Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

KYB Shocks well worth the $$

Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default KYB Shocks well worth the $$

So just to give some quick feedback for anyone thinking about shocks...

I install the KYB's all around a few weeks ago. They're great. My car only had 35K miles so I wondered how much of an improvement I would get. I wish I would have installed these when I first bought the car. The stock suspension was really harsh on small bumps. Now they are no problem. The cornering is also better. I got them for about $55 each on KYB's website.

If you are thinking about this, look up Lantana's review from a few years ago and read through it for tips, etc. My ride is stock height SRT, don't know how these will work on a lowered.

You have to compress the shocks then set them in place and let expand. Make sure you do it right. The fronts are no issue. On the rear, once they are expanded you aren't going to compress them. I learned this the hard way. The instructions are crap. What you need to know is: washer, large rubber bushing, car, small rubber bushing, washer, nut.

Good luck

Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: KYB Shocks well worth the $$

Would you share the web link? I am trying to find them on the KYB site and they keep showing me
Monroe for my car and no kyb

Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Forum Regular

They're under mercedes.

KYB

Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQfun
Would you share the web link? I am trying to find them on the KYB site and they keep showing me
Monroe for my car and no kyb
I searched for:

2003 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK320

And found KG4732 listed in the rear, KG4731 in the front.

http://www.justsuspension.com/kyb-ga...er-kg4731.html
http://www.justsuspension.com/kyb-ga...er-kg4732.html

About $235 for all four, I'm ok with that.

Now, just wonder if they indeed WOULD fit a Limited.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-14-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Oh, damn, I got it right!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they indeed fit a limited. Bought through Rock Auto front about 46 rear about 49. Two motor mounts 27.50 ea. 1 Trans mount 13.50. was 299 with shipping. All are installed and functioning properly.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

doing kyb install right now and noticed that the front shocks from kyb are much longer than the stock shocks in place. Rears seem to be the same length??

Anyone know if this seems or sounds right?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
doing kyb install right now and noticed that the front shocks from kyb are much longer than the stock shocks in place. Rears seem to be the same length??

Anyone know if this seems or sounds right?
I did notice a difference in the height but I just figured since mine had just shy of 100K on them and were blown (Guam has the worst roads in the world) I figured that explained the difference in height. The KYBs are a lot firmer and I've had them for almost a year and I'm very happy with them.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 AM

2003 slk320 then they will fit. Ride is great a little bounce but no jar.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SNAKEWOLF
2003 slk320 then they will fit. Ride is great a little bounce but no jar.
So, anyone bottoming out on their tire or the bump stop? With Ebiach springs? Higher speed, over changes in elevation while turning. Seems like the car is rubbing something hard. Stock shocks never did that. I would bottom on the bump stops I forgot to tell the tech to shave.I'm hoping the ride softens just a hair. This baby is super tight, little harsh on rough surfaces.

Do you have part#s for motor and trans mounts. Mopar? Poly?

So do I shave the kyb bump stops? Wtf is rubbing? Sorry guys, thought I was solid if vehicle aligned with springs installed. Seems to sit even lower now with kyb gasadjust. I'm tempted to have it aligned again.

Last edited by mobilefitt; 05-20-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have eibach on the car. What size rims. I'm confused. Are you saying the car is lower now with the KYB

Old 05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular

KYB is settle lower than stock shocks. I do have Eibach springs and love what they have done to my limited roadster. I'm hearing a scuffing noise on hard turns. Car is tight but it sounds like something is scrubbing hard up front. I have 10mm spacers on stock wheels on the front, 15mm on stock rear. What's did I miss?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

I installed them with the stock springs and 10mm spacers on the front. Didn't notice any height difference.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

Shocks can't change ride height.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular

Im talking millimeters lower. Enough for the tires to rub the inner fender up front on both sides. My car would scuff on big bumps only, but now, I have a turn on the way to my house that changes elevation....( traffic circle). It's scuffing hard, every time now.

Maybe some slightly thicker spring pads? Im wondering if using the stock rubber in between the shock and the undercarriage would make a difference? I'm thinking it would bring the car even lower that way....

I'd like to get my car right without ground control. ( as close to right as I can). The I will do a clear DIY, suspension refresh, springs, shocks, sway bar links, sway bar up front, and bushings in the back. Get the alignment in spec and then do a DIY for everyone to follow. So far, I haven't needed camber adjustments... to my surprise. I'm thinking I am missing something here and the complete DIY's are all for Koni.... etc.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:12 PM

I tried installing the KYB on the front of my 2006 Roadster, compressed before installing but couldn't keep compared to install. Any ideas on how to keep compressed? I tried Gorilla Tape but it pulled the plastic shield off the piston end on one.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:20 AM

I also replaced the shocks on my 2006 Roadster which I recently purchased. The original shocks were still in place after 89,000 miles! What an improvement.

I learned a trick to speed installation. Compress the shocks with a pipe or bar clamp and wrap the ends with soft wire. (landscape wire is great!) See pics. Then insert the shocks with the bottom bolt and cut and remove the wire. A short piece of plastic tubing on the upper stem helps guide the shock into place.

Shaves huge time and effort off the installation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shock.JPG (2.77 MB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg
Shock 2.JPG (3.09 MB, 128 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a good tip, I am surprised though, every time I bough gas charged shocks (for other cars), they came with a retaining strap keeping them compressed. You would snip it off after install.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

When it came time to replace my struts I first went with the Koni yellows but after one in the front blew, I concluded these are to soft for a DD. So I took them off and put on some Bilstein B6's front and rear. This is a heavy duty strut that is stiff. I like them but the car can beat you up on long rides but its a sports car and not a GT car so thats expected.

Last edited by philosophico; 02-22-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed new KYB shocks on my car a few months back and they are way too bouncy.

My car was riding a bit too rough, so I changed them out hoping to get a smoother ride, but now it is like I am just riding on springs or something and the car bottoms out when I go over big dips ( perhaps it is the tires hitting and rubbing inside wheel wells?? ).

Here are the ones I purchased.

KYB 4731 Fronts
KYB 4732 Rears

Any ideas of where I can start in getting this resolved?

Thanks.

Last edited by XFireCrazy; 08-27-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: KYB Shocks well worth the $$