View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Mike-in-Orange
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 303 Protectant VS Armor All

Originally Posted by matthewdavid
I use water based products from Pinnacle and Wolfgang, and I won't even go near the plastics with anything containing silicon or petroleum distillates.
I hate to burst your bubble Matthew, but just because something is water based does not mean it's silicone free. Check Pinnacle's MSDS sheet for their Vinyl & Rubber Protectant and you'll see it contains 25-35% Polydimethysiloxane by weight. Yep, it's loaded with silicone. But that certainly does not make it a bad product, not by any stretch. Silicones and petroleum distillates are terribly misunderstood and, when used correctly, are not only harmless but actually enhance certain characteristics of a product.

We all know that dressings or waxes that contain silicones are bad to have in a body shop environment because it takes just the tiniest amount of it landing on a surface to cause fisheyes when paint is sprayed. There are products used in body shop environments called fisheye reducers and many of them actually contain........wait for it.........silicone. There are so many different types of silicones and the simple truth is they not all bad all the time.

If you really want to avoid silicones totally then the only vinyl and rubber protectant I know of that is silicone free, and guaranteed body shop safe, is Meguiar's Silicone Free Dressing from our Detailer line. But the smallest size available is 1 Gallon.