Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
DanielNTX
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Freaking TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

So here's the conclusion of the story on this issue (I hope)...

The out-of-warranty experience for servicing the TPM system really left me in utter disgust. They ended up charging me another $45 for programming the TPM system even after I told them it should have been part of the installation of the sensor and how easy it was to do.

Here's the cost break down:
$99.74 [$90 for Supposed Diagnostics (I already knew that the TPM wasn't working), reset of the TPM system with the DRB-III, $9 shop usage fee plus $0.74 cent tax]
$80.38 [$74.25 for the part 5096808-AA TPM sensor, $6.13 tax]
$49.87 [$45 for the labor to install the sensor into the tire, $4.50 shop usage fee, $0.37 cent tax]
$45.00 [$45 to program the one TPM sensor to the TPM system]

TOTAL: $274.99
+ four days to resolve this problem

Just to resolve an issue with the TPM system and the dash light coming on. This is the most expensive car repair that I've ever had for such a small stupid problem. I could have bought a Nintento Wii or something for that much.

The moral of the story: If you are out of warranty and your TPMS light is on, I don't recommend getting it fixed by any Chrysler dealer. Pull the dash panel and remove the light bulb for the system. It's really not worth almost $300 to get one TPM sensor replaced. I really wish that the car didn't have the TPM system at all.

I have the old sensor and I'll be taking it apart to see what type of battery it is. The service advisor told me that the sensors batteries are only good between 2 and 3 years and that why that one failed and my other 3 are due to fail pretty soon. I'm not gonna go through the trouble if that's the case. I would have expected to replace one tire sensor to cost around $99 total, but I'm very bitter from my whole experience. Like I stated in my post above, if I had access to a DRB-III scan tool I would have done everything myself.

Last edited by DanielNTX; 08-22-2007 at 01:09 PM.