Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Do You Know Your Car?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Do You Know Your Car?

Folks, this may seem a bit long winded, but if it helps a few of you it's worth it.
I am the second owner of a "DOCK QUEEN". My xfire # 36827, was born on 24 June, 2004, in service date 18 August, 2006, registered as a 2005. You can get this info from a dealership or call Chrysler Customer Service. My car has until 17 August, 2009 on 36 month warranty and I have 16,000 miles left. Having said that, DO YOU KNOW YOUR BABY'S HISTORY??
I'm sure your car came with, or should have come with, a TIREFIT Sealant Kit. Have you checked the EXPIRATION DATE on the can? My can EXPIRED June 2008. Here's what I did:

Just for the H*** of it I took the can to the dealer and told the service manager I wanted it replaced under the warranty. He gave me that WTF? look and said he had no answer but the Chry rep was coming the next day and he would call me. He called me early the next day and said the rep told him it was NOT a warranty item. I said ok, but I was going to call cust svc anyway, which he had no problem with.
I called the 800 number in the owners manual and after several "push 1s" I wound up in Pakistan. Guy couldn't help me and said he would call back. Never did.
Next day I did the 800 # again and got a live American. I told her the problem and said the car has no spare, and Chrysler-Daimler supplied these kits. I said I didn't want to get stuck at midnight with an expired can of sealant and a flat tire. I told her I couldn't believe that Chrysler would sell a new car off the lot with equipment already set to expire before the warranty was up.
She put me on hold for a couple minutes and when she came back said the item is not normally warranteed this way, "HOWEVER" in the interests of "GOOD WILL" she told me to order a replacement from the dealer and pay for it, then FAX her the paid receipt and she would send me a refund check.
My replacement is supposed to be in on Monday and I will immediately fax her for the refund.
As soon as I see that it works, I will let you know. I expect there are thousands of these expired cans in Xfires with remaining car warrantys, and I don't want to start a run on the market before the Crossfire folks are taken care of. My can has never been unsealed from the plastic and the dates are visible thru the bag. There is a new part # and the MSRP is $140, so I will give you all info when it works.
John P

Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Do You Know Your Car?

Ooooohhhhhh....

You are GOOD!

Let us know. I'll check mine tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Thanks Ftroopchief...

We'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

roaster with a stick

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Smile Re: Do You Know Your Car?

Follow-up to above post:

Today's results thus far:
HEADS UP, MY CHECK IS IN THE MAIL

I will see in a couple of days if I get my refund, but the FAX was sent with the receipt for the new TIREFIT I picked up from the dealership. t
Chronologally here's what I did:
1. I got "In Service" date from Dealer service dept. You can get it also by calling Cust Svc # in back of owners manual. Both places will ask for last 8 digits or numbers of VIN.
2. I determined the beginning and end dates of the TIREFIT Cannister. Start 06/04 and end 06/08
3. I went to service manager to see about a replacement under waranty and he couldn't answer but said Chrys rep was coming next day. He called me next day and said the rep told him "NOT COVERED".
4. I called Chrysler 800 # and wound up in Pakistan. The "card reader" couldn't answer and said would call me back. Never did.
5. Next day I called Chrysler at 1 (800) 992 1997 and clicked customer service. got a real live American (named Lisa). Explained I had an expired TIREFIT and my car warranty is good to August 2009. I didn't want to get stuck at midnight on a dark road with a TIREFIT that didn't work. Chrysler sold cars with NO SPARE, knowing the TIREFIT would expire before the warranty. She couldn't answer, so told me to hold. After only a couple of minutes, she came back and said, "it's not an item normally covered by warranty, HOWEVER, in the interest of GOODWILL, do this. Order one from your dealer, must be a Chrysler Dealership, pay for it and FAX the invoice, and paid receipt to FAX 2485128084. ATTN: Lisa M. CHRYSLER TIREFIT, and she will mail a check to me for the amount.
6. I ordered the item Fri 08-22-08 at 15:30 and picked it up 08-25-08 at noon. Paid for it by CC at the cashier, and they sent the fax for me no charge.
Cost of new can w/tx was $151.55.
The reason for listing all the steps is to show I made all attempts to get the problem resolved before calling Cust Svc. Also to put the hint of selling a safety defective item(?). This is where inservice date is important to establish warranty data. I also had the service manager run a maintenance history on the car and found the battery had been replaced and the hatchback worked on, by whom and when.
May not affect everyone. If car is out of warranty will be an uphill battle.
Service manager told me today "I didn't believe they would do that". My new TIREFIT Can is dated 12/07 thru 12/11. I told him now if I have a flat and I use it and it ruins my TPMS, I'll be back for warranty service on the TPMS. I also told him I may be a PITA but I'm persistant. He smiled....
PS> new part Number: 5136130AA
John P
GOOD LUCK! Service Manual says to replace every 4 years

Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Man, do you give out good information or WHAT???

Old 08-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Never even gave that can a second thought.
Nice touch, FTroop!
Guess what I'm gonna be checking tomorrow morning?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Actually the tire sealant is not a good fix when you get a flat
Several posts here describe the negative effects of actually using this .
It destroys you tps (tire pressure sensor) and most likely will ruin your tire to.
Most here carry a pair of needle nose pliers and a good tire plug kit.
Do your own quick roadside tire repair with these and use only the air pump supplied to inflate the tire after your repair.
This has proven to be the best and most reliable repair in the long run.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have only 3 answers....AAA...Flatbed....Goodyear....ain't puttin' that crap in my tire...
I thought the redneck from INDIANA with the AR would add this just for fun...shooting airosol cans at 100 yards is actually fun....especially outdated ones..

Last edited by oledoc2u; 08-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Thumbs up Re: Do You Know Your Car?

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Thanks Ftroopchief...

We'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

roaster with a stick
Franc, JK, Do you use your "roaster" with a rotisserrie?

back to TIREFIT. Got my check today for full amount paid, $151.55.
FWIW, I DO NOT, DID NOT, and WILL NOT recommend the use of the TIREFIT. I merely tried to convey what I did about my expired can. Numerous other vehicles have been supplied with this item including Mercedes for many years.
OF NOTE:
<LI class=g>TIREFIT Warning!!!!! - Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forum

Apr 13, 2005 ... TIREFIT, is the air pump/can of fix-a-flat unit that comes with the SRT-8 instead of a spare tire. The unit comes self contained, ...
www.300cforums.com/forums/srt8-specific-general-discussion/5258-tirefit-warning.html - 119k - Cached - Similar pages
<LI class=g style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em">Help... my TireFit fix a flat exploded on my passenger seat ...

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Join Date: Mar 2006. Member Number: 5428. Location: Cleveland. Trader Rating: (0). Posts: 49. Help... my TireFit fix a flat ...
www.300cforums.com/forums/detailing-discussion/58194-help-my-tirefit-fix-flat-exploded-my-passenger-seat.html - 68k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from www.300cforums.com »

Many comments on Mercedes forums. If you ain't EVER, NEVER, NO HOW, gonna use it, why carry it?? Old car salesman joke trying to push a sale, unbuttons his shirt and says pointing to his breasts, "Lady, I ain't gonna have a baby, but these are just in case"!
CASE CLOSED! GOOD LUCK..
John P.