Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

brake vacuum booster

Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake vacuum booster

My 2004 xfire has started drinking brake fluid. Research provided several things to cheek. however none proved to indicate a leak. Finally a suggestion was made that the vacuum booster may be leaking, but I don't see any visible signs of a leak...I need help.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: brake vacuum booster

Have you removed each caliper and looked inside around the cup seal ?
That's the most likely place for a leak.
I suppose the master cylinder could be leaking past the piston seal back to the booster, drop the master off the booster and look inside.
Also check the 4 flexible hoses to the calipers.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:11 PM

We just replaced the front pads because the pedal seemed to travel pretty far.... after putting in new pads , we still had the same pedal travel. Looked up enderneath at the top of brake pedal arm and it is wet! I guess i am buying a master cylinder shortly....

Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: brake vacuum booster

Originally Posted by 39lasalle
We just replaced the front pads because the pedal seemed to travel pretty far.... after putting in new pads , we still had the same pedal travel. Looked up enderneath at the top of brake pedal arm and it is wet! I guess i am buying a master cylinder shortly....

And vacuum booster? I'm curious to hear if others have had this experience. (happened on my '86 Honda, seem to recall that the fluid damaged the booster)

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 PM

We are going to start with e master cylinder and hope for the best....symptoms only started this past week....I do understand reality and the car is not one of our daily drivers so....