All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

ESP / Traction Control Fully Off for Dyno

Old 12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ESP / Traction Control Fully Off for Dyno

Please can some tell me the definitive answer as to how I can turn off the traction control fully for the purposes of dyno testing on a rolling road?

I have searched and read many threads and haven't found anything definite. I thought I'd found it with "remove fuse 17 & 18" then someone said even that doesn't "fully disable" it.

I had a dyno today and the only reason for the low figure I can think is that the ESP wasn't fully off, certainly no fuses were removed. Here's hoping someone knows the answer!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: ESP / Traction Control Fully Off for Dyno

I'll admit I DO NOT know much about "dyno" testing/running. But I must ask what are you doing? What is a Dyno D?? (You mentioned it in another post) I ask because the dyno testing I'm familiar with is done on a stationary platform, yet you are doing this on a rolling road. If you are using some kind of computer hookup to the OBD II port under the dash, then you are using a computer simulation and the results will vary with the program. Basically, a guess as to what is really happening. It might be a good guess, but none the less it is still only a guess. It is similar to the climate change, atmosphere warming thing; everybody gets a different answer and comes to different conclusions.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
I'll admit I DO NOT know much about "dyno" testing/running. But I must ask what are you doing? What is a Dyno D?? (You mentioned it in another post) I ask because the dyno testing I'm familiar with is done on a stationary platform, yet you are doing this on a rolling road. If you are using some kind of computer hookup to the OBD II port under the dash, then you are using a computer simulation and the results will vary with the program. Basically, a guess as to what is really happening. It might be a good guess, but none the less it is still only a guess. It is similar to the climate change, atmosphere warming thing; everybody gets a different answer and comes to different conclusions.
I probably know less than you but I think a Dyno D Is a Dyno Dynamics machine and a rolling road is a Dyno D or similar dyno tester. Get it?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Yes sorry, Dyno D is "Dyno Dynamics" the manufacturer of the equipment, and a rolling road is a stationary platform - maybe you call them something different in the US?

After a lot of reading I'm convinced the traction wasn't off, can't believe my car - that he said was all fueling good and running fine - would only make 199.8HP at the flywheel when stock should be 215. It has exhaust, filters & map done and is definitely quicker than my girlfriend's stock XF the same.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by getaway
Yes sorry, Dyno D is "Dyno Dynamics" the manufacturer of the equipment, and a rolling road is a stationary platform - maybe you call them something different in the US?

After a lot of reading I'm convinced the traction wasn't off, can't believe my car - that he said was all fueling good and running fine - would only make 199.8HP at the flywheel when stock should be 215. It has exhaust, filters & map done and is definitely quicker than my girlfriend's stock XF the same.
The 215 is in the lab, ideal conditions and without the drag of an alternator. His figure is just a guess using an estimated loss for drive chain losses.
Look on the bright side, you can catch your girlfriend.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The 215 is in the lab, ideal conditions and without the drag of an alternator. His figure is just a guess using an estimated loss for drive chain losses.
Look on the bright side, you can catch your girlfriend.
I think it's a bit more than a guess, from what I've read the Dyno D system uses the run down and other things to get the flywheel figure, and recognised as being reasonably accurate. I've had quite a few different cars done over the years on Dyno Ds and they generally make what you would expect, and never had one read under manufacturer's quoted figure, which is why I was so surprised with this being so much short - one or two out, but not fifteen.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

dynos are close but never will be 100%. I think a dyno would be good for comparisons when modding. to see if you see any gains, but I wouldn't put much into the reading other than that. If it performs well for you, then that is all that matters. I see numbers thrown out there all the time. They are all over the board with similar modifications. But few are the same...