Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

How to tighten steering rack nut?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to tighten steering rack nut?

Hi,

This forum is great for tips and DIY work but one subject that no one has explained remotely well so far is how to tighten the steering rack nut. My steering makes a "knock/clunk" noise when it's turned slowly. I've only just changed the front struts, both lower boll joints, the entire track rod end assembly and linkage. I'm not asking for suggestions on what could be causing the clunk/knock but this thread is specifically for information and a complete DIY instruction on how to tighten the steering rack nut/bolts that a lot of people have mentioned before.

Please anyone who knows explain, I've already read the service manuals there is no straightforward and DIRECT instruction on how to do this. I'd like to attempt this before getting the wheel bearings changed.

Anyone who has done this before please explain, including the tools needed, the exact position and the estimated time for this job.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: How to tighten steering rack nut?

Page 3045 of the service manual PDF covers ADJUSTMENTS > STEERING GEAR if that's what you mean by steering rack, there actually is no rack, it's an old school recirculating ball mechanism with a steering box. There are no struts either, there are seperate shocks and springs.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Received 521 Likes on 415 Posts

There was a post by someone that mentioned the steering shaft cinch bolts. These can come loose and the steering will feel somewhat sloppy. Try the Advanced Search for the following:

"Sloppy Steering...FIXED"

Be sure to put the open & closed parantheses around the text. Search will look for the entire text string, rather than posts with any of the text words.

Later,

Old 05-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 521 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by cross4ya
Hi,

This forum is great for tips and DIY work but one subject that no one has explained remotely well so far is how to tighten the steering rack nut. My steering makes a "knock/clunk" noise when it's turned slowly. I've only just changed the front struts, both lower boll joints, the entire track rod end assembly and linkage. I'm not asking for suggestions on what could be causing the clunk/knock but this thread is specifically for information and a complete DIY instruction on how to tighten the steering rack nut/bolts that a lot of people have mentioned before.

Please anyone who knows explain, I've already read the service manuals there is no straightforward and DIRECT instruction on how to do this. I'd like to attempt this before getting the wheel bearings changed.

Anyone who has done this before please explain, including the tools needed, the exact position and the estimated time for this job.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
Page 3045 of the service manual PDF covers ADJUSTMENTS > STEERING GEAR if that's what you mean by steering rack, there actually is no rack, it's an old school recirculating ball mechanism with a steering box. There are no struts either, there are seperate shocks and springs.
Attached is a document on the M-B recirculating ball steering assembly. The adjustment procedure is listed within the document.

Hope this helps,

Attached Files
Old 05-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I am very interested by this subject as I have the same issue on my Xfire. I saw in the technical literature that this famous screw exists. But, how to access to this crew without removing the entire steering box!?
Sure you can answer to my question! :-)
Steph.