View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 AM
gurudog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Vinegar Smell

I enquired about this before and tried some things that were suggested to clean out/get rid of a vinegar-y smell after using the ac and sometimes during...I have cleaned the under-dash filter; sprayed disinfectant (and Febreeze) into the near windshield intakes; and run the 'recirculated air for a time afer shutting the ac off...but as I begin to use ac this spring, same problem...btw...Where are the intake vents for 'recycled interior air'? Ideas...?

UPDATE...5/27/11...THX FOR RESPONSES...A 'Search' on CFforum for 'vinegar smell' reveals LOTS of entries here besides mine with this odorus situation. I now regret going to all the trouble to remove/vacuum/clean my filter rather than just replacing...I do religiously turn on the recirc. air after each use of the a/c but now will also REPLACE filter (under glove box) with the charcoal one suggested although hope I can find one on my own rather than at a dealer...

Problem solved with a 'Bosch Cabin Filter' (28.00 at Autozone) that is exact match to original 'Mercedes MicronAir filter' and available at stores other than at dealers. Also have now cleaned with a can of "duct/ac spray cleaner' from auto store...Two different mechanics have now told me also that a few drops of 'baby oil' will help remove smells.

Happy driving and be safe this long weekend...Jeff in New Mexico (GURUDOG).

Last edited by gurudog; 05-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.