All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 06-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

New M-B air intake assembly installed. One of the better "cost effective" upgrades I've made on the Crossfire. Cost = $83.25 delivered to my doorstep.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180602_110451.jpg (1.37 MB, 29 views)
20180602_110457.jpg (1.37 MB, 32 views)
20180602_110503.jpg (1.37 MB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
New M-B air intake assembly installed. One of the better "cost effective" upgrades I've made on the Crossfire. Cost = $83.25 delivered to my doorstep.

I agree, looks great.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Where did you order it from?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

35% tint. looks great F.A.D. (from a distance)
but I'm not happy, and it will be going back. little bitty bubbles in a couple spots.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Where did you order it from?
I bought the M-B air cleaner intake from OE Discounts Parts. The M-B air cleaner intake is also available from Mercedes Parts Center at a slightly lower cost.

I just prefer doing business with OE Discount Parts. They happen to be located in Asheville, NC, which is only about 50 miles from where I live in SC. I talked with someone from OE Discount Parts about this item. Wanted to make sure it was what I thought it was. The air cleaner intake was shipped from a M-B parts facility in NJ. Came in 2 days. Free Shipping.

There is an identical unit, with air filters, listed on eBay for $300USD. Been listed for several months. Seller probably doesn't know it can be bought new from M-B for less than $100USD. And then again, maybe the Seller does know that and hopes a Buyer doesn't know that!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I bought the M-B air cleaner intake from OE Discounts Parts. The M-B air cleaner intake is also available from Mercedes Parts Center at a slightly lower cost.

I just prefer doing business with OE Discount Parts. They happen to be located in Asheville, NC, which is only about 50 miles from where I live in SC. I talked with someone from OE Discount Parts about this item. Wanted to make sure it was what I thought it was. The air cleaner intake was shipped from a M-B parts facility in NJ. Came in 2 days. Free Shipping.

There is an identical unit, with air filters, listed on eBay for $300USD. Been listed for several months. Seller probably doesn't know it can be bought new from M-B for less than $100USD. And then again, maybe the Seller does know that and hopes a Buyer doesn't know that! [/SIZE][/FONT]
This is the same as the OEM Crossfire air cleaner except it has MB on the logo.
It does not offer any upgrade to the performanvce, at first I thought it was the performance upgrade which has two parts to the air cleaner. Forget my PM. to you those filters are too big.
This is a cosmetic upgrade only.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, we went on our first cross-country in our XF roadster and things went pretty well except:

1 - my right hip is killing me! I see on the forum that this is not that unusual, especially for old guys like me. Up until this weekend the only time we really did anything besides drive it around town was when we ran part of the Snake about two months ago (we live in the Johnson City/Bristol TN area) and I thought the pain was not being used to spending over an hour on the gas pedal. Not so! 90% of this trip was on interstate with the cruise control on and I was still in pain. I've got to find a good seat cushion before the Crossfire Snake GTG the end of June or there's no way I'll last.

2 - Cruising down I-81 and what do I see in the mirror --- a sliver of daylight between the top of the rear glass and the ragtop. Again, lots of advice on the forum about re-gluing the rear glass and my goal is to do it this week. (We'll be on a trip with a bus-load of other geriatrics next week so the glue will have ample time to cure.) My only dilemma is a previous owner already re-glued the sides and bottom of the rear glass and did a pretty poor job of it. It holds and it doesn't leak but when you get close to the car it looks like crap. Obviously fixing the top edge is easier than pulling out the glass, cleaning up the previous owner's mess, and then positioning the whole thing while the glue sets, but ...

Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I use an office chair gel cushion for long trips, works great for me !
As to the top, why not bite the bullet and join the group buy over on Facebook for a BAS top of your color choice that has a LT warranty on window separation, somewhere around $600 with shipping.
Probably time for a new top anyhoo if yours is OEM.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the red 04 coupe- new battery, wax job
For the Blue 08 roadster- home made fog light covers, clay bared, waxed, New Windrestrictor

Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Well, the deed is done. Tried to pull the rear glass out Thursday. Like I said in my previous post the top of the glass was already separated and whoever had the car before me did a sloppy job gluing the sides and bottom of the glass. It wasn't too difficult separating the canvas from the sides of the glass but the bottom is held on like iron. I'm a-thinkin' the bottom is still original and the previous owner just ran a bead of glue along the edge like he was caulking a window. The glue used looks like old Elmer's carpenter glue - amber, transparent, brittle. The sides were previously repaired with 1/2" double-sided weather striping like you might find at Lowes then he "caulked" with Elmers --- not a great choice but it held for awhile. So, I cleaned everything up Thursday and waited for the 3M One-Step Primer and Window-Weld to arrive on Friday. This morning I cleaned the edge of the glass one more time, put on the primer, positioned the glass in place against the top with a furniture blanket and a few throw-pillows (wrapped in garbage bags) wedged between the glass and the roll-bars and went to work. I finished gluing in the window by taping the top to the glass with Gorilla Tape to ensure the canvas doesn't pull back any before the Window-Weld cures.

I'd have gone for a new BAS top as suggested by ala-xfire but 1 - I'm cheap, 2 - I just bought this car three months ago, and 3 - the top looks to be in pretty good shape except for the previous sloppy job re-gluing the sides of the glass.

Early tomorrow morning we head off on a week-long trip so the Window-Weld will have a week to cure before I pull the tape and see if it works. If it does - great; if it doesn't - I guess it will be time to call BAS.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I would recommend not leaving the Gorilla Tape on there for a week. The 3m adhesive will be set in a few hours and that gooey adhesive on the tape will keep soaking into the top fabric making one nasty clean-up job. This is experience speaking.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
I would recommend not leaving the Gorilla Tape on there for a week. The 3m adhesive will be set in a few hours and that gooey adhesive on the tape will keep soaking into the top fabric making one nasty clean-up job. This is experience speaking.
Thanks for the warning. The tape is off!

Old 06-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Well my Crossfire was just visiting
My fairly new friend brought his new SRT Roadster home on Friday from St Louis
It has a VERY nice garage.....

I hung out yesterday with Lee and some others at Lee's car condo at... Irongate Motor Condos
This place is amazing for auto enthusiasts who want a luxury garage for their cars.
Lee is a "Mopar" guy as you can see in the photos below but also an SRT enthusiast and that's what attracted him to the Crossfire SRT
Anyway Rudy came by and repaired the seal on Lee's SRT Roadster wing which had been leaking rain water into the trunk area.
He replaced the PSE module in the bottom of the trunk floor and the door locks now work with the key fob and the convertible top is now operational among some other issues that appear to have resulted in the "water in the trunk" issue talked about here in many other threads
Here are some pics from yesterday inside Lee's car condo...........

Lee seen here with his newly purchased SRT Roadster
Also shown are his Orange 1971 Road Runner and his Green 1972 Challenger
Also my recently purchased Aero Blue Roadster.

Last edited by Valk; 06-10-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

I would say, "LIVING THE DREAM".

Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 PM

Quite a place to "hang out". I'd rate it a 10!

Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Finished up my detailing of the 2007 Coupe this morning. I only had the rear & front ends to do after working on the main body sections over the weekend. Car looks pretty "spiffy" right now for the trek west to Eureka Springs in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Installed new headlamp assemblies
And an Extreme HID LED kit for the low beams.

Getting out the old one’s, nightmare!!!!

Installing new ones fast and easy

Don’t know why???

Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

I purchased a new RCM to have with me in the event I ever have a failure with my relay control module
I also carry a spare CPS for the same reason
I recently pulled apart the interior of the trunk to be sure there has never been any water intrusion and checked the PSE module and security module
All looks good ...has never had any water intrusion which is more common on the SRT because of a leaking gasket around the wing mount to the trunk lid
Leaving in one week for the Crossfires in the Ozarks in Eureka Springs

New RCM - Relay Control Module
photo78.jpg
photo797.jpg

Last edited by Valk; 06-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did I do today? drove another 239.7 miles for work, And Achieved an all time best MPG average. 239.7 miles, 8.2 gallons of fuel......29.23 MPG!!!! on Shell mid grade Fuel. I ran a couple tank of premium through it a week ago and got worse fuel mileage, so back to the mid grade.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Forum Regular

Installed my new top from Bas. Easy peasy except the damn weatherstripping on the side. What a pain in the ***. Got one I need to peal out and redo.
The Bas top needs a little different plastic piece with more "clip" on the section under the weatherstrip between the rear window and the truck lid. It's wanting to pop out a little.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?