Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

H&R suspension question

Old 11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R suspension question

I see that tirerack offer the H&R sport cup kit for the crossfire at a reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I would appreciate any input that can be given for this kit. I would like to replace both shocks and springs if I do a suspension upgrade. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H&R suspension question

I currently have a H&R Cup Kit on my car. This is the most aggressive set up I have seen outside of a coil over set up. By aggressive I mean firmest and lowest. Before I installed my Cup Kit I had Eibachs and Konis Sport adjustables in my car. The Eibach and Koni combo offer the best combo of ride and handling IMO. If I drove my car every day 25 miles or more I feel the Cup Kit would be to stiff for my kidneys and back . . . but then again I'm 47, ten years ago I could have cared less. Lucky for me I chose to put 18's all around and much to my surprise (even with the higher load rating of the tires I selected) the ride improved. One negative to the Cup Kit is my car wants to track steer with every rut in the road. I noticed this even before the wider 18" tires and wheels went on. I have to admit, I made the change because I wanted a lower stance then the Eibachs offered. The current generation of Eibach springs for the Crossfire do not lower the car to sit like Andrews former white 2004 car you see so often on this forum. I wanted my car to sit like his former car, almost tucking. A Cup Kit and 5mm front and rear spring pads will get you close. What is most important to you in your suspension upgrade?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isellthem
I currently have a H&R Cup Kit on my car. This is the most aggressive set up I have seen outside of a coil over set up. By aggressive I mean firmest and lowest. Before I installed my Cup Kit I had Eibachs and Konis Sport adjustables in my car. The Eibach and Koni combo offer the best combo of ride and handling IMO. If I drove my car every day 25 miles or more I feel the Cup Kit would be to stiff for my kidneys and back . . . but then again I'm 47, ten years ago I could have cared less. Lucky for me I chose to put 18's all around and much to my surprise (even with the higher load rating of the tires I selected) the ride improved. One negative to the Cup Kit is my car wants to track steer with every rut in the road. I noticed this even before the wider 18" tires and wheels went on. I have to admit, I made the change because I wanted a lower stance then the Eibachs offered. The current generation of Eibach springs for the Crossfire do not lower the car to sit like Andrews former white 2004 car you see so often on this forum. I wanted my car to sit like his former car, almost tucking. A Cup Kit and 5mm front and rear spring pads will get you close. What is most important to you in your suspension upgrade?
Thanks for the info! I am looking for something that lowers the car but offers a decent ride. I don't actually care that much about razor sharp handling as much. Since this isn't a track car for me, looks>handling. How about H&R sport springs and something like Koni shocks.

You said you have 18's all around. How do you like that setup? The same thought has crossed my mind. I think the rear wheels look too big for the body of the car. What wheels do you have? What size rear tires are you running? Any loss in performance with the smaller wheels?

Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllEuro
Thanks for the info! I am looking for something that lowers the car but offers a decent ride. I don't actually care that much about razor sharp handling as much. Since this isn't a track car for me, looks>handling. How about H&R sport springs and something like Koni shocks.

You said you have 18's all around. How do you like that setup? The same thought has crossed my mind. I think the rear wheels look too big for the body of the car. What wheels do you have? What size rear tires are you running? Any loss in performance with the smaller wheels?
You can't go wrong with the Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sports when combined with Koni Sports. I purchased my Koni's and Eibachs from www.shox.com. I think I paid about $850 shipped. I purchased the Cup Kit from the Tire Rack.

As for the tires and wheels. I spent some four months or so torturing myself over what tires and wheels to purchase. I happen to like the staggered diameter wheels, I wanted to keep 19's in the rear but Brabus never made the Monoblock IV 2 piece in a 19. I did want to go wide. My rear wheels are 18x10.5 with a 22mm offset and 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset up front(same as oem wheel offset front and rear) I am running Pirelli P Zero Rosso's 285/35-18's out back and 245/35-18's in front. Both front and rear tires clear just fine. The rears are real snug to the fender wells. The rears are 25.7 in diameter and the fronts are 24.7 in diameter. This is roughly two or three tenths of an inch smaller then the factory size tires diameter. Brabus Monoblock IV's are made by Ronal, the same manufacturer that makes our oem wheels. The fact that they were made by the oem manufacturer and had oem offsets locked it up for me. The hardest part was picking tires that would push the limits but still clear without rolling the fenders or other body mods. I'm real happy with the end result, the tire and wheel combo are a little lighter then oem and the slightly smaller diameter also helps with acceleration. Oh yeah, did I mention I love how it looks. My advise is take your time and check everything two or three times before you buy. Make sure each mod gets you a step closer to the vision you have in your head as to how your car should look and perform.