Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

lowering springs

Old 07-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering springs

Hello, I am a newbie here, just bought a great low mileage coupe. I'd like some good lowering springs and wanted to know your recomendations.

I'd also like to know if/where you changed/removed the spring pads.

Also, do you recommend a shop do this, or is it rather straightforward?

Thanks so much, I look forward to the forum!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lowering springs

eibach or you can cut the stock ones.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Eibach Pro Kit in about 4 hours. Pretty streight forward installation if you have the right tools. Rears are easy. You may need a spring compressor on the fronts. Do a search on this topic. Lots of info on this Forum.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM

search "lowered my ride for $24.95" I found this very usefull when I installed my Eibachs and Koni's. I'm not fond of cut springs, but the install directions are spot on. One helpfull addition to the instructions, take the front shock out entirely and you will have more room . . . this will make sense when your half way through and have the lower control arm hanging. You might also want a long screw driver or short pry bar to get the control arm free from a diaginal brace. Good luck

Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by Isellthem
search "lowered my ride for $24.95" I found this very usefull when I installed my Eibachs and Koni's. I'm not fond of cut springs, but the install directions are spot on. One helpfull addition to the instructions, take the front shock out entirely and you will have more room . . . this will make sense when your half way through and have the lower control arm hanging. You might also want a long screw driver or short pry bar to get the control arm free from a diaginal brace. Good luck
Glad my old post was able to help you out - I personally love my "cut springs" on the SRT. They perform just like stock only they look a whole-heck-of-a-lot better. I have over 8K miles on this mod and my tires wear evenly...

Enjoy your ride!!

Last edited by BrianBrave; 07-12-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Glad my old post was able to help you out - I personally love my "cut springs" on the SRT. They perform just like stock only they look a whole-heck-of-a-lot better. I have over 8K miles on this mod and my tires wear evenly...

Enjoy your ride!!

Hi BrianBrave,
Your car looks great. Once again, thanks for the informative thread. I stated I wasn't fond of cut springs due to a chattering and or banging noise I had after cutting just 2/3rds of a coil off the rear springs to level the car (got that idea from a different thread). The noise would occur under hard throttle coming out of a corner on washboard road. The noise always came from the inside rear wheel (or unweighted wheel) Yes, I checked it several times, everything was tight. The only thing I could conclude was that the spring was chattering in its perch as the wheel responded to the rapid up and down motion of the washboard surface. I replaced the cut springs with Eibachs and Koni Sports as I planned to do even before I purchased the car (the eibachs were taller then the cut springs that I took out) and the chatter and banging was gone. I know many people have cut springs on this site and I don't hear much in the way of complaints . . . but that was my experience. I'm not surprised that your SRT6 responded differently though because the SRT vehicles have different shocks as well as different springs. . . my guess is the shaft of the SRT shock is shorter so the shock doesn't allow as much suspension travel. This is just a guess on my part, as I say . . . I may work on my own car . . . but I'm a salesman not a tech.
Anyway, I'm very happy with the end result. Thanks again for the post, it gave me enough information to feel confident I could do the job myself.

Last edited by Isellthem; 07-18-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM

So is the consensus that Eibach is the way to go, or are H&R's ok too?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 AM

I'm sure both are fine. If I had it to do all over again I would probably try an H&R cup kit, just because it's a little lower.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 AM

I read a tirerack review for the crossfire H&R Cup kit. The person said that the front wheels rubbed the fenders under hard cornering.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Hey Ryan I have the H&R Kit on my 04'coupe. The ride height is definitely lower the the Eibach but mine also rubs under hard cornering mostly while going down hill maybe due to body roll? The ride is also made very stiff, maybe too stiff for long trips or hot coffee (even with the lid on). All said it hugs the road like a magnet but you have to actively drive the car otherwise its all over the road. If it was my daily driver I might think twice, but it isnt and its hella cool lowered, j