Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM
DanielNTX
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freaking TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

So I went to Mac Haik 5-star Dodge Chrysler Jeep Dealership in Georgetown, Texas last Thursday, because my Low Tire Pressure light was on. I told them that it was on even though the tire pressures were correct. They supposedly reset my TPMS system and charged me $90 for their time and claimed that one of my tires was at 26 psi. I'm positive it was not and I have two digital tire meters. Anyways, the light went out for about an hour and then came back on. I called them back and told them that I still had the problem and they were too busy to see me until Monday. So today rolls around and I bring in my car and they have it for about 4 hours and call me up and tell me it's gonna be another $175 ($89 for the part and the rest on labor) to fix everything because the sensor in my right rear tire is out. So that brings it the total to $265 if I went with them for a freaking TPM sensor plus installation. I ended up declining to replace the sensor and they claimed the $90 was the diagnostic charge to figure out what the problem was. I called up another dealer and they want $74.25 for the sensor and $45 in labor to replace it and reset the TPMS system. I'm going with this option, but I rather prefer them to turn the whole system off (which Mac Haik said they would not do because it's against federal regulations).

What are your guys experiences on TPMS issues? I think I'm getting ripped off still for a sensor that shouldn't have failed in the first place. Somebody should come up with a tool that plugs into the OBDII port so we can reset the sensors ourselves, rather than spend ridiculous amounts of cash for service or $10,000 for a DRB-III scan tool.

Last edited by DanielNTX; 08-20-2007 at 06:46 PM.