Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires

Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires

When I first bought my Xfire, it came with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. Those worked well till they wore about halfway down and started howling something awful. They went south real fast after that. Next set were the Hankook Ventus V12s. Great tires but the backs didn't last long at all. Next up were the Falken FK452s. Best set yet, but the rears also went fast and the drive was always a little squirrelly.
Now these General G-Max AS-03 are absolutely the best tires I've had on the car yet. I went with the 275/35-19 on the rear like I did with the Hankooks and the Falkens, but stepped up to the 235/40-18 on the fronts where I always kept them OEM before. These are the smoothest and quietest tires I've ever had. And the performance in rain or shine is phenomenal. They're made by Continental and have a 40,000 mile /72 month warranty. And price is right along the Hankooks. These are fairly new on the market and you can find out more about them here:
General Tire G-MAX Tire Test - Motor Trend

I'll post some picks once the weather clears...they simply look awesome!!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires

I have those same Goodyears on my roadster. I can't say I really love them, and once they are gone, I was looking to Hankooks. I read the article, and I like the looks of the tread. Thanks for posting this up. Gives me another choice to look at. I wouldn't just have a summer compound that way.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Doc, I would seriously consider these over the Hankooks. They have almost twice the UTQG rating (480) compared to the V12s (280) and a great warranty. These are replacing the Exclaim UHPs that alot of people raved about, and the price is about as cheap as you can get for UHPs. Reviews on Tirerack are very positive. Some have stated a little flex in the sidewall, which I noticed at first, but a couple more pounds of air made all the difference. Of coarse, with the taller sidewalls I get with the larger tires, this was expected. But the ride comfort was what I was after and these are amazing. The car used to plow a bit in the high speed cornering with the 225s on front, but the 235s have eliminated that altogether. I just point and turn and wow, what a difference.

Here's the link to The TireRack reviews:

TireRack.com Tire Reviews

Everyday I drive I get more impressed with these G-Maxs.

Last edited by syfi; 10-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree this is an excellent tire. Quiet and lighter in weight. They compare well with the Mich's Sports. This is what I plan to buy for my next set.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm inpressed, I was going to get Hankooks in Nov, but this looks so good I think I will give these a shot!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

I like the aspect of having an all-season performance tire reasonably priced. While I'm not going to drive the XFire in snow or icey condtions, it does get cold down here and the summer tires don't perform as well under that condition. Added these to my 'Wish List' under Tire Rack account.

Later,

Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM

we just put these on the rear of our crossfire. Great so far! Getting an alignment done and hopefully will be good to go.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

the cost of these are 210 to 220. for the rear and 110 to 120 on the front ,, I may be able to get them cheaper but the shipping will kill you .
tire rack

General G-MAX AS-03 (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

N/AReviewer's
Avg. Rating:

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked my 2005 Crossfire up this past Friday...Limited Coupe with 13,755 miles on it. It still has the original tires on it and the backs are due for a change. Based on what I've read I ordered a set of Generals for the car. I got the 275's for the back and original size for the front. I'll let ya'll know how they turn out.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I put these on my car about 2 weeks ago and the jury is still out. I was going to wait until I had them on for a month or two before posting an opinion, but seeing this thread made me decide to throw in my .02
I haven't had any wet weather to test them in. However, I find it quite easy (read too easy) to break the rear loose on dry pavement. This is especially true when using the throttle to help make a quick turn.

Kurt

Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old442
I haven't had any wet weather to test them in. However, I find it quite easy (read too easy) to break the rear loose on dry pavement. This is especially true when using the throttle to help make a quick turn.
Kurt
I agree with Kurt. Since I've put a few thousand miles on my new "rear" Generals (That I had to buy in Texas on my way back from the CAA event in August), I've noticed they do seem to break loose real quick if you apply just a tad too much pedal pressure when making a quick turn.
Actually though, I don't mind it.
They seemed to hold the road just fine on the Dragon.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 AM
FP

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I agree with Kurt. Since I've put a few thousand miles on my new "rear" Generals (That I had to buy in Texas on my way back from the CAA event in August), I've noticed they do seem to break loose real quick if you apply just a tad too much pedal pressure when making a quick turn.
Actually though, I don't mind it.
They seemed to hold the road just fine on the Dragon.
I get the same with my Michelins super sports, and they cost much more.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM

The lug design of these tires look like once you get some wear on these they will be noisy. Compare these to the BF Goodrich and I think you'll see the similarity in the design. I have the Goodrich they have been getting louder and louder the more wear I get on them. While they were new they gripped like glue and were quiet, but after about 5,000 they got loud. That is just the nature of that lug design, much is much like 4x4 tires, just tighter spacing.

I don't mean to rain on the parade but I'll wait to hear the response after someone gets about 10,000 mi on them.

Xfirepop

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by xfirepop
The lug design of these tires look like once you get some wear on these they will be noisy. Compare these to the BF Goodrich and I think you'll see the similarity in the design. I have the Goodrich they have been getting louder and louder the more wear I get on them. While they were new they gripped like glue and were quiet, but after about 5,000 they got loud. That is just the nature of that lug design, much is much like 4x4 tires, just tighter spacing.
I don't mean to rain on the parade but I'll wait to hear the response after someone gets about 10,000 mi on them.
Xfirepop
Xfirepop makes a good point.
Akron use to be known as the Rubber Capital of the Nation. (No, not THAT kind of Rubber) and pretty much everybody had at least one family member or neighbor who worked in the Rubber Industry.
Goodyear, Firestone, B.F. Goodrich, Siberling, Mohawk, General all had their plants here.
It was common kowledge every manufacturer had their own tire inadequacies they had to deal with.
Years ago, Goodyear struggled with a side wall cracking problem. Firestone dealt with ply separation problems. General tires were know to howl, as they got more miles put on them, and Mohawk tires would "thump" until they warmed up.
The only problem I remember for Goodrich, was a ply separation problem with their Belted tires, but not with their radials.
I worked for Goodrich for 16 years, and I can honestly say I've had my best luck with their Radial TA brand than any other tire from Goodyear or Firestone I've had.
But the main reason I never purchased a Goodrich tire for our Crossfire was I had read here on the forum about them being noisy. I remembered the old tale about Generals being noisy as well, but that was years ago, and I hoped the new ones might be different. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how they do as the miles pile up.
Personally, I don't see a similarity between the Goodrich tread design and the Generals that I have on my Crossfire, but maybe I'm thinking of a different Goodrich tire than the type Xfirepop has.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
FP

I can tell you my sister has hem on here Volvo. I just recently drove her car while visiting her in Dallas. She has over 8K miles on them, and they were very quiet.

Last edited by FP; 11-16-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 PM

I'll say my piece and then let it go only because I really, really, REALLY hate my Goodrich tires. Normal conversation at cruising speeds are not possible without raising your voice. It's embarrassing. The wear point I'm concerned about is the center lug that bears a resemblance to the Goodrich. They cup as part of normal wear, no alignment or balancing will prevent it. It is just normal wear. The end result is the hum of a 4 x 4 tire.

Okay, tirade over. Thank you for your patience from an old Goodyear technician, who has mounted hundreds of tires.

Rick B.

PS: I'm still hunting down the saleperson that told me that problem was solved by a new rubber compound. He is doomed ! Sacramento is not that big of town.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by xfirepop
Okay, tirade over. Thank you for your patience from an old Goodyear technician, who has mounted hundreds of tires.
Rick B.

Rick I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just didn't see the resembalance between the two tires. But thanks to the photos you posted I see what you were talking about..
I hope the Generals that I got don't start howling like your BFG's, because I really appreciate how quiet the Crossfire is. That's why I'll probably never change my "stock" exhaust.
It funny that you mentioned the "rubber compound" change on the BFG's. I think I heard the same thing too, just can't remember where.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM

hi, just had my generals checked at big o, 3000, miles even ware, running 40 pounds of air ,ted owener at big o, said to try it, so far good ... love the car, fixed the cup holder ... put my own in looks good,an it works.... jkballuff@hotmail.com , 06 roadster ltd.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...had the Generals for a couple months now and so far so good. Not the quietest in the world but the ride is improved and they handle better than the originals. I've put around 1200 miles on them. I'm glad I went with the 275's on the rear. Now to change the wheels...

Charley

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a set of the General Acclaim ..( not sure on the spelling) but they were the absolute worst tire I have ever purchased , only got around 10,000 miles the rubber actually started to break down , Really bad experence for me..... .

Quick Reply: General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires