Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Rotors

Old 07-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors

I own two stock Crossfires and restore old roadster cars. Need opinions on a upgrade I am planning to my 1952 MG TD brakes. By the way I just installed a SLK supercharger on the TD. It is the same one as used on the Crossfire. Increased HP by about 50 percent. Reason for brake upgrade.

I have a choice between plain rotors or drilled and slotted rotors. I am clueless. Pros and cons. Price is within $100.

Thanks

Joe

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.37 MB, 52 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Rotors

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
I own two stock Crossfires and restore old roadster cars. Need opinions on a upgrade I am planning to my 1952 MG TD brakes. By the way I just installed a SLK supercharger on the TD. It is the same one as used on the Crossfire. Increased HP by about 50 percent. Reason for brake upgrade.

I have a choice between plain rotors or drilled and slotted rotors. I am clueless. Pros and cons. Price is within $100.

Thanks

Joe
So that MG must have all of 20 HP now. LOL.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Forum Regular

180 I am glad to see you are doing good and still around. You and I maybe the only ones who remember these cars.

This car has real sentimental value to me. Takes me back to my High School days. I do every thing I can to keep it on the road. I spend way more then it is worth to do that. It now cruises at a resonable rpm for a 1938 designed engine and cruises at modern highway speeds with the MGA rear I put in. I think it will Dyno this Thursday around 75 to 80 Hp. The weak link is the brakes. I need a little more stoping power the way cars cut in front and put on their brakes. The gas gauge is a stick in the tank and has a idiot light with 2gals left. With the supercharger I need to run high test. Working on designing turn signals, flashers and brake lights you can see from a SUV.

It is a great ice cream and grocery getter. It was and still is a great car to learn how to wrench and drive on. Teaching my grandson how to rebuild a spare engine this summer.

Even the wind shield folds down and yes it has wood floor boards and yes the body like the Morgan has a wood frame. That took some work rebuilding that. You need to be both a carpenter and a mechanic to own one.

It will someday become the model T of the 50s. You will not see many on the roads. Very much like the Crossfire only about 60,000 built. But for this old guy, it has more memories and more enjoyment then my modern roadsters.

Funny I need a complete set of Whitworth sockets and wrenches to work on it. Sure the new ones are fast but the number of thumbs up I get in these old cars can not compare to the modern cars. It even has push pull start and a positive ground radio that you can only hear when it is not moving. Only issue is that I am starting to run out of AM stations. I rarely use the side curtains anymore unless I get caught in a storm.

Any thoughts on the rotor issue?

Joe

Attached Images
image.jpeg (1.02 MB, 40 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you are going to push the MG really hard for more than 10 minutes of driving you won't need cross drilled/slotted rotors. You may still like them enough to want them though. If there are inclement weather conditions such rotors will corrode more easily. That SLK blower is for a 4 cylinder and not the same as the SRT-6 blower.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks Nick. That gives me what I need to know. The drilled/slotted look neat but I never drive the car hard. So I will save the $100 and go with the solid. They are a kit from Wilwood in CA.

Like all my modifications I make to my cars they can very easily be retrofitted back to OEM status.

Joe

Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice TD. Had a 1955 TF1500 red with white top in high school. Wish I still had it.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I had a green 52 TD many moons ago. Drove it from northern Indiana to Arizona when I moved in 1973. Hah, the car was younger than me then.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for appreciating the car. I attached a picture of a modern upgrade that allows me to safely drive on modern roads. Like all efforts to upgrade a car from the 1940s to be able to drive modern roads you do have to sacrifice that concours reality. Thankful our Crossfires will have a while before that is necessary.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (1.06 MB, 23 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk monster
thanks for appreciating the car. I attached a picture of a modern upgrade that allows me to safely drive on modern roads. Like all efforts to upgrade a car from the 1940s to be able to drive modern roads you do have to sacrifice that concours reality. Thankful our crossfires will have a while before that is necessary.

youzer !!!!