Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Barnum tires

Old 01-11-2020, 12:29 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Barnum tires

I was driving our limited roadster yesterday and started hearing tire tread slapping the underside of the car. I was about a mile from a Discount Tire so I limped in to see about new tires.The ones on the car were about used up anyway. I was quoted over nine hundred dollars for Barums and was told the widest width they made for the rear was 245. If I would pass on the road hazard the price dropped into the $800 range. Left the car in the parking lot, had my wife pick me up and went home to check price online. Discount’s web site showed the right sizes and came in at $300 something. Printed it out, went back to the store and wound up at $438 out the door. Why does everything have to be so hard?

tried to edit the thread title but can’t. They are really not circus tires.

Last edited by JSK; 01-11-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Barnum tires

$900 for those are nutts. Sure shops have to make a profit, but they don't have to gouge customers.
think i would try the atlas tires over barum 's

Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
$900 for those are nutts. Sure shops have to make a profit, but they don't have to gouge customers.

How can you fault the tire for someone trying to sell them at a super high price? I read your post three times shaking my head, maybe I am missing something?.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 01-14-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:35 PM
JSK

Did you read the whole post? They were actually $438 mounted and balanced including taxes and fees.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM

Yes I read the thread, stated that they originally wanted 900
Then next day went back to store and was 438

Was not faulting the tire, just that for the price range for tires the atlas tires would be a better choice for me. Since they are both comparable in price, but I think the atlas is cheaper

Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to be an entrepreneur to truly appreciate the store owner/manager. They must have been polite, friendly and reasonable to deal with or you wouldn't have kept negotiating. The way I see it you should be promoting how great this shop treats people, because the evidence says they do. Did you ever pay full price for a house, car, car part??? You didn't for these tires either. Get it. Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Versatile
You have to be an entrepreneur to truly appreciate the store owner/manager. They must have been polite, friendly and reasonable to deal with or you wouldn't have kept negotiating. The way I see it you should be promoting how great this shop treats people, because the evidence says they do. Did you ever pay full price for a house, car, car part??? You didn't for these tires either. Get it. Just sayin'.
Call me cynical but that is one way to spin it but I tend to think they were thinking of ripping off an owner of a car in an emergency situation.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That’s shocking. I bought Barnum tires back in September at Discount Tire, and didn’t have that kind of problem. The price online was the price they quoted and I paid.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Call me cynical but that is one way to spin it but I tend to think they were thinking of ripping off an owner of a car in an emergency situation.
DITTO that point!!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bluto408
That’s shocking. I bought Barnum tires back in September at Discount Tire, and didn’t have that kind of problem. The price online was the price they quoted and I paid.
That is the experience nearly all of us have with Discount Tire when purchasing the Barum tires. My cost for a set of OEM sized tires, mounted & balanced, was $480.50 back in 2016. Back then the local Discount Tire store didn't stock the tires. I ordered from their Discount Tire Direct website & had the Barum's shipped to the local Discount Tire store. Now they keep a complete set in stock for the Crossfire - quite a few Owners in my area. But the only issue is that anyone wanting a wider tire for the rear can't get a Barum tire. And I'm sort of picky regarding mixing tires on any of my cars.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-15-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
And how many people go in there for tires that do not know any better.
Making a buck is one thing, being outrageous is another.

if a place is close ior descent on a price, I don't haggle, shopping brick and mortar store.

Lol, I remember one time I was broke down and towed to a tire shop the night before, next day I walked back and with their price, I jacked up my car and took the tire off and carried it 1 - 2 blocks down the road and was in and out, and they gave me a ride back and offered to put it on my car (which was sitting in competitors front parking lot)

Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally. I'm not very interested in the price, I'll shop or barter for that. But, WHAT ABOUT THAT BRAND OF TIRE? Any comments on the tire and NOT the price?

Jim

Old 01-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Personally. I'm not very interested in the price, I'll shop or barter for that. But, WHAT ABOUT THAT BRAND OF TIRE? Any comments on the tire and NOT the price?

Jim

The Barum Bravuris is made by Continental (European version). The Continental website accepts warranty registration as well, check out that warranty and you may never again buy the 'tire service' offered by these TIRE stealerships! BTW, they ride real nice!

Old 01-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian

Jim
As stated previously, these tires are part of the Continental family and FWIW, Continental outsells Michelin in Europe. Below is a performance comparison w/pricing of the Bravuris 3HM with other premium tire brands on OEM sizes for the Crossfire. The Bravuris clearly holds its own in the performance comparison with a lower cost point. A tire doesn't have to be expensive to deliver performance results (IMO). There are quite a few Crossfire Owners using this tire brand.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-16-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never have I had a problem with Discount Tire
Highly like them
Store in Sacramento gave me a tire once to get home on, at 5pm Saturday night closing time
Will always shop there
Just my $0.02

Old 01-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Count me as also being very happy with the Barum Bravuris 3 tires. I did quite a bit of research and comparative shopping and found these to be a very good tire for the money. I've had them for two summers now and they handle great. Discount Tire was very easy to deal with. Set of 4 was under $500.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW! Now that's saying a lot about the tire. All good to know. Sounds like they are a nice bargain. Didn't know they were made by Continental. Thanks for the information.

Jim

Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 PM

The barum tires are made in Czech and a summer only tire, not meant for temps under 40°

Am I the only one that the title has been bugging me on the "barum" tires ?

Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The barum tires are made in Czech and a summer only tire, not meant for temps under 40°

Am I the only one that the title has been bugging me on the "barum" tires ?
says all season tread.......

For an ultra-high-performance tire that wont break the bank, choose the Barum Bravuris 3 UHP tire. This tire, only available from Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct, uses an asymmetric tread and closely spaced exterior blocks to deliver optimum steering response. It has an all-season tread pattern with four circumferential grooves to deliver good traction on wet and dry roads, and rides quietly because of a closed shoulder block design. These great features make the Barum Bravius 3 a good fit for your performance-oriented sedan or sporty compact.”

Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 AM
JSK

My apologies for the butchered title but when I saw what I had done I tried to fix it but seems you can’t edit the title. I did have them installed Tuesday and they actually wound up at $468 total. I think I was working with a rookie, when I went back with the print out from their website he had to get help to get the pricing right. I haven’t driven on the new tires. The car is in my garage on the hoist. I took the factory wheels with the worn out tires to them to be dismounted and had the new tires installed on the TSW wheels I took off my black SRT. Im Going to do brakes and a couple other things before I put it back together.

Quick Reply: Barnum tires