All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Reversing sensors

Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing sensors

Need to fit reversing sensors. Have seen the 'invisible ' electromagnetic type where you stick an aerial strip on the inside of the bumper. It seems you need to have a bumper with a smooth inside surface , with no strengthening ribs etc.
Anyone know what the inside of the bumper is like ?
Anyone fitted this type of sensor, if yes, are they any good ?
Mick
PS picked up my 2006 Aero Blue Coupe/dark grey interior on Friday, only 21k miles and in absolutely excellent condition, just like fresh from the factory !

Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Reversing sensors

It is just a bumper cover. You should be able to remove it, install your sensors, and then re-install, hook up the wiring....

Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might be some help.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Unhappy Re: Reversing sensors

Hi oledoc2u and Robby,
You missed my point, I would like to fit the 'invisible' type sensor, no holes needed, just an aerial strip that is stuck on the inside of the rear bumper. Wanted to know if inside of bumper is smooth to allow aerial strip to stuck on. Video wasn't clear.
Mick

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oconnom
Hi oledoc2u and Robby,
You missed my point, I would like to fit the 'invisible' type sensor, no holes needed, just an aerial strip that is stuck on the inside of the rear bumper. Wanted to know if inside of bumper is smooth to allow aerial strip to stuck on. Video wasn't clear.
Mick
Is this any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_12.jpg (30.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Oconnom - I don't know if you've actually used that type of sensor before or not. I've had it on 3 cars (2 fitted professionally for me and the third I did for my dad, fitting it myself). My experience was that it's not bad and is certainly invisible, BUT it's difficult to get the length right so it doesn't read the side of the car. They can be erratic and tend to be over sensitive, they don't like being on for any length of time (while sitting in reverse waiting for someone to get out of a parking space) and on one occasion, mine beeped merrily away - not with the solid 'stop' tone - as you'd expect, and continued to do so right up to the time when I gently backed into a rough brick wall .

I was going very, very slowly and it was raining, which may or may not have had anything to do with it, but I was relying on it, it let me down and left me with a scratched bumper. The inescapable fact is that if was really a good system, manufacturers would use it at the factory, but they don't as it's affected by the amount of fuel in your tank, the metal structure inside your bumpers etc.

Have you thought about the Cobra R0394 flush ones (such as fitted to Audi and BMW). I've fitted those to two cars in the family. They look great and work well. They are a bit more of a faff to fit (but not that much) and you have to buy the correct hole saw, but they are much, much better in use. I have a set purchased for the XF too, but just haven't got round to fitting them yet.

Good luck, whichever you choose and I hope the above is of some help.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've decided that the electromagnetic sensors aren't for me and have ordered a set of the small flush fit ones you mentioned, the ones you see on BMWs. Also ordered a proper bolt up hole cutter, not confident the saw type you use in a drill will leave a perfect hole. the bolt up hole cutter actually curves the cut edge in towards the inside and leaves a very neat hole with no sharp edge.

I found a reference to an OEM rear park sensor kit in the Crossfire parts manual, nicely shows best position for the 4 sensors. It includes a dash display, would love to know if anyone has one on their Crossfire ! Would like to know where the dash display fits and dimensions.

Mick

Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Well, FWIW I fitted a set of flush fitting parking sensors today. Bit of a mission to get the bumper off but I reckon I could do it in under 10 mins now I know where all the fixings are ! Fitted sensors in same location as factory option sensors, these flush fits look really good.
Once the bumper was off, I unclipped the integral plastic frame and removed the hard polystyrene packing to get good access . One thing I found was tha the inside of the bumper is smooth and would suit an electromagnetic aerial sensor system nicely.
Had to cut slots out of the polystyrene packing to accommodate the sensors, but easy with a hot knife. Bumper was Reasonably easy to re-fit with help of a second pair of hands to offer the bumper up and engage the side slide fittings. Good thing was no need to remove any internal trunk trim (other than the rear light access panels) or jack the car up. Rear light units have to be removed but dead simple with 3 x 10mm nuts each. Spliced into the reverse light and ground wires close to the rear lamp cluster plug. Control ECU and buzzer fitted in the cavity behind the light.
Mick
'06 Aero Blue Coupe

Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Cool deal......post some photos when you have time

Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Wink Re: Reversing sensors

Will do once I work out how to post pics !
Mick

Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 AM

As requested, here are some fots, one of the car, one of the interior, one of the Kenwood KMR radio and two of the rear parking sensors. Colour match of the sensors is not 100%, but I can sort that at a later date.

Mick

Attached Images
XF.JPG (393.8 KB, 47 views)
XF interior.JPG (375.5 KB, 174 views)
XF sensor.JPG (368.5 KB, 63 views)
XF sensors.JPG (379.6 KB, 63 views)
KMR-558BT.JPG (369.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM

As requested, here are some fots, one of the car, one of the interior, one of the Kenwood KMR radio and two of the rear parking sensors. Colour match of the sensors is not 100%, but I can sort that at a later date.

Mick
yes, the color doesn't match for now, but still not real noticeable. Nice job.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

been searching site to find out how to remove rear bumper,is there a how too guide?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to download the Crossfire service manual (available on the forum) to your computer and you'll have it handy for future reference / use . . . Instructions and illustrations for removing the rear fascia are on page 2934 of the manual (that's the page number from the 2005 Crossfire SRT6 Service manual).

Here's the forum link to all the available Crossfire reference documentation . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post111722

Enjoy your Crossfire!

Last edited by RED DOG; 06-01-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Hi Red Dog, thanks for that it will be a big help and will make life a lot easier.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

The Kenwood sure looks good in that panel.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Mick
Your radio suffers the same as mine, it is recessed too much at the top and flush at the bottom. I have shimmed mine up a little but not enough yet. It really bugs me the more I look at it and think about it.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-kmr-558bt.jpg

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

180, I have the Kenwood in both cars and the way it sits bugs me too. If you pull the HU out of the hole and look at it from the side the bezel and face is tapered to the top by design. I think they wanted the face angled up for ergonomics. I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

Jeff K

Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 AM

Hi, been searching for the correct positions for the sensors, searched through the parts catalogue for all years with no luck. Which volume are the measurements in for the OEM sensors?