Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

General Wheel Bearing Question (Constant Light Squeal)

Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Wheel Bearing Question (Constant Light Squeal)

I changed out my wheel bearings last week (both front), and took my time hoping to do it correctly. I followed directions, advice and a video found on here that was recently posted. I thorughly hand packed the bearings (palm of hand method).

I now notice while driving with my window down near a barrier that I can hear a light squeal (almost sounds like a brake wear indicator, but subdued) on the passenger side - or through the passenger window. Constant regardless of speed or brakes.

Ironically the passenger side was fine with no play, but I thought "change both sides just in case".

Anyway, before I disassemble it and try to find a problem, does this sound like a bearing problem? I thought no way it is a coincidence that I have a squealing pulley a day after I worked on wheel bearings, but the no change in pitch at different speeds throws me.

Only other thing I did Saturday was change the oil.

Additional info: Idler pulley and tensioner pulley are new as of 5000 miles ago. Beck Arnley bearings used. New Brembo rotors, new pads. Squeal was not present prior to changing the bearings or could not be heard.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Last edited by RyanB; 10-07-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: General Wheel Bearing Question (Constant Light Squeal)

Could be a bent dust shield rubbing against the rotor

Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Thanks turbomar, it may be - I will check that first.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanB
I thorughly hand packed the bearings (palm of hand method).
GJ, I prefer packing my bearings this way.
I am assuming good quality brake ceramic pads, some pads can make some noise.
Did you put on pads and rotors when you did the bearings?
I have used a laser temp gun on hub before, after long driving to c if there is a temperature change from side to side.
To see if a bearing is getting hotter then the other.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Hi Speedy, I have been wanting to invest in an laser temperature gun, this might be a good excuse. Rotors and pads were new about 5000 miles ago without any issues prior to this.

I ended up caught up in yard work all Saturday, and did not get a chance to pull this wheel. But on the plus side it seems to have stopped. I still have to pull and replace the dust caps (damaged my originals and the set that came in the kits had a different inner diameter). I will check it out then.

I am leaning towards the dust sheild may have got tweaked just slightly and was barely touching the rotor. Either that, or I overtightened my bearings and the new ones are toast - I will find out sometime this week. Maybe the rear bearings are making noise too (another reason to buy an IR thermometer).

Thanks!

*EDIT* I did not know that IR thermometers could be had for $20 or under! One is on the way, last time I checked these were about $100.

Last edited by RyanB; 10-11-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 PM

Alright, just a final update - you can learn from my fail. I broke the hub down and noticed I had some wear on the back plate (looked like it had been polished). I was being too gentle when I replaced the seal and did not press or drive it to the correct depth, the very edge of the seal was contacting the edge of the dust shield once every full rotation.

I think the bigger issue was the inner bearing could potentionally have had a little slop due to not being snug against the seal. I think if left alone this would have caused bearing failure and spindle damage.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RyanB
Alright, just a final update - you can learn from my fail. I broke the hub down and noticed I had some wear on the back plate (looked like it had been polished). I was being too gentle when I replaced the seal and did not press or drive it to the correct depth, the very edge of the seal was contacting the edge of the dust shield once every full rotation.

I think the bigger issue was the inner bearing could potentionally have had a little slop due to not being snug against the seal. I think if left alone this would have caused bearing failure and spindle damage.
Ya that would do it.
Did you get the new race for the inner bearing in all the way?
Might be why seal did not get in all the way.
Catching it early does it look like you can just put in a new seal?

Old 10-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Hi Speedy, I replaced races with the bearings and they were seated correctly. The seal was actually okay, there was just a scuff on the outer metal edge closest to the hub housing. I just had to tap it down until it stopped moving (I was being cautious before and only had it almost flush with the housing). I will watch it and replace the seal if I see any grease, but I think I caught it in time to prevent any damage.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 PM

Good to hear you got it figured out, found and fixed.

most problems with seals is they get pinched.