All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

No Lens Headlights

Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Lens Headlights

Since the lens on the headlights get so terrible all the time, and replacing the assembly is so expensive, I am considering just removing my lenses. They've been sanded and buffed and clear coated several times.

In the past few years, the car was hit in the right front, so there is a brand new headlight there. However, the left headlight got REALLY bad, and the inside constantly had moisture. I ended up scraping the outside with a razor before sanding and buffing (it was that bad), and just drilled holes in the bottom and top to dry out the inside (not elegant, but effective for now).

So, since I don't want to take apart a brand new headlight (the right side), does anyone have a really crappy right side headlight they'd like to part with? Actually, I suppose I'd like a pair.

I'd just put them in the oven, remove the lenses and install the lights without them. I don't see a reason that wouldn't be fine. The lights are sealed. The lenses are only for aerodynamics and appearance I'm sure.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: No Lens Headlights

You do not want to put a crossfire headlight in the oven .
The Poly sealant used does not melt before the plastic.
trust me i know.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I saw instructions on here at some point in time, for removing the headlight lenses to install angel eyes or something

Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
I thought I saw instructions on here at some point in time, for removing the headlight lenses to install angel eyes or something
Those instructions were pirated from a modder website, by mistake, because our headlight housing can't be "baked" apart.

Folks have cut them apart with a Dremel and re-glued them.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

It is NOT as simple as removing the front cover. ALL the internals are not weatherproof AND when water reaches the bulbs (according to the weather, and if cold started OR cold water drops hit a hot bulb), it will shatter and/or corrode assembly internals. Be prepared to 'seal' all the places where water will intrude WITHOUT seizing the various adjustment points internal.