All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 AM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Didn't want to quote my own post here but I was told the 'bag' they would be getting would be 'installed' into my specific trim parts after the tech removed mine. Now since the guy behind the desk had (so far) no idea to date about this, I will be watching the XF tech guy when he unpacks that ordered 'bag'. Yes, I had already (as far as I was able to which was definitive) researched the 08 one for my car just after the recall notice I got back in April 0f 16, so I was asking today (actually yesterday now) if the one ordered was with the trim (like the parts manual was indicating). So, if it is it should be the matching trim. If it is just the bag and the trim has to be swapped into/onto the replacement bag, then I'll hopefully see that happen. Of course, I'll report here if I can find out. Those who get theirs before I see mine being replaced, feel free to update this post as you can?

Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my dealer yesterday and they said the bags are available and will order me one. Supposed to be here next week. Still winter in PA. and they said they would put my name on it and keep it until I can take the car in.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am the original owner of Wilma. At the 33,000 mile mark...the only unexpected repair I've ever had to pay for was a tail light bulb...tip....if you drop the bulb in there you have to remove the entire assembly to get it out.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ... just glad that my 2004 dodged (excuse the pun) that bullet.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Didn't want to quote my own post here but I was told the 'bag' they would be getting would be 'installed' into my specific trim parts after the tech removed mine. Now since the guy behind the desk had (so far) no idea to date about this, I will be watching the XF tech guy when he unpacks that ordered 'bag'. Yes, I had already (as far as I was able to which was definitive) researched the 08 one for my car just after the recall notice I got back in April 0f 16, so I was asking today (actually yesterday now) if the one ordered was with the trim (like the parts manual was indicating). So, if it is it should be the matching trim. If it is just the bag and the trim has to be swapped into/onto the replacement bag, then I'll hopefully see that happen. Of course, I'll report here if I can find out. Those who get theirs before I see mine being replaced, feel free to update this post as you can?

I had the airbag in my hand and I do not think you could change the outer skin, it all appears to be sealed together. I could be wrong but that is what I recall.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 518 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I had the airbag in my hand and I do not think you could change the outer skin, it all appears to be sealed together. I could be wrong but that is what I recall.
I tend to agree with your comment. I've got a spare airbag from a 2005 Roadster that I bought off eBay. Airbag looks to be extremely difficult to disassemble & re-assemble. I think under normal circumstances, the entire Airbag assembly is replaced. That would take only about an hour. Disassemble, then Re-assemble probably takes 3 hours (just guessing). And exposes the Airbag to additional wear & tear getting it apart. I know the Airbag in my coupe is in excellent shape. Anything less than that after recall service, they'll be ordering me another assembly (or installing the spare I have to fulfill the recall). I asked about doing this a few months back and the dealer said they could only install new airbags due to Federal regs.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Airbag Recall Parts In

Arrgh: No letter but was at the dealer last Wednesday with my Grand Cherokee for an oil change. Asked about the airbag recall. Was told they would be in the following week.

Called the service desk and she said I had an appointment last Thursday for the air bag and didn't show up (did have appointment and was there just not for the XF).

So now have appointment for tomorrow morning. Told the young lady to make sure it was the proper one for a Cedar (red) interior. Will see what happens.

ps said it would take a couple of hours, wonder if they have to separate the red cover from the old bag and glue....

pps why do I have to hit edit twice to make changes ?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Arrgh:

ps said it would take a couple of hours, wonder if they have to separate the red cover from the old bag and glue....

pps why do I have to hit edit twice to make changes ?
Sounds like you are robbing an old lady.

The reason you have to hit it twice is because you have checked the 'Do I really mean to edit this post' option. By the time it comes to clicking the second time the old geezer has probably forgotten all about it anyway.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It took an hour and fifteen minutes.....everything looks box stock.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Say what ? "because you have checked the 'Do I really mean to edit this post' option" - not that I am aware of, just magically started. Where is it, just went through my profile and did not see.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
It took an hour and fifteen minutes.....everything looks box stock.

Chris, did you see the part, was it the 'trim' and 'bag'? I know I'll see the part when mine comes in (I'll be sure to see it) but just trying to confirm the total lack of knowledge of the service manager who told me the trim is popped off the old one and put on the new one.

I read all the other posts about members who have/had a module in their hand, and am almost 100% that the new 'bag' will have the correct trim included (again, I did look the part up 10 months ago when I got the recall) so am super curious if the replacement has some sort of instruction on how to swap just the offending defective 'bag' in the trim/module assembly. Sure would not surprise me, they save a lot o $ this way if they are just swapping the trim in the assembly.

Either way, I will be glad this FCA **** job will be over.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In - Disaster

Hoo boy. Went in for airbag recall and now really disturbed.

Went in a 9:30 am for appointment. No dash lights.

At 2:10pm they announce that I have a bad airbag module and want $800 to fix. Airbag light on dash is now on. Naturally claim they did nothing to cause.

Tell me it has a code CT1322A (module communications) that has been there since 12 Jan 17 even though driven several times and no light.

I cannot find a CT1322A in my '07 factory service manual - anyone know what this is or may be? Was told it related to communications with the underhood airbag module

Any help/advice appreciated.

Just noticed that the ORC is supposed to be in the passenger compartment, what airbag module is under the hood and near the battery ?

ps color is right.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-15-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they disconnect the battery, before disconnecting the airbag? If they did, your radio should have to be reprogrammed after 1 1/2hrs. Was the light at the shifter ever on? I'm betting it's their fault an gonna charge the crap outta you.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm quite sure if a Chrysler dealer anywhere these days replaces our airbag , we are almost certain to be injured in a severe front impact accident if one ever occurs.
Why would anyone here have any confidence in a tech doing this right and have confidence that the airbag would deploy if ever needed ?
Many here feel the dealer generally cant do anything correctly when working on our Crossfire.

Just sayin'

Last edited by Valk; 02-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At 2:10pm they announce that I have a bad airbag module and want $800 to fix. Airbag light on dash is now on. Naturally claim they did nothing to cause.

Tell me it has a code CT1322A (module communications) that has been there since 12 Jan 17 even though driven several times and no light.

I cannot find a CT1322A in my '07 factory service manual - anyone know what this is or may be? Was told it related to communications with the underhood airbag module

Just noticed that the ORC is supposed to be in the passenger compartment, what airbag module is under the hood and near the battery ?

ps color is right.
Padg - Call the toll free customer assistance # 1-800-334-9200 and fill them in on what happened. Clearly the dealership tech that worked on your car doesn't have a clue.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Did they disconnect the battery, before disconnecting the airbag? If they did, your radio should have to be reprogrammed after 1 1/2hrs. Was the light at the shifter ever on? I'm betting it's their fault an gonna charge the crap outta you.
+1 on the above reason for the dash light.
No problem before they put their hands on it and they find a problem. Idiots.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM

PHP Code:
yyy 

ps color is right.
h
Go to an Audi dealer give them that number and you'll get a set of brake pads.
You are being ripped off royally.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Valk
I'm quite sure if a Chrysler dealer anywhere these days replaces our airbag , we are almost certain to be injured in a severe front impact accident if one ever occurs.
Why would anyone here have any confidence in a tech doing this right and have confidence that the airbag would deploy if ever needed ?
Many here feel they generally cant do anything correctly when working on a Crossfire.

Just sayin'
I have had my airbag out a couple of times, it is an easy job. No problems.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Thought it important to comply particularly given the nature of the failure (metal shard projected) & have been fatalities. Did not expect to have them create a trouble light (airbag) that was not there before and want $800 to fix (manager deal).

What bothers me more is the questionable statements that are made:
1) Possibly bogus trouble code (CT1322A) C-Chassis. All air bag codes I found are B codes (body) or U - communications.
2) Knowing the date (12 January) code was set (does the Crossie know what day it is ? Does history list how long ago ?)
3) Saying the airbag module is "under the hood" so could not have been disturbed. (is in console).
4) My aftermarket Clarion radio never lost its time or presets (first instruction any time working on air bag is to remove the negative battery terminal).

All is making me wonder. A Lot. But air bags are not really my field so wanted to ask the experts here. Do feel safer with an inop air bag than a dangerous one.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

1. I gave up looking for any code like that ( Google )
2. I was not aware that any trouble code DATES are ever saved. ( agree, the car has NO idea what the current date is, unless you have the much desired Atomic Clock option installed )
3. The air bag in question is under the steering wheel cover. ( yes, the air bag control MODULE is up under the radio on the transmission tunnel )
4. BIG WARNING SIGN ! I agree, they did not disconnect the battery - very dangerous for them ( IF they really disconnected and reconnected the steering wheel airbag )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-15-2017 at 08:20 PM.