Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Rotex Gold Ebay vs. Brakeworld

Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotex Gold Ebay vs. Brakeworld

So I recently ordered rotex gold brakes (finally) for both the front and rear. I ordered the fronts from Ebay and the rears from Brakeworld. Both came extremely quick and I can't complain there. However aside from the packaging the pad material seems to be different. The ones from brakeworld actually appear gold where as the ebay ones (front) seem to be gray. So am I victim of a bad purchase from ebay or are they legit? Why the difference in color?

Which leads me to my next question... I bought these in anticipation of a 2-day autocross class I'm going to next week, as I assumed my pads (2004, <30k) could probably use replacing prior to hitting the track. Should I keep the stocks ones on and replace afterwards or try to swap them out before track day?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

See attached images below...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
box1 (Medium).JPG (46.7 KB, 31 views)
box2 (Medium).JPG (49.7 KB, 28 views)
pads1 (Medium).JPG (65.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rotex Gold Ebay vs. Brakeworld

No expierence with the Rotex so I cant comment. As far as changing befor the roadcourse day; are your breaks still plenty good and grabbing well? I would use them if they are. You probably dont want to do a new brake break-in during a driving course. Are you going to have the rotors turned when you put the new pad on? It would be good even if it's just to clean up the surfaces. Your new pads will start off flat and clean that way. Good luck with the course.

MikeR

Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks MikeR... My current brakes seem to have a lot of bite, so I'll take your advice and leave the current pads on. I'd classify myself as a novice in the mechanical department (so please excuse my ignorance) but I'm very excited to learn and these forums have been extremely helpful. When you say "turn the rotor" do you mean "resurface" to rotor? When I finally get around to changing the pads I plan to do it "wheel by wheel" so if i had to take the rotors some where to have them turned that could be a problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM

There's another thread out there, CBX, discussing the same thing. I purchased my Rotex's off of Ebay & they have the same hue as your rears do. Had them installed last week & so far, so good. I probably won't be able to give the car a good washing for the next couple of weeks (the weather has to cooperate first!) so there's no way of knowing whether or not I get the same amount of dust appearing on the wheels but they've performed well, no squeaks, no fade.
Time will tell....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23359

Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM

Yes, you would need to take the rotors to a shop and have it done. They usually turn them around in a day, maybe two. You could do the front and then the back, but it is quicker to just pop them all off and do it one time. If your rotors are nice and even and no pitting, you dont HAVE to turn them. Do what works best for you as long as it keeps you safe. By the way, I wouldnt change one wheel at a time and then go driving. I would be afraid of getting a bad pull to one side if I hit the brakes hard.

MikeR

Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Forum Regular

Have you seen this discussion in the recent SRT6 section. Some suspect that the Ebay Rotex pads could be Chinese counterfit pads. I got my pads at brakeworld.com, front and back and installed the fronts last Friday. I had the rotors turned and they only took off .005". I used Permatex Quiet Brake Pad on the backs of the pads. So far no noises and good brake bite. danimal suggests "bedding" the brakes and I think it helped. I would think you would want to bed them before hitting the track. Look up brake bedding on Google.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23359

Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM

MikeR - Thanks for the clarification (and tips), and I should have elaborated I planned to do all four (one wheel at a time). Any issues there? How much do shops generally charge to turn the rotors? It seems I can get a new set of rotors relatively cheap.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Chuck and Kurt - Thanks for the ref, I think I recall reading that thread but nothing really set in about "counterfeit pads" I guess that never really crossed my mind as I wouldn’t think there would be a big market there... people will do anything to make a buck I suppose.

Thanks for the tips on bedding and the anti-squeak lube. I read several of Andrew's posts about the anti-squeak application the night before, that the definitely the way i plan to go. There’s nothing more annoying than squeaky brakes! Well I can think of a lot of things, but you know what I'm saying.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CBXFIRE
MikeR - Thanks for the clarification (and tips), and I should have elaborated I planned to do all four (one wheel at a time). Any issues there? How much do shops generally charge to turn the rotors? It seems I can get a new set of rotors relatively cheap.
I would order some new rotors Xdrilled. Or if you want my OEMs front only 1k miles both for $100. Like new '04 coupe.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM

I havent checked pricing lately but turning rotors should be about $10 ea. or less. It's a pretty simple process. I dont know that I would change the rotors unless you need new rotors or you just want to go with the slotted/drilled rotors.

I am getting ready to do my brakes and am changing to slotted fronts and drilled&slotted rears with DiscItalia Titanium Kevlar pads and Goodridge stainless steel brake lines. My front rotors look a little grooved and the right front had a defined groove in it. That's enough excuse for me to do the upgrade.

MikeR

Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

I'm almost positive Mercedes Benz doesn't recommend turning their OEM rotors !

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Forum Regular

They charged me $90.00 to install the pads and turn the rotors, front only. I sprayed the anti squeal on the night before as Andrew suggested.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Forum Regular

So I recently ordered rotex gold brakes (finally) for both the front and rear. I ordered the fronts from Ebay and the rears from Brakeworld. Both came extremely quick and I can't complain there. However aside from the packaging the pad material seems to be different. The ones from brakeworld actually appear gold where as the ebay ones (front) seem to be gray. So am I victim of a bad purchase from ebay or are they legit? Why the difference in color?

Which leads me to my next question... I bought these in anticipation of a 2-day autocross class I'm going to next week, as I assumed my pads (2004, <30k) could probably use replacing prior to hitting the track. Should I keep the stocks ones on and replace afterwards or try to swap them out before track day?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

See attached images below...
I have front and rears bought from eBay - box says something like AAA Imports and all mine look grey (even the rears) like your fronts.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bflinn
I have front and rears bought from eBay - box says something like AAA Imports and all mine look grey (even the rears) like your fronts.
BFlinn - How's your experience with brake dust been?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Rotex from the Ebay guy and they squeek quite a bit when stopping at lights (just at slower speeds). I didn't get a look at the color though - a dealer installed them as a favor. I'll need to email him with my concerns and let everyone know his response.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT6 Dan
I'm almost positive Mercedes Benz doesn't recommend turning their OEM rotors !
You are absolutely correct. In my conversations with the guys at AAA Imports, they said the weakest part of the MB braking system is the rotors. They are surprised that we have not had more problems....yet. You may want to see my post concerning the Rotex pads info from them as well:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=23445

Old 04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular

BFlinn - How's your experience with brake dust been?
Now here comes a whole 'nother story.....I am currently running EBC Redstuff pads. I noticed sometime ago that my left rear wheel was producing very little if any brake dust and the right rear - considerably more - not as much as fronts though. Car is a 2005 SRT-6 w/5K miles so I took it back to the dealer (a friend of mine). I put the car on jacks and concluded that the left rear caliper was not clamping.....they checked it out and said the left rear caliper was fine and the right rear was not releasing after the brakes were applied. They have ordered a new right rear caliper and brake line (none in the states, will be here in a week). So because of that I have not put on the Rotex yet - awaiting the fix. I am hoping they are less than the EBC Redstuff (which was more than my old limited with Akeebono ceramics produced). Sorry for the long winded response - I should have just said don’t know - haven’t installed them yet.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

I think you should order the stainless steel brakelines ! While you're waiting.