Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Less expensive tire alternative?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Less expensive tire alternative?

Hello folks!

I need a set of new tires and would like to know if there is a less expensive alternative out there to the Michelin Pilot Sport ps2. I wonder how much you guys are paying on tires and what your experience with less expensive tires is. Please name some different tire models and how you liked them!

Thanks for all responses!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Less expensive tire alternative?

General G-Max...just as good as Michelins

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...SortCode=57430

Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I purchased my Base model 2 years ago, the previous owner had installed Kumho Ecsta LE Sport on all four tires. I've driven around 10,000 miles in 2 years, not quite sure the mileage on tires prior to purchasing. Well the backs were down to the tire warning marker and the fronts still have some tread but are rough, mane a balance or alignment. Then he checked and claims the driver from is out of round perhaps from a pot hole. Both tires he said were "choppy". Tire Rack claims you get around 10,000 miles on front and maybe 18,000 on rear on Kuhmo. I drive primarily in spring summer, do get rainy storm situations, would prefer an all season-maybe. So today, I spent $436 on 2 new rears thinking I'll get a little more bang for the buck left on the CF front tires that were purchased. I have heard mach about tire noise and am trying to get that technology wrapped around my head. Though, am hearing some contradictory comments. They did try to sell Felcan tires for around $600 and change installed. I took a pass. I never heard of Falcen. I like the idea of tires that can be run on a flat, Eagle has one, possible the Fi All season- if this is accurate. Any thoughts out there? Not interested in winter driving but would prefer better stability in wet weather. Thanks to all who respond!!

Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nitto Motivo.

500 UTQG

60K Wear Warranty.

I've always wondered why I would buy tires that are warrantied ONLY to wear out in 15K miles. I just don't track the car very often.

I've been running these for a while now and love them. Predictable, good grip and very comfortable. Beats the daylights out of the Falken FK452's they replaced. And did I mention: "Comfortable"? Nice ride.

I'm wearing:

235/35-19's front
and,
275/30-20's rear.

The rears just recently cost $194 delivered from DTD.

Oh- just FYI: these tires are made in Georgia. US of A, not in EurAsia!

Last edited by maxcichon; 07-17-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for all the good advise! What place would you guys prefer to get tires purchased and changed at? I was thinking Tire Kingdom, Tire Plus, Sears or Sam's Club?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hello folks!

I need a set of new tires and would like to know if there is a less expensive alternative out there to the Michelin Pilot Sport ps2. I wonder how much you guys are paying on tires and what your experience with less expensive tires is. Please name some different tire models and how you liked them!

Thanks for all responses!
A lot to read through but the place to get all the feedback from our members here

click >> Official Tire Review Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the Gmax 275/35r 19 on back lots of milage and good wet traction. And a resonance price.
I rotate my tired twice a year.
I have over 30k miles on them atm.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 AM

I got mine at the Tire Kingdom on Seminole Blvd.Took a little over an hour for 4 and I have had no issues.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Thanks for all the good advise! What place would you guys prefer to get tires purchased and changed at? I was thinking Tire Kingdom, Tire Plus, Sears or Sam's Club?
Nick, if you're needing some cheap but decent tires, then have a look at these Achilles. Many guys on the forum that can't afford the higher priced name brands have installed these and say they work fine.

Achilles ATR Sport 2 235/40R18XL 95W - tires-easy.com

Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

If you are looking for super cheap, consider the Nangkang Noble Spoort NS20 or the Barum Bravuris (Continental off brand). I just put the NS20`s on one of my cars yesterday and they are a pleasant surprise.

http://www.nankangusa.com/tires/perf.../nankang-ns-20

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/tir...NNINT&pc=12411

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 07-18-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I like the Gmax 275/35r 19 on back lots of milage and good wet traction. And a resonance price.
I rotate my tired twice a year.
I have over 30k miles on them atm.
Aren't these "directional" tires? How do you rotate them?

Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Aren't these "directional" tires? How do you rotate them?
They can be dismounted and then remounted onto the opposite side, thereby putting the inner wearing portion onto the outside!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
They can be dismounted and then remounted onto the opposite side, thereby putting the inner wearing portion onto the outside!
Well, I realize that.

I just couldn't believe anyone would actually DO it!

And it's a bit expensive, unless he "has a guy"...

Old 07-18-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Well, I realize that.
I just couldn't believe anyone would actually DO it!
And it's a bit expensive, unless he "has a guy"...
Spot on Max! Nephew manages a Firestone. He rotated my G-Maxs @ 30K and I got 12K more miles out of them! The previous sets of Goodyear Eagles, Hankooks & Falkens I averaged only 15K for each set! I would imagine that the adjustable rear cambers and front alignment bolts, along with the 4-wheel laser alignment & Hunter balance done after the G-max install, factored substantially into the extended tread life as well.

Last edited by syfi; 07-18-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Rotating the tires on these cars is quite a task (besides simply swapping side to side). If you have directional tires, can't do it without incurring quite the expense. If you have OEM rims, can't do it as traditionally indicated because 19's cannot be on the front (even if non-directional tires). I wonder if getting a spare set of 18's, and placing non-directional tires, would be the easiest and least expensive economical solution? Would this cause a problem with the computers/suspension? I guess the odom and speedo would be off since the rears are 18's? Now with that a given, what would be the result if a pair of 19's were installed on the front with non-directional tires? May be a winner with the odom and speedo but what about the other aspects of the computers? Would the OEM bolts work with OEM 19 rims on the front? Comments???

Old 07-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Rotating the tires on these cars is quite a task (besides simply swapping side to side). If you have directional tires, can't do it without incurring quite the expense. If you have OEM rims, can't do it as traditionally indicated because 19's cannot be on the front (even if non-directional tires). I wonder if getting a spare set of 18's, and placing non-directional tires, would be the easiest and least expensive economical solution? Would this cause a problem with the computers/suspension? I guess the odom and speedo would be off since the rears are 18's? Now with that a given, what would be the result if a pair of 19's were installed on the front with non-directional tires? May be a winner with the odom and speedo but what about the other aspects of the computers? Would the OEM bolts work with OEM 19 rims on the front? Comments???
Many have gone with 18's all around, I know you can't go with OEM 19's on the front, tried that, never drove it though since the tires were sticking out past the fender.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-20-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Think again. The cost of dismounting the 2 rears and re-installing on the opposite side rim, along with re-balance was under $100. Got 12K more miles on them. The G-Maxs have a directional mirror image tread that allows for an easy swap.

Last edited by syfi; 07-19-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Think again. The cost of dismounting the 2 rears and re-installing on the opposite side rim, along with re-balance was under $100. Got 12K more miles on them. The G-Maxs have a directional mirror image tread that allows for an easy swap.

I think the point we were trying to make, sir, is that: if you have directional tires, you must add the cost of remounting and rebalancing 4 tires to eke out another 8-12 months of use. $80-$100.

If you have the OEM choice, Conti's or similar all-season UHP's, which are non-directional, you just move the tires.

Free if you do it yourself, $20 if you take it to someone with a lift.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Confused, why only the rears? When you rotate, you should be rotating all 4. With that cost, it would seem the cost to just replace them would offset the $200 bucks to dismount/mount/balance the 4 tires and have one less instance of damaging the TPMS sensors. Still up-in-the-air on the whole thing.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Many have gone with 18's all around, I know you can't go with OEM 19's on the front, tried that, never drove it though since the tires were sticking out past the fender.

Yeah George, that's quite a bit sticking out there isn't it.

Quick Reply: Less expensive tire alternative?