Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

I want a softer ride/change rims & tires

Old 06-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts
Default I want a softer ride/change rims & tires

I found a set of Mercedes 17" wheels to replace my crossfire 18 & 19's .. right now front are 225-40x18 25.1 tall ,,rear 155-35 x 19 26.0 tall so if i put on the front 245-45 x17 25.7 tall and rear 255-45 x 17 , 26.o tall and both the 17 and 19 are 10" wide, what do you think.. jim

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Re: I want a softer ride/change rims & tires

I used this fitment tool.:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

It looks like you'll have issues in front with the top balljoint nut (at 35 offset)-you'll need spacers, and they'll stick out quite a bit.
8 1/2" are the widest size rims recommended for our front end.

The rear will work OK. At 35 offset, you'll be 1/2" closer to suspension components. You might want to follow the same (22) offset as stock. If you do, the fit is identical.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I want a softer ride/change rims & tires

I do not know why anyone complains about the ride quality, it is a freaking sports car not a road couch cadillac. It rides great in my opinion, it is supposed to be tight and stiff so it handles like a sports car (because it is).

Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
I do not know why anyone complains about the ride quality, it is a freaking sports car not a road couch cadillac. It rides great in my opinion, it is supposed to be tight and stiff so it handles like a sports car (because it is).
that is why we are Americans so we can choose the way we want to ride ,, I take my sports car and go in a stright line on a very stright track but when i am on these freaking streets and sitting over the rear axle of my sports car I will make it as smooth as i want,, i ask for your committs you gave them , as you see it thank you , in this post did you read where i was complaining or just saying i want a softer ride, and was asking about the wheels, some may say why would you buy a two seater at your age my answer is because i can. and i can change it the way i want to,,, I'll say this the next time you a post where some one wants to lower their car ask them why it is a sports car and rides great why would anycamplain and lower their car to look and ride the way they want it to,, thanks for your input. jim

Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM

I couldn't help posting a quote from you just two days or so ago thanks again jim

post: I am going to run at least a 12.99 next week (TVT I need your help)

"Some people are arrogant and feel that they are qualified to tell others what they should have bought, what they should have done, what mods they should or should not do and so on. When it comes down to it, it is your money so spend it how YOU want. There is nothing wrong with advice but there is a lot wrong with people thinking they can tell others what they should or should not spend their money on. It has a lot to do with their insecurity I would say."

sigg.gif

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got the stock Conti'd. the ride does suck.
These cars desevre better.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397
that is why we are Americans so we can choose the way we want to ride ,, I take my sports car and go in a stright line on a very stright track but when i am on these freaking streets and sitting over the rear axle of my sports car I will make it as smooth as i want,, i ask for your committs you gave them , as you see it thank you , in this post did you read where i was complaining or just saying i want a softer ride, and was asking about the wheels, some may say why would you buy a two seater at your age my answer is because i can. and i can change it the way i want to,,, I'll say this the next time you a post where some one wants to lower their car ask them why it is a sports car and rides great why would anycamplain and lower their car to look and ride the way they want it to,, thanks for your input. jim
LMAO no need to get all bent out of shape, I just found it silly to try and soften up the ride on a sports car and defeat the purpose of it. As for lowering a car, that enhances the handling of the car and it looks great to boot.

17" wheels will work fine on the car as long as you get the correct offset. They may look a little like truck tires if you get a sidewall that is a lot higher than the stock tires but it would definately make it ride more like a family car with a lot more rubber on them.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM

will konis work on a srt6?

I don't know if they do or not but perhaps you could look into that as well..

Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by khanable
will konis work on a srt6?

I don't know if they do or not but perhaps you could look into that as well..
khanable's right...A set of adjustable Konis would probably meet your needs (some SRT6 owners on the forum rave about the ride improvement) and should cost considerably less than a new tire/wheel setup. Plus you can adjust them to taste (within their range).

Here is a link to a discussion about "de-jolting" SRT6s:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...highlight=koni

Koni tech info with part numbers:

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

Last edited by KJKnowles; 06-02-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Plus the Koni's will be a lot cheaper than a new set of rims/tires

Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 PM

The Mercedes rims with 235 45 x17 tires on them , I am swaping for some parts. so my cost is under 200.00
the 225-40 x18 +25.1 tall
the 255-35x19 =26.0 tall and 10" wide.
the tires i am getting are new 235-45 x 17 ,,,25.4 tall and 9.3 wide so my fronts will be .3 " taller and my rear will be .6 shorter or i may buy two Nanking !!'s 255-45 17 26.1 tall and 10 "wide ( same as the connies.)

Last edited by amx1397; 06-02-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Eibach Pro Kit (lowering springs) and Koni Dampers. The ride is still firm but doesn't rattle you on rough roads. The ride is more controlled, tight, and much smoother. The Progressive Spring design is a winner.

Last edited by Fritzauf; 06-03-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't help posting a quote from you just two days or so ago thanks again jim

post: I am going to run at least a 12.99 next week (TVT I need your help)

"Some people are arrogant and feel that they are qualified to tell others what they should have bought, what they should have done, what mods they should or should not do and so on. When it comes down to it, it is your money so spend it how YOU want. There is nothing wrong with advice but there is a lot wrong with people thinking they can tell others what they should or should not spend their money on. It has a lot to do with their insecurity I would say."

LOL!! ownd

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
LOL!! ownd

LOL!! try again

I simply commented how I think it is silly, I did not say he shouldn't change it how he wants.

If someone buys a sports car and is suprised it does not seat 6 and rides like a minivan then they evidentally did not do their homework, lmao. When I bought my hhr I did not expect it to have 350whp and handle like a porsche.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Went and installed the wheels this morning the front worked perfect but the off set in the rear, the mercedes wheels have a off set of 45 the crossfire has 35 front and 22 in the rear so as i said the front worked ok but the rear the tires were under the car almost 2" I should have taken pic but i didn't want any one to see my srt-6 that way I could have used spacers but the way i drive i would have broken the studs,( my driving with my pt cruiser 34000 miles 7 sets of tires ,,8 transmissions and 3 turbo's..) the ride on the other hand was much better and the handling wasn't off that much, for now i am back to the 18 and 19"s until i can get some rims that at the correct off set so for now i will indure the bumps..I don't want to change the springs unless i use the non srt springs and shocke and keep mine to put back whenever i want ,,,, jim

Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMX1397 Like you, I wanted a bit more comfort on the road. It's a long story but I ended up with the Eibach Pro springs and Bilstein shocks.They are designed for an initial softer feel, but both get firmer when pushed. Kind of a best of both worlds scenario, and great for street driving. Definitely an improvement over the jarring you can get on the road with the stock springs and shocks.

BTW, as you mentioned above, I have also kept the originals for when I sell my SRT-6 someday. I know at least one other member here switched out his SRT springs for standard Crossfire springs and shocks (at least I think he did both). He said he was happy with the change and recommended I do it. However, I've also driven a standard Crossfire on the nearby freeway where I get a lot of oscillation in the SRT. The standard setup, while definitely smoother, is clearly looser too, and I just wasn't comfortable with it. So in that sense, parallel to Mr.Photoman, I too was interested in retaining the sports car within. Luckily, I think the Bilstein and Eibach combo is a reasonable compromise. I'd do it again.

As for changing out the tires, I'm curious to hear your take on the change. It would also be great to see some photos, as I've been reluctant to change the look of my SRT.

Last edited by eganders; 06-03-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Went and installed the wheels this morning the front worked perfect but the off set in the rear, the mercedes wheels have a off set of 45 the crossfire has 35 front and 22 in the rear so as i said the front worked ok but the rear the tires were under the car almost 2" I should have taken pic but i didn't want any one to see my srt-6 that way I could have used spacers but the way i drive i would have broken the studs,( my driving with my pt cruiser 34000 miles 7 sets of tires ,,8 transmissions and 3 turbo's..) the ride on the other hand was much better and the handling wasn't off that much, for now i am back to the 18 and 19"s until i can get some rims that at the correct off set so for now i will indure the bumps..I don't want to change the springs unless i use the non srt springs and shocke and keep mine to put back whenever i want ,,,, jim
check tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com they should be able to get you a set that will work. edgeracing.com has very good prices too.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 AM

thanks for the info i will look into the springs even though i really don't want to change to aftermarket also the rims seem to be the best way for me to go example the mercedes wheels with tires on them(good tiresmaybe 10 to 20,000 miles left on them my cost 100.00 sorry can't sell them for that, when the owner come back from vacation i will ask what he wants for them,, I am the driver for this D.T. performance and wheels so my cost is low.. jim

Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM

thanks for the info i will look into the springs even though i really don't want to change to aftermarket also the rims seem to be the best way for me to go example the mercedes wheels with tires on them(good tiresmaybe 10 to 20,000 miles left on them my cost 100.00 sorry can't sell them for that, when the owner come back from vacation i will ask what he wants for them,, I am the driver for this D.T. performance and wheels so my cost is low.. jim
Here you go, I was going to get 16" wheels for drag radials for the car so this may help you. I do admit I am like you when it comes to wheel spacers. They scare me, they have to create a weak point. If I got them I would get the expensive H&R brand they are german parts and are very high quality. Tire rack sells them.

This is a PM from someone that runs these I had asked about:

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Factory 2003 SLK 16.x7 with a 15mm spacer, so you can use the factory lugs. They will clear without the spacer but just barely and you would need a 2nd set of lugs. Be very careful not to buy a set of wheels and the lugs screw in farther than stock, you will hit the parking brake cable behind the rotor. You should be able to pick up a pair for around $100 bucks. I don't want to put DR's on my stock wheels, so that's why I went this direction. I didn't like the 18" and 19" DR's either, especially if you want to lower the pressure to test. I can lower mine to 10lbs and still have plenty of sidewall to play with. Try that on a 19" DR and you might have a blowout. By the way I have found 28lbs psi is the best for me. When it heat's up, I may have to find the right psi again. If your in cold country, it's worked around 50-65 degrees.

If so, what is the size and offset you are using? 16x9? +35 offset I would guess? Could you give me some links and photos of what the wheels look like and where I can get them?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 06-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Location: Finger lakes region of central New york south of Rochester

Can't we all get along? lol