Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Bleeding Brakes - Crossfire NA

Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding Brakes - Crossfire NA

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The Crossfire uses an ABS system, including brakes made by Continental Teves.
As does other Chrysler autos.
Thanks for that info 180; That is good to know.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

The 1 liter bottle of Pentosin Super DOT4 arrived yesterday and the Goodridge SS brake line kit ordered from Needswings came today. Waiting on the Speed Bleeder screws and I'll be ready to bleed (flush & fluid exchange) the brake system hydraulics this weekend.

I also ordered a pair of polyurethane M-B jack pad adapters to fit the lifting pads on the Crossfire. Should arrive by the weekend. Probably will make good use of these in upcoming years performing various service needs (i.e., brakes, new rotors, driveshaft quibo replacement, etc.).

Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM

The Speed Bleeder screws arrived late last week and the M-B Jack Pad Adapters arrived today. Just waiting on a couple of additional items and I'll start the SS brake line install & brake hydraulic flush & refill.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Just a question for this uninformed brain? Doesn't the ABS system 'cycle' on occasion?

The only cycle the ABS system does is when it works as it should, during a braking event as it detects imminent wheel lockup and does its thing to regulate pressure to prevent wheel lockup.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
The only cycle the ABS system does is when it works as it should, during a braking event as it detects imminent wheel lockup and does its thing to regulate pressure to prevent wheel lockup.
Yep. If it "cycled" without warning, I'd have a heart attack.

"WHAT WAS THAT?"

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ABS also works in conjunction with the traction control. It will brake one wheel or more if called for as well as alternate which wheel or wheels are applying braking force at a given moment to regain control when it deems your out of control. All the pulsing from unexpected places left me sweaty and going straight after a 360º episode.

Les

Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks, as a footnote, my old 99 Olds Intrigue had a 'feature' (?) every once in a while it would 'cycle'. Never had trouble with it and I think I saw something in the service manual (sold it in 08) that gave me the impression it was a normal 'self check'. Thanks for the XF specifics!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 AM

Sort of have a focus right now on bleeding brake systems (fluid flush & exchange service). Nearly rear-ended a Porsche 911 yesterday with my 1995 Wrangler Rio Grande when the brakes didn't grab like they should have during a sudden traffic stop. So looks like I'm getting prepared to do a complete brake system overhaul (new rear shoes, rear wheel cylinders, inspect front pads, SS brake line kit, Speed Bleeder screws, fluid exchange) on the Jeep. After all, it's been 20 years! They just don't make vehicles reliable anymore! Yeah, Right!

Anyway, found the attached this morning while looking for parts for the Wrangler. Everything is on order that I need for the brake system service.

Later,

Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake Fluid_DOT3 vs DOT4.pdf (226.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM

Well I finally got a break in my work, so today I installed the Goodrige "G-Stop" SS Brake Line Kit I bought from Needswings along with the Speed Bleeder Screws for front & rear. And then performed a brake hydraulic system flush & refill service (bled the brake system). I probably used almost 1/2 liter of the Pentosin Super DOT4 brake fluid for the complete flush & refill. Took a few hours (I ain't quite as small as I once was and don't bend like I used too either - ). All total, cost me $181.17 in parts; my labor is priceless!

Who would have thought that the brake line connections are all SAE Standard - No Metric connections! So is that a standard across global markets?

Anyway, attached are some pictures & PDFs highlighting what I encountered on this journey. I actually enjoyed this in the low 90s weather today. But I'm sure I'm going to feel sore in places tomorrow.

Enjoy,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LF SS Brake Line (01).jpg (264.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg
LF SS Brake Line (02).jpg (201.1 KB, 69 views)
Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-31-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Well I finally got a break in my work, so today I installed the Goodrige "G-Stop" SS Brake Line Kit I bought from Needswings along with the Speed Bleeder Screws for front & rear. And then performed a brake hydraulic system flush & refill service (bled the brake system). I probably used almost 1/2 liter of the Pentosin Super DOT4 brake fluid for the complete flush & refill. Took a few hours (I ain't quite as small as I once was and don't bend like I used too either - ). All total, cost me $181.17 in parts; my labor is priceless!

Who would have thought that the brake line connections are all SAE Standard - No Metric connections! So is that a standard across global markets?

Anyway, attached are some pictures & PDFs highlighting what I encountered on this journey. I actually enjoyed this in the low 90s weather today. But I'm sure I'm going to feel sore in places tomorrow.

Enjoy,
Please, how did you figure out the sizes of the speed bleeders?
The SRT uses two different wrench sizes so I assume they have two different size of threads. I do not want to buy the wrong bleeders and go through that hassle.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

are all SAE Standard
Could those 7/16 be 11mm?

If you have one, did you bleed the clutch?
It's fed by the same reservoir.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 AM

The SRT uses two different wrench sizes so I assume they have two different size of threads. I do not want to buy the wrong bleeders and go through that hassle.
I bought my speed bleeder screws from SpeedBleeders.com. They are the original creator of the speed bleeder screw design and have both patents & trademarks rights. Once you get to the website, click on the Automotive Sizes link on the home page. That will take you to a listing of screws sizes with applications for various marques. Click on Mercedes and then look for an applicable model associated with Crossfire. For the NA, I used the SLK320 model listed near the bottom of that section. I didn't see a listing that would align with the SRT-6 model. You may have to contact Speed Bleeder Products directly to discuss this application. A contact eMail address & phone number is provided.

But I did notice that the Speed Bleeder sizes I bought (SB8125L - Front / SB8125LL - Rear) are used extensively on M-B models during that same time period. The SB8125LL looks like it's used for both front & rear locations on several high performance models. That screw looked to be just longer than the front screw I bought. And I just ordered the standard bleeder screws. Didn't see the need for SS.

The bleeder screws from Speed Bleeders had different hex flats than the OEM version. The OEM screws on the NA have a 9 mm hex flat; the speed bleeders were an 8 mm hex flat.

Hope this helps,

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 AM

Could those 7/16 be 11mm?

If you have one, did you bleed the clutch?
It's fed by the same reservoir.
A 7/16 wrench fits a hex size of 0.4375". An 11 mm wrench fits a hex size of 0.4331". The 11 mm wrench was too small to fit the brake line connection hex. Hard to believe that the hex flats being 0.0044" wider didn't allow the 11 mm wrench to fit. I had the same issue with the 9/16" hex on the OEM caliper hose connection. (Note: I'll re-emphasize that the caliper OEM hose connection is a fixed male fitting. The entire hose rotates as you unscrew this connection. It has to be disconnected after you disconnect the connection to the brake line.) The Goodridge SS brake line had a 7/16" hex flat on the hose connection to the caliper and was a slip fitting.

My 2007 Coupe has the Auto-Stick tranny.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-01-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:30 PM

A 7/16 wrench fits a hex size of 0.4375". An 11 mm wrench fits a hex size of 0.4331". The 11 mm wrench was too small to fit the brake line connection hex. Hard to believe that the hex flats being 0.0044" wider didn't allow the 11 mm wrench to fit. I had the same issue with the 9/16" hex on the OEM caliper hose connection. (Note: I'll re-emphasize that the caliper OEM hose connection is a fixed male fitting. The entire hose rotates as you unscrew this connection. It has to be disconnected after you disconnect the connection to the brake line.) The Goodridge SS brake line had a 7/16" hex flat on the hose connection to the caliper and was a slip fitting.

My 2007 Coupe has the Auto-Stick tranny.
This came from the Speed Bleeder site.

"Speed Bleeders are made from one of these four hex stock sizes...
1/4" hex, 5/16" hex, 3/8" hex, 7/16" hex
This also applies to metric sizes. This means that metric wrenches will not work with Speed Bleeder even though it might have a metric sized thread. You have to use an inch wrench or SAE wrench size. The reason is that metric hex stock is not readily available at a reasonable price in this country."

So maybe this applies to the brake line hexagons as well.

Hexagonal nuts and bolts per ANSI standards have the max size across flats at the nominal size, so they are never bigger than the nominal size. Wrenches are always a bit bigger so they fit. Min and Max openings of ANSI standard 7/16" wrenches is .440"/.446".

A 11mm wrench should fit some 7/16" hex nuts, except combinations of nuts at the top of the tolerance size and using wrenches at the bottom of the tolerance size.

When dealing with Chinese nuts, bolts and wrenches all bets are off.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-01-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave, I have some speed bleeders for your front calipers.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Great! We have to meet up some time soon then, get the guys together somewhere.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Just out of curiosity, what thread sizes are used on the SRT-6? Might be good to send an eMail to Speed Bleeders to let them know to specifically list the Crossfire NA & SRT-6 under the listing for Chrysler.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 AM

Been looking around for speed bleeders for the SRT-6 from various resources. Found these on eBay this morning:

Carlson Speed Bleeder Set for 2004 SLK32 AMG

But looks like these fit only the rear calipers.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-02-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM

Been looking around for speed bleeders for the SRT-6 from various resources. Found these on eBay this morning:

Carlson Speed Bleeder Set for 2004 SLK32 AMG

But looks like these fit only the rear calipers.
Thanks a lot for looking, I may have sourced the ones for the front. The ones you found cost an extra $14 for shipping to Canada. This new eBay shipping method really ruins sales to me and others like me. The US seller pays $6 or so and ships it to this outfit and they rape the customer with customs fees and duty. Neither of these charges would apply if shipped via USPS.
In this case it is not too bad as the parts cost $7 each from SpeedBleeders. Just the principle matters to me, these days I try to buy in Canada and not give my money to this company which I have forgot its name. Rip off and the US sellers do not know about the extra cost or do not care as if saves them some hassle but they lose customers and do not know that either.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks a lot for looking, I may have sourced the ones for the front. The ones you found cost an extra $14 for shipping to Canada. This new eBay shipping method really ruins sales to me and others like me. The US seller pays $6 or so and ships it to this outfit and they rape the customer with customs fees and duty. Neither of these charges would apply if shipped via USPS.
In this case it is not too bad as the parts cost $7 each from SpeedBleeders. Just the principle matters to me, these days I try to buy in Canada and not give my money to this company which I have forgot its name. Rip off and the US sellers do not know about the extra cost or do not care as if saves them some hassle but they lose customers and do not know that either.
I don't fault your position on incurring S&H costs for goods sent to Canada from USA. I do the same whenever I'm considering a purchase from a vendor outside USA.