All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Padgett: I sent you a PM.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
This has come up a number of times and they are Torz screws, #30 to be precise. Do not use any other size a smaller size does fit but if it is a bit loose the socket gets damaged and the correct bit will not fit. There is a post where a member swore up, down and sideways that they were some smaller size, a while later he was wondering if he was going to have to drill out the screw head.
With all these Phillips, Torz and Allen screws the correct size bit is essential.
Torz and Phillips bits should wedge into the socket in the screw head and be able to hold the screw of reasonable size screw down with the bit vertical. That is the essential part of their design, ease of use on the assembly line. The screw stays on the bit while being inserted in the hole.

Yeah Dave, I read a few of the 'confusing' sizes of torx. I'll let the tech replacing mine to use a #30 when he does mine. I also will be bringing my 08 service manual on the pages that tell them how to replace the D/S wheel air bag. Only thing that is confusing me is the fact I cannot see a screw head in the hole (using a dental mirror and strong beam flashlight). I'll go back out in the garage and look in the hole again, real close (doesn't hurt to recheck again). I am wondering if during the OEM assembly, they 'sealed' (in any way) the tops of the torx screws as some sort of anti-tampering thing? Really, it doesn't make sense to me but after the ordeal with them (FCA) NOTHING would surprise me any more.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:01 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Yeah Dave, I read a few of the 'confusing' sizes of torx. I'll let the tech replacing mine to use a #30 when he does mine. I also will be bringing my 08 service manual on the pages that tell them how to replace the D/S wheel air bag. Only thing that is confusing me is the fact I cannot see a screw head in the hole (using a dental mirror and strong beam flashlight). I'll go back out in the garage and look in the hole again, real close (doesn't hurt to recheck again). I am wondering if during the OEM assembly, they 'sealed' (in any way) the tops of the torx screws as some sort of anti-tampering thing? Really, it doesn't make sense to me but after the ordeal with them (FCA) NOTHING would surprise me any more.

The screw is quite a long way down the hole, the bit has to be quite long. It is difficult to get the bit into the screw head and that is why people use bits tharptbare too small and damage the screw socket. Use a #30 and all will be well.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately Don's issue was not the same as mine so cannot use for assistance. Still trying to find a replacement ORC module. Is anyone parting out a car or stripping one for racing ? Please ? (posted a request in WTB).

Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Unfortunately Don's issue was not the same as mine so cannot use for assistance. Still trying to find a replacement ORC module. Is anyone parting out a car or stripping one for racing ? Please ? (posted a request in WTB).
I have seen these on eBay, I'll look again.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there different colors for the airbag? I have cedar interior.

Thought it important to comply particularly given the nature of the failure (metal shard projected) & have been fatalities. Did not expect to have them create a trouble light (airbag) that was not there before and want $800 to fix (manager deal).

What bothers me more is the questionable statements that are made:
1) Possibly bogus trouble code (CT1322A) C-Chassis. All air bag codes I found are B codes (body) or U - communications.
2) Knowing the date (12 January) code was set (does the Crossie know what day it is ? Does history list how long ago ?)
3) Saying the airbag module is "under the hood" so could not have been disturbed. (is in console).
4) My aftermarket Clarion radio never lost its time or presets (first instruction any time working on air bag is to remove the negative battery terminal).

All is making me wonder. A Lot. But air bags are not really my field so wanted to ask the experts here. Do feel safer with an inop air bag than a dangerous one.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

NOTE: The service manual does not mention anything about separating the airbag from the steering wheel cover.
They are treated as a single unit, so I would think the dealer needs your color before ordering the replacement.
But then, I could be wrong.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
NOTE: The service manual does not mention anything about separating the airbag from the steering wheel cover.
They are treated as a single unit, so I would think the dealer needs your color before ordering the replacement.
But then, I could be wrong.
Air bags of the different colors have different part numbers. That has to say something and we went through this a few posts back.
If they know your VIN then they know the OEM color for you.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

OK, splains that. Thanks Lucy.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wilma's steering wheel trim looked brand new before the airbag fix and after.....can't tell if new trim?? Sorry.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Wilma's steering wheel trim looked brand new before the airbag fix and after.....can't tell if new trim?? Sorry.
It's a totally new bag and the trim as you call it is integral with the bag assembly. It is all explained previously in this thread.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM

I have seen these on eBay, I'll look again.

Took a look myself. Near as I can tell it is a #4 (From parts book). Also anything under $50 is probably not it. Problem is all of the hits that are not it, is particularly difficult because I have never seen one (may just go into the console, take a picture, & reseat the sockets if nothing else. Wonder if it has a Bosch part number also).

Was hoping someone here had a spare one for sale so could just go in once but no response as yet. Nearest parts car at moment seems to be in Tampa.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 PM

Took a look myself. Near as I can tell it is a #4 (From parts book). Also anything under $50 is probably not it. Problem is all of the hits that are not it, is particularly difficult because I have never seen one (may just go into the console, take a picture, & reseat the sockets if nothing else. Wonder if it has a Bosch part number also).

Was hoping someone here had a spare one for sale so could just go in once but no response as yet. Nearest parts car at moment seems to be in Tampa.
I think this is it on eBay CLICK

Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

I think this is it on eBay CLICK
've looked at these before. That link is the sensor module. But it 's not mounted anywhere near the airbag and I don't believe it's part of this recall.

I'm hoping the dealer service department will let me see what they do for this task or at least let me see the new part.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by autumnmass
Are there different colors for the airbag? I have cedar interior.

There should be 4 different airbags due to interior color combinations:

1) Cedar (Dark Slate Gray and Cedar two-ton)
2) Medium Slate Gray (Dark Slate Gray and Medium Slate Gray two-tone)
3) Vanilla (Dark Slate Gray and Vanilla two-tone)
4) Dark Slate Gray (Dark Slate Gray monotone)

And as a reminder, on quite a few 2008 models with the Dark Slate Gray & Vanilla interiors, the steering wheel & its trim was Dark Slate Gray, not Vanilla like earlier model years. It will be curious to see if FCA knows this fact by the VIN number.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Valk
....Why would anyone here have any confidence in a tech doing this right and have confidence that the airbag would deploy if ever needed ?
Many here feel the dealer generally cant do anything correctly when working on our Crossfire.
This is the primary reason I asked to be serviced by Benson CDJR in my area, rather than Big O Dodge, which was the closest dealership. Big O Dodge took over the Chrysler/Jeep dealership from Crown when Chrysler consolidated years back. So Big O Dodge has never sold Crossfires and probably doesn't have much, if any, experience working on them. Benson sold the Crossfire and should have Service Techs familiar with working on these cars. But as a precaution, I think I'll take a copy of the airbag removal & install from the Service Manual just in case the Service Tech is unfamiliar with the procedure. FCA should have provided to the dealer service centers clear instructions on how this recall is to be executed.

Went back & added the attached files. Curious to know if Chrysler Service Techs perform the Verification Test when they complete the airbag recall. Only way to guarantee that the SRS (Supplemental Restriant System) will function properly. They have to make sure there are no trouble codes present.

Attached Images
Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-18-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
've looked at these before. That link is the sensor module. But it 's not mounted anywhere near the airbag and I don't believe it's part of this recall.
Padgett is possibly looking for one, as you can see his may possibly be faulty.
Not mounted anywhere near the air bag? I'd say pretty close as it is just in front of the transmission shifter on the tunnel.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Went back & added the attached files. Curious to know if Chrysler Service Techs perform the Verification Test when they complete the airbag recall. Only way to guarantee that the SRS (Supplemental Restriant System) will function properly. They have to make sure there are no trouble codes present.

I wonder why they want the iggy 'ON' before hooking the battery back up? Hooking a battery up to a 'LOAD' (IMHO) is both risky and unsafe. Risky because there is a possibility of a surge due to the car electronics being 'turned on' sequentially (by the ignition switch), and unsafe due to the sparks creating a surge (present when placing the clamp on said battery) with the car wanting a full load (unlike just the parasitic draw expected). I wonder WHAT they did to Padgett's car? Maybe they did this 'iggy on then battery' thing? I wonder IF they are feeding you the 'later' Jeep SRS code ( ANFSCD OBD-II Code CT1322A - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum ), or does FCA use these 'hidden' codes in the MB ORC moduls as well?

Knowing what is in my 08 Vol 2 section 8 page 8-520/521 (SRS Verification Test), I would ask them to verify NO CODES are present BEFORE they touch mine. This way, if it isn't working afterwards, then FCA is CLEARLY 100% at fault. I also wonder if they could have PINCHED a wire during reassembly, causing this code? Did they try to 'reset' that present code? With all the members here who have replaced their wheel/bag, it cannot be that hard to do it WITHOUT hooking up the verification test, could it? The manual SHOULD have that test done BEFORE they touch anything (but that would cement liability wouldn't it?). THE SELF CHECK OF THE AIRBAG LIGHT IN CLUSTER SHOULD BE 100% AS TO THE INTEGRETY OF THE SYSTEM BEFORE SERVICE (lamp on after start/run, then off after @ 6 seconds WITHOUT lamp lit afterwards).

You have quite a risk buying a ORC (Occupant Restraint Controller) module off the internet, the service manual cautions not to drop or jar it because its accelerometer integral to that module may be damaged. You can read more in Vol 2 of the 08 service manual pages 80-522/523 OR whatever manual you have which may have a different page close to this one referenced. Since reading this post, I have read a lot of this entire section, and believe THEY (the guys replacing that airbag) did something out of sequence (maybe like that reconnection of the battery with the iggy on). IF they checked in that car with the airbag light off (or any reference to on or off), they most surely did something to pop that code up. The replacement mentioned/sequenced in that section of the service manual (same volume pages 80-533/535.

This makes me MAD as hell, they are trying to bend you over and not use lube. Oh aren't they so nice to 'reduce' the price they want to charge you? Get a printout of the error code (without letting them touch your car again) and take your car to another service department to 'reset' the entire SRS system. Sounds like your going to need a hand legally, good luck!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM

This is the primary reason I asked to be serviced by Benson CDJR in my area, rather than Big O Dodge, which was the closest dealership. Big O Dodge took over the Chrysler/Jeep dealership from Crown when Chrysler consolidated years back. So Big O Dodge has never sold Crossfires and probably doesn't have much, if any, experience working on them. Benson sold the Crossfire and should have Service Techs familiar with working on these cars. But as a precaution, I think I'll take a copy of the airbag removal & install from the Service Manual just in case the Service Tech is unfamiliar with the procedure. FCA should have provided to the dealer service centers clear instructions on how this recall is to be executed.

Just a note, the service manual states its 'self' check as key on/start lamp lit for @ 6 seconds then it goes out. IF the lamp is lit before, or it does not light for that @ 6 seconds (or go out) then the system is having a fault. I am sure I read it in Vol 2 section 8 pages 80-504 (onwards). The owners manual of my car lists it as the 'Airbag' light, left side cluster about midway on its right side of that cluster.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 02-18-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added Information
Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Thank you. I have the factory service manual ('07 from CD).

One issue is that the code I was given, CT1322A, is apparently not a DTC code. As explained by the service advisor it is a "Communications Code". I talked to someone at AutoEnginuity who said it may be a Mercedes comm link code and some of those are date stamped. Also said (Thursday) he would get back with me but has not.

Pricy but I would buy one if could retrieve/clear that code - if it really exists. Suspect there must be something but am apparently unable to retrieve.

Never thought to have them verify no lights before talking, one of the things you learn the hard way. Problem is they are claiming the code dates from 12 January 17 and I have no way to refute.

Guess I need to go back to the dealership again an request a copy of the fault code and p/n of module they say I need. I have a case with Chrysler Cares but have not identified the dealer yet.

Ded: thank you. The same verification section is in my '07 CD just in section 10 (has no search or page numbers which is very annoying)

But again says check for DTCs and torque does not seem to find any. Also the one I was given CT1322A, does not appear in any DTC list I have ever seen.

However since an amateur and not a professional I need advice from here first.

One thing I have learned is to avoid doing anything rash.

ps airbag light comes on at key on. goes out with the rest, then almost immediately turns back on. Am annoyed there appears to be no way I can just display any codes.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.