Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Broken bushings on front lower control arms

Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Broken bushings on front lower control arms

I'm not experienced working on the suspension so I'm seeking some pointers . . .

I saw that the rescue roadster had noticable negative camber on the front wheels so I took it in to get a four wheel alignment yesterday. "We" discovered that there were broken bushings in both the left and right front lower control arms. To accomplish a quick fix, I located a pair of used lower control arms at a salvage yard that came out of a 2005 Crossfire with only 12,000 miles on the clock. So I plan to R&R both front lower control arms. My immediate question is:

After lifting and blocking up the front end of the car, do I need a spring compressor tool to R&R the lower control arms or can I use a floor jack to put upward pressure on the control arm, remove the bolts and then lower the jack to release the spring pressure and remove the control arm?

My other questions relate to installing new and improved bushings into those broken front lower control arms. I researched the forum and it seems replacing those bushings could be a difficult task but it can be done. I see that K-MAC has what I believe would be improved front lower control arm bushings available.

http://www.k-mac.com.au/pages/newpro...r/chrysler.htm

Should I get those or should I wait for the ground control kits to be released (actually I don't really know if new / improved lower control arm bushings are part of the ground control kits or not)? Hoping that some forum members with with suspension experience will chime in with recommendations for me. Thanking you in advance . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-29-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Broken bushings on front lower control arms

The MB bushings are for comfort and allow lots of movement, then crack and allow too much but give a nice isolated ride. The Kmacs affect the ride on the street. They also sharpen up the turn in and feel of the road. Just be forewarned about the negative side.

You don't need a spring compressor. It can be done with a jack and patience. GC isn't making anything for the control arms. No bushings. Just springs, shocks bump stops, perches .... that I know of.

Les