Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

What is the difference between coilovers and normal shocks and springs

Old 10-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is the difference between coilovers and normal shocks and springs

Looking at changing and lowering my N/A crossfire, and on our cars what is the difference between coilovers and normal shocks and springs and is it worth going down that route?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What is the difference between coilovers and normal shocks and springs

I should start by saying that our cars don't really have a true "coilover" style suspension configuration. The word "coilover" came to be because the "coil" is "over" the shock/strut. With our cars, the coil and shock/strut are seperate from one another. But still, there are several options of "coilovers" available for our cars in the sense that they include both a shock & a spring.

Generally speaking (and this may vary from coilover to coilover) coilovers provide you with height adjustability, preload adjustability, dampening adjustability, rebound adjustability, etc. Again, this varies from coilover to coilover as some coilovers offer considerably more adjustability than others. To my knowledge, there are only two adjustable coilover offerings available for Crossfire's - KW V2's & Ground Control's. Both offer height adjustability, but I am not sure what other adjustments are available on the Ground Control's as I have personally have KW V2's on my SRT-6. I'd honestly probably reccomend the Ground Control's over the KW's as they are a bit less expensive and from what I understand offer the same adjustability features (KW products are a bit on the pricey side). I just got the KW's because they were the only height adjustable coilover available at the time that I sought to purchase a set of coilovers and the Ground Control's ended up coming out about a year or so later. There are also some non-adjustable coilovers available from H&R and Vogtland, which include both shocks/struts & springs but lack adjustability meaning they offer a set drop/dampening/etc. like that of a pair of lowering springs but include properly matched shocks/struts.

It really just depends on what you're looking for in terms of appearance & performance, and of course what your budget is. A simple set of lowering springs will make your car sit a bit nicer and possibly handle a smidge better at a relatively affordable price, but you may find yourself wanting more out of your suspension down the road. Alot of people I know who buy lowering springs ultimately end up buying coilovers later down the road due to wanting a lower stance, more adjustability for track days, etc. Not to mention that if you install lowering springs and retain your OEM shocks/struts, it's only a matter of time before they wear out and blow because they weren't designed to be run with a shorter spring. So if you want my .02.......pinch some pennies and save up for a full coilover setup. You'll be much happier in the long run and if you ever get the itch to go lower or set your car up more aggressively, you'll able to. As the old saying goes.....measure twice, cut once.

I should note that the only reason that I am running coilovers is because I wanted to slam the living bejeezus out of my car and I knew that a simple set of lowering springs would leave much to desired in the low categoy.

This ought to provide you with some perspective.

Here is a Crossfire lowered on what I believe to be Eibach Pro-Kit springs (seem to be a pretty popular lowering spring option on here)

And here is my car on KW V2 coilovers. Mind you, my coilovers are on the lowest possible setting and I have removed the adjustment rings (and some other stuff....lol) to lower them beyond the coilover's "intended" height settings. No wheel gap here

Hope this helps!

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 10-26-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: What is the difference between coilovers and normal shocks and springs

I've had stock springs, cut SRT-6 springs, Eibach lowering springs, K&W's and now Ground Control suspension. No one makes coil overs for our car. The best you can do is a height adjustable suspension system. None of them are trouble free IMO. Decide what you want. Looks, comfort, better handling, etc. Be honest and we can point you in the right direction. I haven't found one that's a winner in every area.

Les

Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your goal, though I can say that Eibach lowering springs a popular choice.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Anybody With these installed on crossfire?

No Limit Motorsport: D2 Racing RS Coilovers: D-ME-23

Will it work?

Thank

Raketten

Old 06-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Fiya:

You have probably the best looking configuration on a Crossfire I have seen yet.

I would love to lower my car that much, but it is my everyday driver and I commute 45 minutes both ways and end up on some pothole infested roads.

Does your configuration make the car super stiff and unforgiving on such roads?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XFireCrazy
Hot Fiya:

You have probably the best looking configuration on a Crossfire I have seen yet.

I would love to lower my car that much, but it is my everyday driver and I commute 45 minutes both ways and end up on some pothole infested roads.

Does your configuration make the car super stiff and unforgiving on such roads?

If my car was that low, I'd be in constant contact with the road. I am looking at the Konis for an adjustable ride, a little softer on longer trips.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Love that first pic, those splitters look great ! where to get those ? i also like the black grill ,is that the stock or the german chrome grill painted ?

Ive got the zunsport grills on the moment but i am not totally impressed...

The first pic is about where my roadster sits . it would go lower too but like getting those splitters it may be problem around here .
I have increased the dampening on the Konis to 3 quarters now and i think its the sweet spot for the GC touring kit on my roadster.

PS , i have the Chrometec kit but havnt put it on yet , i cant decide to commit but still where did you find the door handle bowls ??

happy trails!
dave

Last edited by daveesrt6; 06-07-2016 at 04:05 AM. Reason: thc