Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Aftermarket Coil Springs. Anyone w/ First-Hand Experience?

Old 06-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Coil Springs. Anyone w/ First-Hand Experience?

I've searched the forums and it seems like there's a lot of "well, in theory"-type-posts out there, but I'm hoping someone who's actually purchased and installed aftermarket coil springs from Eibach, H&R, or one of the other manufacturers can give me some personal insight.

My 2004 Limited has two busted springs in the front, and my options are either to import two OEM springs from Europe (~$200 once you factor in the cost of S&H), or to buy an aftermarket kit here in the US (~$250 for all four springs). I have no particular desire to lower the car since it's my DD, but it seems silly to pay double for OEM parts.

I was wondering if anyone else has installed the lowering springs from Eibach or H&R (or any other mfr) and how much it changed the ride? Too stiff for a DD? Do you find yourself constantly scraping the front lip on things? Any premature wear on the tires or other suspension components?

Also any thoughts about WHICH aftermarket manufacturer to go with would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward Eibach just because they're bigger/more established than any of the little aftermarket/tuner companies that also make lowering springs, but I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Default Re: Aftermarket Coil Springs. Anyone w/ First-Hand Experience?

Should probably have mentioned:

1.) I have new KYB struts that are going in at the same time

2.) If anyone has a set of low-mileage OEM springs sitting in their garage I'd be interested in buying!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed eibach springs and I have the original springs from my roadster.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5135480AA SPRING | OEM Mopar

Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why pay 77 for 1 when you can get a set for 100

Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Search for used coil/air spring @ car-parts.com
Cost between $25 - $50 ea.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Sorry Trenzman, I already bit the bullet on a set of H&R springs, plus 5-dot spring pads from needswings to (hopefully) keep it as close to stock ride height as possible. I guess we'll see...

Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 AM

Update:

It'ss been two weeks, and honestly I don't think the car sits any lower on the H&R springs than it did on (broken) stock springs. Not enough to be noticeable in terms of the stance or fender gap. I did also get the tallest spring pads that Needswings had available (5-dots in the front and 4-dots in the rear) so that should have more or less compensated for the 1.0"-1.5" drop of the springs. I had the shop put in new KYB struts while they were in there. They reported no difficulty getting the wheels to factory-spec camber.

The handling is WILDLY improved. Of course since it had 2 broken springs and the original (80K miles) shocks, that's to be expected, but I don't remember the car ever feeling this solid even when it was new. I didn't realize how "bouncy" the ride had gotten. The new setup is massively confidence-inspiring: the car probably always had way more grip than I realized, but now it stays level and planted enough that I feel comfortable taking corners much faster. The stiffness / ride-harshness is basically unchanged: still at the limits of what I'd consider acceptable as a daily driver, but totally fine by the standards of sports cars. No worse than any number of little economy cars I've driven, at any rate.

The Total cost for the springs, pads, and shocks was somewhere around $525, which is what I would have paid for JUST THE SPRINGS buying OEM parts through Mopar/Chrysler dealerships.

Pretty happy about how this has worked out so far: much improved handling AND cheaper than stock, with minimal if any difference in the ride quality and height. Good stuff.