000 miles on my vehicle. Didn't think I needed to turn the rotors but I should have. Never to old to learn!!! Sure don't miss all the dust on my wheels.
Good luck
Don
Thanks for the rapid response. I was going to try to skip the rotor turning as I only have 6,00 miles on the car. You and others on this thread have changed my mind. Danimal has provided some good information on bedding the pads. The sources say that you have to coat and imbed the material from the new pads into the rotor and you can't do this if the coating from the old pads are not removed.

Can anyone provide the procedure to remove the rotors? I think it's easy and only requires the removal of one bolt.

You know Dakota Boy it's not too late to turn your rotors. I believe they can redress your new pads also.

Thanks

Last edited by chuck65; 03-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Another title for the wondering mind? I'm holding back, but it's not easy.

Apkano?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP

Apkano?
??? Don't hold back, go for it !!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by FP
"Bedding New Pads"? Nope; I guess that won't work either...

Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by FP
Another title for the wondering mind? I'm holding back, but it's not easy. Apkano?
What are you talking about FP...the loud squeal?

Easy to fix...pull over and kick the bi**h out to the curb...you have plenty of girlfriends if we are to believe your gallery!

Or are you talking about bedding new pads...personally I like to wait for another time of the month.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i use both anti squeal & brake grease ... the combo eliminates the chance of any noise.

a mean mix... against the squeal.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

I had my Rotex Gold pads put on today. I was going to put them on myself, but decided it was not a good idea to not turn the rotors. The grooving wasn't the issue but the glazing and coating that the original pads left were. The mechanic only took off .005" because there was only 6000 miles on them.

I used a product from Permatex called Quiet Brake Pad that I sprayed onto the entire back of the pad the night before installation. When it dries, it forms a rubber like coating.

danimal suggested "bedding", attn: FP, the pads which I did. 2 firm stops from 35, two from 50, and 2 from 60. Look up "bedding" to see why this is recommended.

So far no squeak or noise of any kind. Of course the dust issue still needs some time to tell. As far as I can see by reading the threads on the dusting and squeal problem, most that complain didn't turn the rotors or use a anti squeal product. I can't stress enough the need to do both.

There's a thread on the SRT6 site about Rotex and some are dissapointed with the results. Some complained of dusting under hard use. I found an interesting review on Rotex. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rot...e-pads-review/

After about a month I will let you know if I'm having any problems with the installation.

Thanks to all for your help and input.

Last edited by chuck65; 08-20-2008 at 03:53 AM.