CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   My FSS counter is going backwards (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/74772-my-fss-counter-going-backwards.html)

Raindem 07-15-2016 12:23 AM

My FSS counter is going backwards

I've owned my 2005 limited coupe for about a month now. For the first 3 weeks the FSS counter was stuck on 10,700. I assume that is miles-to-go. I was going to post that it never seemed to change, even though I've put about 500 miles on since buying.

Today, I noticed that it jumped up to 10,900 before the next service. So is something malfunctioning or is this normal operation for this gadget.

Thanks

Curt

Steve Jr 07-15-2016 01:31 AM

Re: My FSS counter is going backwards

7000 miles is when your FSS should alert you it's time for an oil change or if you drive aggressively it will make adjustments to provide protection for your engine. I hope it is not 10k past time, for an oil change. It may be someone just didn't know how to reset the FSS. Just to be sure, check the oil on the dipstick, if it looks like tar, change the oil.(lol)

harbor 07-15-2016 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr (Post 870356)
7000 miles is when your FSS should alert you it's time for an oil change or if you drive aggressively it will make adjustments to provide protection for your engine. I hope it is not 10k past time, for an oil change. It may be someone just didn't know how to reset the FSS. Just to be sure, check the oil on the dipstick, if it looks like tar, change the oil.(lol)

I wasn't aware that the FSS makes adjustments to the engine if the mileage is overdue. My understanding is that the FSS is just a mileage indicator for oil changes similar to the OLM in current vehicles.

Raindem 07-15-2016 08:28 AM

I'm pretty sure it is displaying miles before next service. It displays for a few seconds when the car is started and no other lights come on when driving.

I do about 90% highway driving so I expected a long service interval. But not this long.

ZERACER 07-15-2016 10:41 AM

If you read the manual, the maximum between changes is 7000 miles.

Raindem 07-15-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 870375)
If you read the manual, the maximum between changes is 7000 miles.

I did. And that's not correct. On p. 203 it says that light duty driving can extend the service period beyond 7,000 miles. But a 10,000 mile interval seemed excessive which is why I asked the question.

Steve Jr 07-15-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by harbor (Post 870368)
I wasn't aware that the FSS makes adjustments to the engine if the mileage is overdue. My understanding is that the FSS is just a mileage indicator for oil changes similar to the OLM in current vehicles.

There is no adjustment to the engine sorry if that was confusing. The interval between services is determined by the type of vehicle operation. Driving at extreme speeds, and cold starts combined with short distance driving in which the engine does not reach operating temperature, reduce the interval between services. (?) Do you see a wrench symbol, in your display, one is for service schedule A, two is for service schedule B. If you do not have a owners manual, you can download one from here, on the forum. If you DIY, also get the service manual. It will save you a bunch of, "What the ****!":)

GraphiteGhost 07-15-2016 11:36 AM

:) Interesting question, about exceeding the FSS, does it 'change' anything. With the latest trend of 'nanny' computers, I wonder if it 'flags' anything in any of the internal computers? This would be quite the thing for companies to 'track' abuses of any car. I can think of two instances where this can be troublesome. One, any dealer/factory extended/regular warrantees, and other 'add-on' warranties. So, does anyone know of any 'storage' of parameters (in the PTCM, ECU, or others)? :)

Raindem 07-15-2016 05:35 PM

It's a single wrench symbol, indicating a schedule A service. It comes on when I start the car and then goes off after a few seconds (switches to mileage display).

If the service is overdue shouldn't the service indicator stay on all the time? I've read this section of the manual a couple times and don't find where it specifies what the display should read when it's overdue.

So now I'm thinking that it is not displaying mileage to go. It is showing mileage overdue. Steve might be correct I have a feeling, however, the oil was recently changed before I bought the vehicle. It was slightly overfilled and looked pretty fresh.

Maybe I should just reset it and see what happens?

Edit: Correction. It's a double wrench symbol. I had to put my glasses on to see it well.

Edit #2: I just read on page 8J-83 of the service manual that the service indicator should indeed display when mileage or time has been exceeded. It should appear while driving, flash, and be preceeded with a negative sign. Mine is preceeded by a negative sign, but it doesn't flash and doesn't appear while driving. So now I'm back where I started... not knowing if this thing is broke or is working normally.

Steve Jr 07-15-2016 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Raindem (Post 870408)
I had to put my glasses on to see it well.

That's OK, it seems to be a common problem here. :p

ZERACER 07-15-2016 06:10 PM

I reset mine and it always starts out at 7000 miles and goes down. As insurance I also write down the milage and dates for oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter changes.

Raindem 07-15-2016 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 870411)
I reset mine and it always starts out at 7000 miles and goes down. As insurance I also write down the milage and dates for oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter changes.

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do. And in fact what I've done for all my vehicles for the last 30 years.

I think what happened here is the oil was recently changed and they didn't bother to reset the FSS. The overdue status should have been flashing at me while I was driving but wasn't. So there's probably a fault in the system somewhere.

Steve Jr 07-15-2016 06:52 PM

Once the suggested term has passed, the message plus either the symbol for Service A or the symbol for Service B proceeded by a - ( minus symbol) blinks for approximately 30 seconds and a signal sounds every time when turning the key to the ON/RUN position.

Raindem 07-15-2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr (Post 870417)
Once the suggested term has passed, the message plus either the symbol for Service A or the symbol for Service B proceeded by a - ( minus symbol) blinks for approximately 30 seconds and a signal sounds every time when turning the key to the ON/RUN position.

No blinking and no signal here. Just the initial 5 second display. That's why I initially thought it was showing miles to go.

So it was up to -11,000 miles when I reset it today. I'm going to presume that the last oil change was 4,000 miles ago. Then I'll do another one in 3,000 miles, reset the FSS again, and get her back on schedule.

onehundred80 07-16-2016 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Raindem (Post 870425)
No blinking and no signal here. Just the initial 5 second display. That's why I initially thought it was showing miles to go.

So it was up to -11,000 miles when I reset it today. I'm going to presume that the last oil change was 4,000 miles ago. Then I'll do another one in 3,000 miles, reset the FSS again, and get her back on schedule.

Is there something wrong with your maths? I'd hazard a guess that the FSS was last set 18,000 miles ago, 7,000 to zero and then another -11,000.
I am not sure it is that simple but .........

pizzaguy 07-16-2016 11:28 AM

It is telling you that you are 10900 PAST DUE because it was not reset when the oil was changed.
Why not just reset the damn thing, it will reset to 7000.

NOW, it is TRUE that the car will sometimes let you go up to 10,000 miles between changes, but you will not see 10,000 displayed. What happens is this:

YOu reset to 7000. As you drive, say in city traffic every day, it will drop in 100 mile increments almost in sync iwth the actual odometer. Now, say you drive at 70 on an interstate all day - those miles are easy on oil. The counter will STILL do down from 7000, but it may only drop 100 miles for every, say 200 miles on the odometer.

But it will NEVER indicate that you have 10,000 miles to go. Take a close look, you are probably not seeing the "-" before the number, indicating -10,900 past due. Of course, it could also be that the "-" segment is not working.

onehundred80 07-16-2016 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 870448)
It is telling you that you are 10900 PAST DUE because it was not reset when the oil was changed.
Why not just reset the damn thing, it will reset to 7000.

NOW, it is TRUE that the car will sometimes let you go up to 10,000 miles between changes, but you will not see 10,000 displayed. What happens is this:

YOu reset to 7000. As you drive, say in city traffic every day, it will drop in 100 mile increments almost in sync iwth the actual odometer. Now, say you drive at 70 on an interstate all day - those miles are easy on oil. The counter will STILL do down from 7000, but it may only drop 100 miles for every, say 200 miles on the odometer.

But it will NEVER indicate that you have 10,000 miles to go. Take a close look, you are probably not seeing the "-" before the number, indicating -10,900 past due. Of course, it could also be that the "-" segment is not working.

In post #14 he mentions the minus symbol.

pizzaguy 07-16-2016 11:58 AM

Yea, I missed that post. I think I'm going to resign as moderator from at least one page. My online time is spread too thin, I don't think I am as effective as I should be.

I moderate on three forums and one facebook page. It's too much, that is, until I retire some day. :)
Carry on, Dave

rush549 07-20-2016 08:23 PM

You may have accidentally pushed the FSS "Benjamin Button". Curious as that seems, this appears to be the case here.

Natemo 12-20-2016 11:00 AM

"No blinking and no signal here. Just the initial 5 second display. That's why I initially thought it was showing miles to go."

I had the same thing, only my number has not changed since the day I bought it. I get the clock, wrench and -730 which only show at start up and not while driving. I'm still working on getting the FSS to reset. I've followed the instruction at least half a dozen times. I'm beginning to think it's broken.