All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Brake Caliper Covers

Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brake Caliper Covers

Well I did it! It just installed MGP brake caliper covers and I love the look. I initally painted my brake calipers; however, it is impossible to keep the brake dust from getting in all of the areas of the calipers. The caliiper covers give a nice clean look to my car and they are easy to keep clean. Many members dislike the covers and I can understand their point of view. I did contact a well respected auto mechanic and he thought it was a good idea to install the covers in order to get that clean look. If you are racing your car a lot then I don't recommend installing the caliper covers. Have a nice week and keep those Crossfires looking good.
EarlJ

Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: Brake Caliper Covers

I originally had a set of Gloss Black ones on my 2007 Coupe. Like you, I liked the look but the Black really didn't show up much. I recently bought a set of Gloss Yellow MGP covers with the Crossfire lettering that I found from a vendor on eBay. These look really good! I've got a set of Red ones on my 2006 F-150 STX 4x4 and I get great feedback everywhere I drive it in town.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM

I put the Gloss Red brake caliper covers on my Crossfire and they look GREAT! I know some members dislike the caliper covers; however, I think they make a positive addition to the car.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get the " wow look at the size of those brakes! " comments quite often .
i dont say much haha .

Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one who likes the look.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM

There may be only a few of us that like the clean look of the brake caliper covers; however, our numbers are growing. Have a great day and keep those Crossfires looking good.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by earlj
There may be only a few of us that like the clean look of the brake caliper covers; however, our numbers are growing. Have a great day and keep those Crossfires looking good.

There are also a number of us XF owners who have ceramic brakes who also enjoy a clean set of uncovered calipers. I for one am not a fan of trapping heat in an area that generates huge amounts of heat by virtue of its use/design. No matter what you cover them with, they will trap heat, which is not a good thing. It is my personal opinion, one I honestly believe in.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
There are also a number of us XF owners who have ceramic brakes who also enjoy a clean set of uncovered calipers. I for one am not a fan of trapping heat in an area that generates huge amounts of heat by virtue of its use/design. No matter what you cover them with, they will trap heat, which is not a good thing. It is my personal opinion, one I honestly believe in.

I always respect your opinion but if you look closely at how they are attached, there doesn't appear to be much chance that they will "trap" hot air. Maybe for a racer, where every BTU counts but under normal driving conditions they should be fine. I have DiscItalia hyper ceramix pads, no dust, yet I like the covers, they give the appearance of a larger caliper and the option to easily change colors if you like. Maybe one day, I will upgrade to a bigger brake and would want to show them off but the car stops so well with the ceramic pads, I'm not sure that an upgrade is called for.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I am helping a friend make kits that make 4 and 6 cylinder engines look like 8 and 12 cylinder engines, l think we are onto a winner.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I always respect your opinion but if you look closely at how they are attached, there doesn't appear to be much chance that they will "trap" hot air. Maybe for a racer, where every BTU counts but under normal driving conditions they should be fine. I have DiscItalia hyper ceramix pads, no dust, yet I like the covers, they give the appearance of a larger caliper and the option to easily change colors if you like. Maybe one day, I will upgrade to a bigger brake and would want to show them off but the car stops so well with the ceramic pads, I'm not sure that an upgrade is called for.

Thank you for the compliment! Made my day a little brighter. As for the caliper covers, I'm not so much inclined to think it is trapped hot air as much as the radiant heat being 'reflected' back into the calipers. JMHO, there is nothing I reference just some personal thoughts about heat transfer basics. Many of us get into spirited driving, which also includes spirited braking. I know I do almost every time I drive my XF. Thanks again for the compliment!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am helping a friend make kits that make 4 and 6 cylinder engines look like 8 and 12 cylinder engines, l think we are onto a winner.

Always the entrepreneur! If they look 'cool' enough you'll have a winner with many of the young guns and the ricers! Just kidding ppl (or am I)!

Reminded me of the comment I got when I told a guy the car had 12 spark plugs, he wanted to see my V12 motor! I had to educate it is a V6 with dual plugs per cylinder

Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Always the entrepreneur! If they look 'cool' enough you'll have a winner with many of the young guns and the ricers! Just kidding ppl (or am I)!

Reminded me of the comment I got when I told a guy the car had 12 spark plugs, he wanted to see my V12 motor! I had to educate it is a V6 with dual plugs per cylinder

I dislike those phoney looking caliper covers, you know they are fake and then some put on decals that say BREMBO. They might as well go one step further and get some stick on labels from Andrew that say FERRARI and replace the Chrysler decals as well. Each to their own I guess but still .......

Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

It's still morning and my mind is still sharp. I detect a note of sarcasm there, along with a bit of humor, both are appreciated. I'm not disagreeing with any of the comments and while somewhat a purist, I still like the clean look. I put my covers on before I went to ceramic brakes, to keep the dust to a minimum and just liked the look. Now, with the wrapping of some parts with CF film, it would be easy to do the covers, just to see if I like it. I'm not against any cosmetic work to individualize your car, as long as it's not idiotic. I would like to meet all the guys some day.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
It's still morning and my mind is still sharp. I detect a note of sarcasm there, along with a bit of humor, both are appreciated. I'm not disagreeing with any of the comments and while somewhat a purist, I still like the clean look. I put my covers on before I went to ceramic brakes, to keep the dust to a minimum and just liked the look. Now, with the wrapping of some parts with CF film, it would be easy to do the covers, just to see if I like it. I'm not against any cosmetic work to individualize your car, as long as it's not idiotic. I would like to meet all the guys some day.
I am a purist but do not mind mods with benefits or to improve the look of the car. I have not seen one grille that improves the original, the best of them in my mind would be the Zunsport grille, trouble is you can see right through them. The worst are the so called billet grilles, the word billet is used seemingly to raise the quality of the grille, but billet is the common name for stock bars available off the shelf.
I actually have some Mercedes front calipers made by Brembo, I just have not put them on. I am going to refinish them, the big question is should I stick on Brembo or Mercedes decals or leave them as they were?
I can see them making the brakes spongier.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-27-2017 at 01:44 PM.