All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Rear ended at a red light today. Will it be totalled? Opinions wanted

Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended at a red light today. Will it be totalled? Opinions wanted

This happened this morning. The adjuster is supposed to contact me within 48hrs, so I guess I'll know soon enough. From what I've seen it doesn't take much to total these cars.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1229151052.jpg (3.94 MB, 225 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Default Re: Rear ended at a red light today. Will it be totalled? Opinions wanted

Hard to see at this angle but the wheel is shifted forward just rubbing the front of the wheel well. The drivers door no longer closes.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Rear ended at a red light today. Will it be totalled? Opinions wanted

Looks bad. The Parts Vultures are already circling over it. I'll take both front fenders,hood,windshield surround and rear spoiler. Squirrel Crusher

Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 AM

Sorry to hear the news. Such a shame, looks like a you had a nice car there.

Definitely a write off, see what you can buy it back for if you have the time/space and energy to break it.

Are you going for another Crossfire?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Key in Florida is DO NOT give up your title until you decide to let the Insurance Company have the car and with the amount of damage to an SRT I would not - even if you agree to accept a "total value", that can be done without the Ins Co touching the title.

The problem is that if the Ins. Co. has the title it can have the title marked "Salvage" and "Certificate of Destruction" & a COD title cannot be used for registration. "Salvage-Repairable" can but you have to go though a number of hoops.

I did this before in a similar accident to son's car when rear ended, accepted a reduced payment but never surrendered the title. Repaired the car & replaced anything damaged. Son drove for several years after.

ps a good body shop could pull the kink out that has moved the wheel forward and impacting the B pillar. Talk to one before making a decision but personally for a few hundred dollars scrap value off their chek I'd keep the car. Then you can decide what to do (and am sure one of the circling sharks would give you more than the Ins Co. would want particularly if it has a clean Florida non-salvage title

pps hope you were not injured. Those kinds of accidents can take a day before the pain sets in.

Last edited by Padgett; 12-30-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:31 AM

Still no word from the adjuster yet. This waiting is the pits. Thanks for the kind words and insight. I'm thankfully injury free.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ouch, Sorry about your luck. I have gotten into the habit , until I get my flashing brake light installed, to tap the brakes about three times to simulate the flasher. I truly want the driver behind me to have no doubt that I am stopping, or slowing down. I find that in situations where the speed limit drops in a zone, it is easy to form a bad habit to just to let off the throttle and let the motor slow the car without brakes, however, as this saves brakes, it doesn't let the car behind you know if you're slowing down leading to the possibility of a rear-end collision like yours. If you happen to be in the Orlando /Winter Park area, Rudy's MB on Fairbanks uses a friend I've known many years to do much of their European body and paint work named Russell. Get with me if you are interested in his phone number. I have seen him do amazing things with his skills for over 35 years and he has recently done a couple of Crossies. Good luck with your adjustor.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:47 AM

This time of the year nothing happens quickly and particularly in warm resorts now crowded with tourists. Toss cell phones in the mix (think all rentals should be equipped for hands free phone) and is best to stay off certain roads.

OTOH this is an opportunity to have some estimates ready when the adjuster does show up.

ps "until I get my flashing brake light installed" - is that legal in Florida ?

Last edited by Padgett; 12-31-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always sad to see a CF with damage, bring tears to my eyes. I hope you were not hurt. On the other side of replacing the CF, I recently looked at a Carfax site that had approx 100 CF for sale (all over the country), many with low mileage, not sure how many SRT. I did install the flashing 3rd brake light because folks behind a CF seem to think that the CF is invisible, or so it seems. Folks really tailgate more so in the CF as compared to any other vehicle I drive. And yes, with a manual you can let the transmission slow the car but I always check behind and hit the brakes repeatedly so that the guy behind gets off his phone to hit his brake. Sitting at a red light and rear ended, not much anyone could do. Not a very happy end of the rear experience. Good luck to you. Maybe the adjuster will give you enough $ to have properly repaired. Payouts can differ from adjuster to adjuster, so I've been told.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 PM

Glad you're ok. I'm not saying the culprit was texting, but I recently gave up motorcycling (after over 50 years) because of distracted drivers. They are all over the roadways....scares the hell out of me!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:36 AM

Well when I was rearended in 2012 while stopped in traffic in an exit lane by a F*rd 150 I was in my big red Jeep Grand Cherokee so they apparently can't even see a barn door.

ps some do seem awfully close but I have to remember that I am almost five feet closer to the rear bumper in the XF than the Heep.

pps at least I have fewer SUVs trying to occupy my lane than when I drove a Fiero. Crossie is just enough higher to be above their window sill line.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 PM

Finally got an adjuster out to survey the damage today. He seemed optimistic that it's repairable, however he didn't seem too familiar with the car or it's value. He decided to have it torn down prior to assigning an estimate so it'll be off to the body shop tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by ritous1
Finally got an adjuster out to survey the damage today. He seemed optimistic that it's repairable, however he didn't seem too familiar with the car or it's value. He decided to have it torn down prior to assigning an estimate so it'll be off to the body shop tomorrow.
Good luck on the outcome.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to ask them if they looked at the floor pan where the sway bar link brackets attached to the floor, the floor pan metal is very thin and is easily damaged.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"didn't seem too familiar with the car", where have I heard those words before??? Not with a Crossfire, lol?? I hope you find good info, whether the CF is "safe" to repair. On a note of replacement, I viewed one forum member that is on their 3rd CF. We do get attached to our vehicles. I has hit in my (1st) Honda Element, flipped it on it's side. Ins co wanted to repair, I desired to move on to a replacement. Finally they totaled it, sent me a check. I'm now on my 3rd Honda Element, they stopped producing them in 2011, my 3rd one is used, found it with low mileage at a dealer. Worst case scenario you'll get a few bucks for your damaged/totaled CF and look for another. So glad you were not hurt!! Good luck.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sorry about your car and glad that you were not hurt.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

this guy might have what you need if you plan to do it yourself

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...5k-bumped.html

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

There doing a tear down to confirm if it can be repaired. They are looking for frame damage. If they find any it is a total. In the adjuster mind your prolly a borderline TL prior to tear down.

Did the air bag deploy? It looks like it didnt.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Got an initial estimate this morning of $4500. Still working with everyone to get it to the body shop. Airbags are intact. To be continued...

Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Got an initial estimate this morning of $4500. Still working with everyone to get it to the body shop. Airbags are intact. To be continued...
That's good, so there cannot be any major damage. Basically they are saying that it will buff out.

Quick Reply: Rear ended at a red light today. Will it be totalled? Opinions wanted