View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 AM
chuck65
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 303 Protectant VS Armor All

Originally Posted by KcKey12
Mike, your analysis of the benefits of silicones is the best and most accurate series of write-ups that I have read in an automobile forum - ever! For those non-chemists in the forum, READ what this guy is telling you - the root cause of your problems is not silicones - or petroleum distillates (oils & solvents) - or waxes... It is the fact that you have sun-drenched, old plastic/rubber - that has reached its useful life... No matter what dressings you apply to these surfaces - they were destined to crack/fail due to years of exposure to sun/weather.

Also, please realize that these dressing are really very thin surface coatings and their ability to extract/affect the underliying plastics is almost non-existant. They really just lay on the surface and provide shine (from the oils such as silicones), less-shine (due to drying/matteing agents, such as other polymers) and uv-protection (if those ingredients have been added to the formulation)... That's it...

Lastly, I've used silicone sprays, emulsions, even straight siloxanes on tires & plastics for 32 years (before Armor All existed) and have never experienced or read (in technical journals) of a negative affect of silicones due to their use on the surface of rubbers or plastics.
As Mike states - this does not mean that you want to apply paint to a siliconized surface - but just use them for their intended (and limited) purpose in these dressings - which is to impart a clean, darkened, shiney surface to the rubber/plastic.

Hope this information helps...
That's why we all like Mike from Orange McKey12, he gives advise straight up. If he doesn't know the answer he has his people he can go to for the answer.

BTW, I like how you prioritize your intrests in your personal profile.