View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM
onehundred80
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Cooling System Part Identification

Originally Posted by steve1189
I noticed a few drops of antifreeze on the lower engine pan and found that antifreeze is 'weeping' from the black cap on the part located inline on the lower rad hose.
Since I have spent the past 20 years or so wrenching on American 60 & 70's classics, a lot of things I see under the hood on the xfire are 'foreign' to me so hopefully someone can tell me what this part is called and what it actually does (if anything)?
I tried searching 'little thingie with a black cap under the hood' but no luck and I have scoured the manual and still can't find it.
Hopefully the picture might help identifying it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Steve
That black cap hides the terminals for the block heater wires.
That part is the block heater.
The hose connections to it look like a bit of a lash up, the one on my old NA appeared a much neater set up, but I could have forgotten what it looked like. I have some pictures of it somewhere, I'll look for them.
The block heater was supplied to Canadian cars and probably to cars sent to the Northern States. It was supplied without the cable, the cable was quite expensive from Chrysler and I never did bother to get one.
My US market SRT6 does not have one.

Attached Images  

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-23-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Photo and comment added