Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Official Tire Review Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Official Tire Review Thread

Brand: Goodyear
Model: Eagle F1 All Season
Size: Same As Stock
Treadwear: 420 UTQG

Bought these after getting a great amount of wear of the stock Conti's (about 47k). The Eagle F1 All Seasons feature carbon fiber sidewalls and a kevlar belt, meaning they should be very strong. The tires are VERY square, and grip very well, and even did quite good with the horrible winter we had this past year in the Mid-Atlantic.

After about 5k on the tires, they became VERY noisy, especially at low speeds. They do not hold a balance very long, and are tough to balance (accroding to my tire guys). I have had to have them take more than one crack at it on multiple occasions, only to have them go out of balance a short time later. Tread life has been awful, I'm down to 3/32nds after only 15k on the tires, and recently had one replaced after the sidewall developed three bubbles on the INSIDE of the car (facing the engine bay, so it wasn't curb damage). The tires have cupped as well. I have been very disappointed with these tires, given how expensive they were.

I have found via forums for other cars that Goodyear has been offering TireRack customers (and some others) replacements via a "silent recall" because of all the issue they have had with this tire. Supposedly they have fixed some of the issues, but I think the tire is just a bad design. We'll see if they buy mine back, I contacted them this week.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Brand: Michelin
Model: Pilot Sport PS2
Size: 255/35/19
Treadwear: 280
Brief Review of Handling, road noise, durability (based on the miles you've put on them):

I really did not care for how these handled on the srt6 in the curves. It felt unbalanced and like the rear end of the car was too light/was going to break loose even though it never did. The vredistein ultrac tires felt a lot more balanced on the car and on the track. They did pretty good in the rain but nothing spectacular, again the vredistein tires were much better in the wet.

I would not buy them again, i feel they are overhyped.

http://coysdenver.com/images/micheli...-sport-ps2.jpg

SuperView of the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
in calif, where it gets neither too cold nor too wet, these oem replacement tires are fantastic. i took the graphite 6 on a trip to yosemite valley and back from sanger for a break-in run and they were phenomenal in every respect. the only other tire i seriously considered were the pirelli's.

Last edited by musicnsurf; 11-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scraper

Bought these after getting a great amount of wear of the stock Conti's (about 47k). The Eagle F1 All Seasons feature carbon fiber sidewalls and a kevlar belt, meaning they should be very strong. The tires are VERY square, and grip very well, and even did quite good with the horrible winter we had this past year in the Mid-Atlantic.

After about 5k on the tires, they became VERY noisy, especially at low speeds. They do not hold a balance very long, and are tough to balance (accroding to my tire guys). I have had to have them take more than one crack at it on multiple occasions, only to have them go out of balance a short time later. Tread life has been awful, I'm down to 3/32nds after only 15k on the tires, and recently had one replaced after the sidewall developed three bubbles on the INSIDE of the car (facing the engine bay, so it wasn't curb damage). The tires have cupped as well. I have been very disappointed with these tires, given how expensive they were.

I have found via forums for other cars that Goodyear has been offering TireRack customers (and some others) replacements via a "silent recall" because of all the issue they have had with this tire. Supposedly they have fixed some of the issues, but I think the tire is just a bad design. We'll see if they buy mine back, I contacted them this week.

I have these tires on my coupe (bought the coupe about six weeks ago) and notice the same thing in regards to unbalanced and VERY noisy. I swear my roadster is more quiet in comparison. Were you able to get the tires replaced under the "silent recall"?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Forum Regular

Was just about ready to buy a set of these:Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

Right now they are $566 for a FULL set with a $100 VISA card rebate. New tire in Kumho's lineup, not a lot of reviews, BUT...they have a very similar pattern to the PS2s....no?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm trying to order some Conti Extreme DWS but the stock rear tires are on back order (probably forever).
I decided to go with 275/35ZR-19 instead but the tire dealers are all saying I may run into problems.
Has anyone had problems with this size?
I'm thinking there is enough clearance to cover the 6-8/10 of an inch differnce in size/width.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It depends. Are you lowered? I'm lowered and had minor rubbing on the inside fender well with 265/35/19's. I'm back to using stock sizes for that reason. I suspect they will be OK unless the car is lowered.

Les

Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
It depends. Are you lowered? I'm lowered and had minor rubbing on the inside fender well with 265/35/19's. I'm back to using stock sizes for that reason. I suspect they will be OK unless the car is lowered.

Les
Les is correct, as long as you arent lowered, you'll be fine. I'm running 275/35/19 on my rears with no problems at all.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On 9/1/2010 I installed a set of 265/35/19 94 V rated Blizzack LM-25s on the rear. Temps in Sept. here in Kansas got as high as 90 F. Last night = 15 F. Anyway, after 5000 miles only 1/32nd of the tread has worn down.....tire starts with 11/32nds. I have another brand new set in the basement with which to compare & yes....only 1/32nd worn down!!!! 10/32nds left. They handle GREAT!!!!!!! Suggests > 40K mile tire.

The Achilles on the front (225/40/18 400 AA A 92W ) ATR Sports have only worn 2/32nds after >11K miles......still have 8/32nds.....suggests >40K mile tire also.

All 4 were shipped & installed < $500 total.

Last edited by Chris L.; 12-01-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scraper

UPDATE

Kudos to Goodyear, they actually made good out of the situation even though these tires carry no treadwear warranty . They had credited me the full price for a new set of tires and gave me a choice of several models. I had to go to 245's in the rear to get another all season tread (my x-fire is all weather). I did have to pay for install and roadhazard, but that wasn't too bad considering the price of tires for this thing. Nobody makes an all season touring tire for this car anymore. I might have to invest in a set of 18s for the rear to get more tire choices. Anyway, here is what I replaced the F1 All Seasons with:

Model: Eagle GT
Size: Front: Stock - Rear: 245-35-ZR19
Treadwear: 400 UTQG

I just got them and have less than a mile on them, but already they are smoother and not as jarring on the bumps (those carbon fiber sidewalls are STIFF, and that is what did one in hitting a pothole). There are a bit noisy around 40mpg, but what isn't nowandays. As long as they are quiet at highway speeds and last more than 15K, I'll be happy.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM

Crossfire: Limited
Brand: Michelin
Model: Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Tread Wear: 500
Size: 225/40R18 Front, 255/35ZR19XL Rear

After 2 sets of PS2s I decided I was tired of the short tread life (about 20-25k) and changed to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus... First notes were that they were much quieter and had much better traction in the wet and rode smoother then the PS2s. Now after 8k on them there's no change in performance and they still look brand new with still plenty of tread left.

pilotsport.jpg

Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 AM

Two 255-35-19 Hankook Ventus V12 Tires just found a new home on the rear rims of my 04 Xfire Coupe. Price being a major part of selection, but think I'm going to be happy with the way they handle and ride. Time and miles will tell. I kelp my front tires (Pilots) since they still had good tread. Anyone in the Athens GA area would do well to check out the Porterfield Tire Shop in Watkinsville, Ga. Good service and fair pricing.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular

Crossfire SRT6
Brand- Kumho Ecsta KU31
Size- 275/30/19

I just got these today and they are brilliant perhaps the best mod i have done so far. I used the gtec tonight, my better times were 4.01 3.95 and a pb 3.90. I was in shock, its my first tire upgrade and have significantly improved my 0-60 which was 4.4 previously. A good rev launch sets me up to go full throttle right off the bat which was something i was never able to do in the past. Im going to hit the track soon and see what comes of this drastic improvement in gtec times

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ECSTA_Ecsta_KU31.jpg (21.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM

2006 Machine Grey SRT-6.................is that a one-of-a-kind?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
1 of 12. So... I'd say so.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Originally Posted by 04Fire
1 of 12. So... I'd say so.
There weren't that many 2006 SRT-6's anyway and Machine Gray would be a stunner!!!! Wonder if any of these made it to the States?

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Update.....Achilles ATRs 225/40/18...W...400.....after 21,000 miles....6/32nds left from original 10. Wearing evenly...still quiet....no complaints.....$67.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Kumho Ecsta XS mounted in march, 500 miles, 1/2 used up. I hope to get 2 more track days out of them. Scream like Aerosmith on the road but stick like superglue at the track. Don't even think about it for a daily driver. For a track only car, for the price you won't find more grip ....... maybe Yokohama Advan AD08's. Equal grip, real nice daily driver, good in the wet, THEY DON'T MAKE THEM IN THE SIZE I WANT DANG IT!!! My contribution.

Les

BTW, 2006 Aero blue SRT-6. I'm loving it!

Last edited by velociabstract; 06-10-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Decided to scour the thread and see what people were using/suggesting.

As mine is pretty much a daily driver, I went with the DWS's last year. This year I found the rears to be in need of replacing just prior to the RME CAA however, I didn't have time to get them replaced as nobody carries them and TireRack was/is on back order.

Overall, I really liked the way the tires handled in dry and wet pavement - much better than the stock Conti's which didn't last 20k and better than the General Exclaim UHP's which were much better than the Conti's, but around 20-21k

Rear mileage prior to driving to CAA - about 22,401 (remember they were close enough to replace so no need to figure after CAA)

Front mileage upon returning from CAA - on the fronts is at 25,943 and just now down to the DW with the S gone.

To me that is pretty good and would be better had I noticed the "outside" stamp on the tire that would allow me to rotate side to side from what I understood from James (yes, still learning at my age - especially with cars). I'm sure I could have tweaked out more on the rears as well though I don't think much past the 25k mark.

As I've got a spare set of 18's and the manual says you can/should use the same size tires as the front all around in the winter, I'm going to be getting those spares cleaned up (curb rash) and start running 18's for about 5-6 month's a year for when I get stuck with a snow that wasn't projected.

Problem is, the DWS's are only projected to be received by TireRack 9/13 and I'm heading out on vacation prior to the 19th. So I'll be making some calls to make sure nobody has them here but I may just go with the General G-MAX AS-03 even though there is no data on snow traction; but those are out with an estimated 8/10 delivery. I know, PPP...but wish me luck anyway.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzer
Decided to scour the thread and see what people were using/suggesting.

As mine is pretty much a daily driver, I went with the DWS's last year. This year I found the rears to be in need of replacing just prior to the RME CAA however, I didn't have time to get them replaced as nobody carries them and TireRack was/is on back order.

Overall, I really liked the way the tires handled in dry and wet pavement - much better than the stock Conti's which didn't last 20k and better than the General Exclaim UHP's which were much better than the Conti's, but around 20-21k

Rear mileage prior to driving to CAA - about 22,401 (remember they were close enough to replace so no need to figure after CAA)

Front mileage upon returning from CAA - on the fronts is at 25,943 and just now down to the DW with the S gone.

To me that is pretty good and would be better had I noticed the "outside" stamp on the tire that would allow me to rotate side to side from what I understood from James (yes, still learning at my age - especially with cars). I'm sure I could have tweaked out more on the rears as well though I don't think much past the 25k mark.

As I've got a spare set of 18's and the manual says you can/should use the same size tires as the front all around in the winter, I'm going to be getting those spares cleaned up (curb rash) and start running 18's for about 5-6 month's a year for when I get stuck with a snow that wasn't projected.

Problem is, the DWS's are only projected to be received by TireRack 9/13 and I'm heading out on vacation prior to the 19th. So I'll be making some calls to make sure nobody has them here but I may just go with the General G-MAX AS-03 even though there is no data on snow traction; but those are out with an estimated 8/10 delivery. I know, PPP...but wish me luck anyway.
You may want to look into the Achilles ATR's that Chris L has posted comments about. Seems to be reasonable quality all-season tire and price/availability is very reasonable.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post610802

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks, but too late,

I found a local shop that will have the DWS's for the rear tomorrow. Right around the same price as TireRack depending on where you go to have them installed. I've been happy with the DWS's for the most part, but we'll see how they go with side to side rotation.

If not too good, I may consider those....or just going with 18's all around and getting Koni's, Eibach's, and rear spacers to make it look better.

Quick Reply: Official Tire Review Thread