All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Finally got my '08 Crossfire back from the dealer this afternoon. They had it for six days to do only the air bag recall job. But they did keep it inside and it had the same mileage as when I left it. So at least they were taking proper care of it and did not try to charge me for anything. The service advisor said the air bag inflation module exchange was easy. But they ran into a problem on the final verification step. He said they needed to do some sort of reprogramming for the SRS system to recognize the new inflation module and they did not have the right software, interface and cable to complete the last step. They ordered it and got it in house yesterday and finished the job this morning. So my advice to others is before choosing a dealer to do the recall procedure, quiz them on whether they have done it before on an '07/'08 Crossfire and know for sure they have the right tools to communicate with the module after the exchange. Otherwise, you may be in for a long wait without your car. Mine is mostly for top-down weekend rides in the country and it rained last weekend, so no loss for me. Glad to have a safe air bag in there now.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 520 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by JohnM55
Finally got my '08 Crossfire back from the dealer this afternoon. They had it for six days to do only the air bag recall job. But they did keep it inside and it had the same mileage as when I left it. So at least they were taking proper care of it and did not try to charge me for anything. The service advisor said the air bag inflation module exchange was easy. But they ran into a problem on the final verification step. He said they needed to do some sort of reprogramming for the SRS system to recognize the new inflation module and they did not have the right software, interface and cable to complete the last step. They ordered it and got it in house yesterday and finished the job this morning. So my advice to others is before choosing a dealer to do the recall procedure, quiz them on whether they have done it before on an '07/'08 Crossfire and know for sure they have the right tools to communicate with the module after the exchange. Otherwise, you may be in for a long wait without your car. Mine is mostly for top-down weekend rides in the country and it rained last weekend, so no loss for me. Glad to have a safe air bag in there now.
Glad everything turned out okay with your airbag recall repair. Your advice on checking beforehand whether dealer service shop has the proper tooling (including required scanner) to complete this repair is a good one. As some of us suspected, many of these service shops don't have the proper scanner, which makes the final SRS functional verification step impossible to complete.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Also copy the Star Case file in post 83 of this thread and take to the dealer. It says what tool they must have to clear the codes.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnM55

Like I said earlier (prior posted and as recently as post 159), seems the problem came when they tried the SRS verification step (which is not necessary but they are totally clueless). Glad you got your car back, hope they didn't joyride while they had your keys! Hope they never have to 'put hands' on your car again!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 520 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
This looks really promising as an overall OBDII code scanner and specifically a M-B diagnostic tool for checking nearly every system, including SRS codes. And only $160 on eBay. Not bad at all, if it really does everything claimed.

Review of iCarsoft MB II OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner
I received this iCarsoft MBII Diagnostic Scanner yesterday. After it warms up some today, I'm going to see if it does in fact recognize the R170 chassis for the Crossfire and is able to scan for SRS codes & other major systems.

I'll then connect it to one of my other vehicles as it is suppose to be a universal OBD2 scanner for all makes & models.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I received this iCarsoft MBII Diagnostic Scanner yesterday. After it warms up some today, I'm going to see if it does in fact recognize the R170 chassis for the Crossfire and is able to scan for SRS codes & other major systems.

I'll then connect it to one of my other vehicles as it is suppose to be a universal OBD2 scanner for all makes & models.
I have wondered about this scanner, I read up about it and ended up more confused than ever. Some said it would work on the Crossfire, others said no and others said it would partially work.
I have the Ultragage, the Bluedriver, the INNOVA 3100 and an ELM. Maybe I should stop now.

I leave the Bluedriver plugged in all the time because I forgot it was there, never had the battery go flat on me yet while parked for the winter.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Three things I go overboard about: computers (all forms), scanners, and generators/inverters.

Was considering a $500 Autoenginutity (inc Chrysler) until they said it could not do the Crossfire SRS. If the ICarSoft can am afraid I'll need one.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Three things I go overboard about: computers (all forms), scanners, and generators/inverters.

Was considering a $500 Autoenginutity (inc Chrysler) until they said it could not do the Crossfire SRS. If the ICarSoft can am afraid I'll need one.
You left out reclining seats

What is your opinion of adding a large farad capacitor on the battery ?

Like :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Power-Ac...-/390918549713

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You left out reclining seats

What is your opinion of adding a large farad capacitor on the battery ?

Like :
NEW!!! Power Acoustik 30 Farad Digital Car Audio Capacitor Cap With Voltmeter | eBay

George, are you wanting this on the battery to squash DC spikes, or for a very large stereo system mod?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
George, are you wanting this on the battery to squash DC spikes, or for a very large stereo system mod?

Not necessarily 'wanting' it, was just thinking that since our cars are so darn sensitive to voltage, maybe it wouldn't hurt to filter and smooth it out, not that the battery doesn't already do a good job of that.
I figured someone on here with an electrical degree could comment one way or the other.
I'm just a stupid ole shade tree redneck.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 PM

A good battery is a very large farad capacitor.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Not necessarily 'wanting' it, was just thinking that since our cars are so darn sensitive to voltage, maybe it wouldn't hurt to filter and smooth it out, not that the battery doesn't already do a good job of that.
I figured someone on here with an electrical degree could comment one way or the other.
I'm just a stupid ole shade tree redneck.

And a very talented ole shade tree redneck (notice I left out the 'stupid' cuz it aint so!)!

Originally Posted by Padgett
A good battery is a very large farad capacitor.

Exactly like one!

Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
And a very talented ole shade tree redneck (notice I left out the 'stupid' cuz it aint so!)!

Exactly like one!

OK, then why do these things sell, and what good are they ?
Are they like electrical superchargers and $65 performance chips ?

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-19-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM

OK, then why do these things sell, and what good are they ?
Are they like electrical superchargers and $65 performance chips ?

They sell to provide the added instant current for those annoying loud thumping stereos that drive peaceful people like me to murder..... He he he he he

Without them, the rest of the car will seriously dip in voltage the higher the volume is raised (to the point of undervoltages to critical components).

Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks. Means I can forget about them then.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks. Means I can forget about them then.

Unless your into some serious BLING, for the 'WOW' factor! LMAO!

Or, maybe you have $ to burn? Hmmmmmm...

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Or, maybe you have $ to burn? Hmmmmmm...
NO, I have the Fed ( via the IRS ) do that for me.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM

NO, I have the Fed ( via the IRS ) do that for me.

Don't we all have THAT problem! Maybe soon this too shall pass?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your Chrysler dealer, tell them you have a CF, they order airbag part and install. Part took around 3 days to appear. Easy Peasy.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got mine done this a.m. along with a new TPMS re-learn. No drama, but holding my breath no dash lights appear.
Next up is bleed the brake & clutch, fresh antifreeze, turkey baste the P/S reservoir and I'm ready for the 2017 driving season. First rally is May 7th.