Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Self sealing tires or run flat

Old 01-24-2005, 01:59 AM
xfire embrace
Default Self sealing tires or run flat

Am newborn member here. So hiya everyone.

I have gathered quite an info. regarding self sealing tires or run flat tires. I am running my xfire back and fro in a construction site for abt 9 mths since last week. The thought of stressing my tires and car... I decided to have these tires fix. I heard the tires are costly, lifespan is shorter than normal tires and electronic component in the car has to be tuned to suit the tires. That much I know.
What I want to know further is/are:
Is it suitable for xfire to have these tires?
Will it affect any other parts or system or performance of the car?

If there is any elaboration on those, I will appreciate very much.
Thank you.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 AM
PJA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Self sealing tires or run flat

I also would like any information anyone has regarding these tires.

Pete

Old 01-26-2005, 01:46 PM
PJA
Default Re: Self sealing tires or run flat

Back to top.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular

Here's some data from TireRack on run flats.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...at/runflat.jsp

The only problem you might have with using either tire on the Crossfire is availability in the proper size. A self sealing tire is essentially a normal tire with a liner to provide the sealing. These tires should ride and handle like a normal tire, and don't require the tire pressure monitors, although it would be a good idea to use them since you can still have a flat if the puncture or cut is large enough.

The run flat tires would be a little stiffer riding since the sidewall is reinforced to provide the run flat capability. The stiff sidewall will not allow the driver to sense when the tire is flat, so you have to have tire pressure monitors with run flats, but the OEM monitors should work fine.

Other than the added stiffness, there shouldn't be any other affects on other systems or car performance, as long as you stick with a performance tire with the same speed rating, load rating, etc.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM

The michelins that come with the Crossfire are made in the exact same size as a run flat.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by christo76
The michelins that come with the Crossfire are made in the exact same size as a run flat.
says who? I haven't been able to find a manufacturer the makes them in the same size as the crossfires.(225/40-18's and 255/35/19's)

Old 01-26-2005, 04:33 PM

doh my mistake.... went to the michelin site and looked up the PS2s and thought the /RF designation meant run-flat, apparantly its the european designation for /XL. http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pd...otsportps2.pdf

However, they do seem to make the Pilots, in run-flat (zero pressure) for the front wheels. Unless the ZP stands for something else..... in which case I can't find a single michelin that is Zero-Pressure like they say they have.

http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pd...pilotsport.pdf

I will admit I just looked for the basic 225/40zr18 and not any other tire specs, so don't know if other things don't quite match up.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:13 PM

crossfire design engineer said they considered run-flats but they made the ride too rough.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyedad42
crossfire design engineer said they considered run-flats but they made the ride too rough.
That sounds pretty funning when I hear a complaint about the SRT6 is that it rides too rough. It didn't have to be that stiff to handle well. How rough can run flats be? The Vet's ride isn't that bad. Sometimes I just don't understand engineers, ( and I am one)

Old 02-18-2005, 04:48 PM

when you have stiff sidewalls like runflats do, every bump in the road is transmitted to your butt. It can be pretty uncomfortable. I had a 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster that felt like you were going over railroad ties when you went over a tarstrip. That was due to the suspension rather than the tires. Same reason the srt-6 is so rough.