Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Bas light new tie rod assembly

Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bas light new tie rod assembly

Just replaced all four shocks and the tie rod assembly. I got the length of the new tie rod assembly to match the old one and now the steering wheel is turned almost 90 degrees to the right for the car to go in a straight line and the bas esp lights are on when I get to second gear as well as the traction control light. The car has supposedly been aligned the best they could. Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Bas light new tie rod assembly

If you matched the new tie rod length to the old one there is no way in hell the steering wheel would be more than a few degrees off.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
If you matched the new tie rod length to the old one there is no way in hell the steering wheel would be more than a few degrees off.
My thoughts exactly. No idea what is going on. Just made an appointment for Tuesday to get it looked at. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Caleb
Just replaced all four shocks and the tie rod assembly. I got the length of the new tie rod assembly to match the old one and now the steering wheel is turned almost 90 degrees to the right for the car to go in a straight line and the bas esp lights are on when I get to second gear as well as the traction control light. The car has supposedly been aligned the best they could. Any ideas?
How far was this taken apart? If the pitman arm was disconnected then it could have been put back together with the wrong spline alignment and if the steering wheel is not aligned the BAS light will come on as it is not set correctly. The sensor is in the steering column.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How far was this taken apart? If the pitman arm was disconnected then it could have been put back together with the wrong spline alignment and if the steering wheel is not aligned the BAS light will come on as it is not set correctly. The sensor is in the steering column.
Pitman arm was not removed. Just pulled the tie rods from both steering knuckles and pitman and idler arm but nothing other than the old tie rod assembly was removed and now the steering wheel is very far to The right. I thought the same thing about the Pitman arm but I can't see how that would be the case

Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 PM

Did you figure this out? I'll be replacing the linkage on my car soon, and I'm researching potential issues. Any input is appreciated!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Did you figure this out? I'll be replacing the linkage on my car soon, and I'm researching potential issues. Any input is appreciated!
I just replaced the tie rod assembly then got it aligned and all the lights went off and steering wheel is straight once again. An out of line front end will make your crossfire act crazy!