Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Any replace their shocks/springs?

Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any replace their shocks/springs?

I just got a crossfire and I spent today getting to know it better. Part of that was taking the wheels off and looking how the suspension and brakes were installed.

It looks to me like the front shocks and suspension are held in place by two bolts--both of them holding the shocks in place. Is this true, is it that simple? Just unbolt the stop and unbolt the bottom, the contol arms move downward freely and then the springs come loose? And rears seemed the same way?

I got the impression that replacing the front shock/springs would take 20 minutes? If it's that simple, it seems like a crime not to put on a more aggressive suspension!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Any replace their shocks/springs?

the shocks and springs are independent... its very easy to change the shocks... one top bolt and one lower bolt... i had added konis to my crossfire in my garage... very simple task with a few hand tools...

the springs are a bit more difficult... but many prior postings under a search with provide details... i left this to the professionals with my eibach lowering springs...

Old 10-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us have installed the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs and Koni adjustable dampers. I highly recommend this setup. IMO it's the best mod for the $$$. Just do a search and read all about it. Check out the GALLERY photos also.
Congrats on your Crossfire and welcome to the Forum. Now the fun begins... Enjoy.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM

You are correct. This is a fairly easy job, however 20 minutes might be a bit optimistic. I did mine on the garage floor with hand tools. You will need a 13mm to unbolt the front swaybar at the control arm. 16mm to unbolt the shock and 22mm or 7/8th if I remember correctly to unbolt the INNER bolts (two) of the lower control arm. I would suggest removing the shock altogether to provide more clearence. It sounds like you have done this kind of stuff before, but I'll remind you to us a floor jack under the control arm so you can slowly release the tension from the shock and spring during removal. Also use jack stands so you dont wind up with a car on your chest. I remember a number of posts on this same topic. Do a search and combine the ideas. The rears are just as easy . . . but just one bolt on the inner lower control arm. Also, if you want to go low and firm . . . go H&R Cup Kit with 5mm spring pads. With this set up the car will sit almost as low as Andrews Alibaster 2004 . . . check out his gallery. If you want the best combo of ride and handling with a little more ride height go Koni Sport and Eibach. Check out Acrispyones gallery to see how his black car sits. Good luck, be careful, have fun.

LOVE YOUR CORRADO!!! I owned a 93 SLC. Just like the Crossfire . . .Those that have not owned one just don't understand.

Last edited by Isellthem; 10-13-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

Isellthem,

Thank you very much for the instructions! They were very helpful! I have done it before, but on a more simple mcpherson strut front setup and super easy torsion beam rear setup. So why do you need to undo the lower control arm bolts? Once you remove the bolts that hold the shock to the car and the control arm, won't the control arm itself be free to move downwards towards the ground so that both the shocks and springs can be removed?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Two words . . . ball joint. Once the shock and sway bar are unbolted, you can unbolt the control arm at the inner mounting points and swing it out and down. When this comes down the spring drops right out. Again, be carefull when releasing the tension on the spring. Use a floor jack to support the lower control arm when unbolting the control arm. Search for a thread called Lowered my Ride for $24.95. He gave great instructions in the tread . . . Also, remember to take the nut off the top of the shock before you take the weight off the suspension . . . The first time I did this that sucker flew! Remember, I'm a salesman not a tech.

Last edited by Isellthem; 10-13-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Forum Regular

While I'm not at the point where I'm ready to put on a different suspension, this thread has been a great help in visualizing how to get it done when the time does come! Thank you so much for the help!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM

Would MONROE 39044 work for the front shocks?