Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Originally Posted by Rowanbud
Perish the thought, old bean! (and after seeing your part time occupation I would like to quote the 5th on all further discussion re. speed limits lol!!!)
Ah' but there is more to Doc than meets the eye; he hasn't mentioned his high speed jinks racing down the drag strip with his Crossfire! What was it Doc - 120 mph?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Ah' but there is more to Doc than meets the eye; he hasn't mentioned his high speed jinks racing down the drag strip with his Crossfire! What was it Doc - 120 mph?
My faith is restored!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

114 in the quarter best so far, but she has seen 160 on a country straightaway...lol....just be careful out there....we don't have all those cameras you have across the pond....

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
This is the third SS I have ordered from JoeTLC and have been happy with their customer service. At ~$32 you can't beat them
If you look further back in this thread you'll see when I replaced it on your car. Gives you an indication of how long it lasted.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
If you look further back in this thread you'll see when I replaced it on your car. Gives you an indication of how long it lasted.
Exactly, and it is more because of the fact that everything else is getting replaced, so I figured why not.

Did you have any idea that both splash shields on each side are completely broken, and two of the mounting brackets on the headlights, I will not go into any more detail LOL

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Did you have any idea that both splash shields on each side are completely broken, and two of the mounting brackets on the headlights, I will not go into any more detail LOL
The splash guards that lead to the fog lights? It was replaced by me before because it disappeared but should have been there last I knew. Mounting brackets on headlights? Don't know anything about that at all. Can't imagine even how that happened.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
The splash guards that lead to the fog lights? It was replaced by me before because it disappeared but should have been there last I knew. Mounting brackets on headlights? Don't know anything about that at all. Can't imagine even how that happened.
Not the little fog light doors (there was only 1 of those LOL) but the entire shield that runs from the fender liner to the front bumper underneath the the fog lights, one was broken in half and the other severely damaged, both need replaced. I just wanted to make sure nothing else happened and I should not be looking at suspension components for damage. Not trying to complain, just want to know if anything else may be damaged.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rowanbud
Hi Seve, I got mine from MB dealership also. £34. I'm having it fitted on wednesday so fingers crossed. I thought for such a small amount, it was worth doing. I've got used to the tram lining thing now although it was a little disconcerting at first I must say lol! As for good stability at high speed, well, I couldn't possibly comment as I never go over the speedlimit !
Just got steering damper replaced. Only driven back to work from the garage but can tell there is an improvement already. Can't wait to drive home! Glad I had it done :-)

Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Just put one on our car, $32 shipped from eBay and it was OEM. The old one had about 2 inches of play in it when you tried to pull it in and out, the new one didn't do that so I think it was bad. I could tell it drove better on our roads, didn't pull around in the crown like before.

A 16mm socket and wrench and I was done in 10 minutes. Took longer to jack the car up and that was easy too. Great tip and thanks for a great forum with so much knowledge sharing and info.

Joe

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Part 2 of this, the cars owner drove it and she said it made a huge difference!!

Hard to imagine a 2006 with 17K and the part was worn out, guess I'll plan on replacing it again in 2 years or so.

Joe

Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
......but, still would like to find nylon bushings to stiffen things up a bit....
Doc, I saw someone post a link to a vendor for some VERY nice nylon bushing sets a couple of weeks ago.. and they were not CHEAP.... I would like to put a set in my Aero too.... maybe some day..

edit: here is the link.... it was to a thread on BenzWorld....

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...group-buy.html

Last edited by MikeR; 11-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Part 2 of this, the cars owner drove it and she said it made a huge difference!!

Hard to imagine a 2006 with 17K and the part was worn out, guess I'll plan on replacing it again in 2 years or so.

Joe
Joe, it all depends on how you drive, I have been replacing mine every year in the spring.

Originally Posted by MikeR
edit: here is the link.... it was to a thread on BenzWorld....

Polyurethane Bushes for many models Group buy - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
Mike you are nmot kidding, I checked them out a few weeks ago as a nice alternative but for that kind of money, I will be waiting.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM

When I take a hard left turn, I do notice the car tends to "nose over" to the front passenger corner.
Would something like this address that issue, or do I need anti-sway bars?
Thanks.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it helped. Seems that most people here have replaced theirs including me at 17K miles and it sure made a difference. For $30 and a few minutes time it is a cheap and easy thing to do. Do some searches here and see what people have done in the past. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah; you're right. The car has just under 30k miles on it. For that cheap, why *wouldn't* I try it, right? :-)

Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM

It took me longer to jack the car up and put jack stands under it than it took to change it and I am not Mr. Mechanic. A socket and wrench and that was it, they say to turn the wheels to the left a little, I did but not sure why, for accessing one of the two bolts I think it was, it says in this thread somewhere.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer replaced my Stabilizer for free under warranty. Feels much better now. I also had them put on my new oversized tires. I can feel the road again. yeah!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks to the forum I've ordered and recieved my new stabilizer. (and also getting my door sill rust repaired )
The worn out nittos and factory stabalizer (51,000 miles) are making for a very poor ride.

I picked up a new set of tires and will swap the stabalizer when I get the tires mounted.

Now its off to the brake threads to find the best deal on rotors and pads.
Merry xmas to my xf!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You should do it in steps to see which one helped the ride quality.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM

The new tires were installed yesterday, it was rainy, I could definately tell a difference in noise levels but the tires just don't feel right. I was thinking I made a bad tire choice and they just fell really stiff like the car was lumbering even worse than the worn out invos. Parked the car last night and changed the stabilizer this morning, I was skeptical the old one was bad when I took it off because it still I had plenty of resistance and didn't feel "loose" However once I compressed it, it did not extend. Put the new one on and went for a short ride, (still rainy) and MUCH MUCH MUCH better! Now the tires feel proper. Its amazing the difference in feel that stabilizer makes .

Thanks again xf forums.

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.