All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

New Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just

Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking New Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just

$120 - 2 KYB 4731 Gas-A-Just Shocks for Fronts
$120 - 2 KYB 4732 Gas-A-Just Shocks for Rears
$230 - Labor to Install all 4 Shocks
---------------------------------------------
Priceless - Feeling like I have control of my 130K mile car again!

Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: New Shocks - KYB Gas-A-Just

Read this:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...yb-shocks.html

There is a small issue with KYB's.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 PM

I actually found this out the hard way the first day on the road. :/

I hit a big dip in the road and my car completely bottomed out. Sounded like the body hit the tires or the car hit the road. Couldn't tell. Not real happy about that.

Another thing I have noticed is that while my car is a bit nicer to me going over bumps and potholes, it feels like I am just riding on the springs the whole time. Very bouncy even when not on a bumpy road and the car moves side to side when closing the door. Perhaps this is what these cars feel like when they have new shocks and perhaps it will calm down a bit as they break in, but it is very unnerving.

Overall I feel as though I have a bit more control of the car now when steering, but the floating on a cloud/springs feeling is kind of freaking me out. lol

Anyone else getting the same bouncy/floating feeling with these shocks or did the shop perhaps not install them correctly?

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Anyone have any info on what I might be able to do with these?

Not feeling safe in this car anymore, but I'd hate to have to trade it in for something else.

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried to adjust them , fully , both directions. Maybe when they were installed , they were set on the softest ride, thinking that's what you wanted.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XFireCrazy

Not feeling safe in this car anymore, but I'd hate to have to trade it in for something else.

Thanks.
What you're describing is completely out of character with this car and how it normally rides I agree with Steve I think it comes from the factory set at its softest setting I think you need to go back And adjust each one until you achieve the ride quality you're looking for and if it still rides the same way when you've reached their firmest setting then I would say they are defective and I would take them back. My Roadster is 12 years old I drive it everyday and it still has the same Factory shocks, the ride quality is firm and responsive to every input of the steering wheel it still Corners flat with no drift.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks Guys.

I had someone else install these, so I am not sure how to adjust them.

I do not see anything on the shocks themselves. Do I turn this bolt sticking out in the engine compartment?

KYB Front Shock

Adjustment Screw for front Shock in Engine Compartment??

Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 PM

I'm sorry , there is no adjustments on the KYBs they are self adjusting. Meaning, if your driving then go into a corning situation there is less travel for the gas to compress an a smaller travel space for the shock to compress. I was thinking of the KONIs, they have an adjustment for harder or a softer ride. I have the KYBs on mine , an I enjoy them. For me , they corner well an smooth out the highway,(except for the carters).
Whats changed in the 2 months you've had them? Have you started driving more aggressively or are you use to a lower stiffer kind of ride in a small car? If that's the case , think KONIs

Last edited by Steve Jr; 08-27-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.

I sure wouldn't trade the car because I put the wrong shocks on it. Correct your mistake, make your car happy!

Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I sure wouldn't trade the car because I put the wrong shocks on it. Correct your mistake, make your car happy!
There are other extenuating circumstances and this is just the last straw I think. lol

She is getting older and there are a few other issues as well that I just can't seem to get resolved. I bought some rims from NeedsWings and he shipped me the wrong size for the fronts. He sent me some spacers to try to make them fit, but no matter what I try with the spacers I can't get them to work without lots of vibration in the steering wheel. I can't afford to go buy new rims and new shocks and get all of the other little stuff on her fixed and I am worried that as she gets older I will have more and more issues with her. I have a very long commute and I need to have a dependable ride that won't leave me stranded. I used to really love this car, but the ride is horrible right now and it's wearing me down. :/

I don't know if I can just return these shocks and get something different at this point or not. I purchased them and had them installed back on 06/23/2017. I would imagine that once you install them, they are yours forever. I just don't understand why everyone says they love these shocks and why I am having such an issue with them.

Could they just be bad? That would explain why the car is so bouncy and why she bottoms out onto the tires when going over big dips. I dunno....I'm worn down and I just want my fun car back.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

There are other extenuating circumstances and this is just the last straw I think. lol

She is getting older and there are a few other issues as well that I just can't seem to get resolved. I bought some rims from NeedsWings and he shipped me the wrong size for the fronts. He sent me some spacers to try to make them fit, but no matter what I try with the spacers I can't get them to work without lots of vibration in the steering wheel. I can't afford to go buy new rims and new shocks and get all of the other little stuff on her fixed and I am worried that as she gets older I will have more and more issues with her. I have a very long commute and I need to have a dependable ride that won't leave me stranded. I used to really love this car, but the ride is horrible right now and it's wearing me down. :/

I don't know if I can just return these shocks and get something different at this point or not. I purchased them and had them installed back on 06/23/2017. I would imagine that once you install them, they are yours forever. I just don't understand why everyone says they love these shocks and why I am having such an issue with them.

Could they just be bad? That would explain why the car is so bouncy and why she bottoms out onto the tires when going over big dips. I dunno....I'm worn down and I just want my fun car back.
I had the yellow koni's that did that then one blew out. I changed them all out for bilstien HD's. Car rides stiff but it isnt bouncing all over the place like I have cut springs in a honda civic. You have to remember these are sports cars not GT's.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by philosophico
I had the yellow koni's that did that then one blew out. I changed them all out for bilstien HD's. Car rides stiff but it isnt bouncing all over the place like I have cut springs in a honda civic. You have to remember these are sports cars not GT's.

I would argue that these are more GT than pure sports cars. I think of sports cars as being more rally or track oriented and GTs as a high speed road car, ideal for long commutes. In either case, it shouldn't be wallowing like a hog in deep mud, it should have a taut but not uncomfortable ride and certainly not bottoming out. I would get Koni's and systematically work on the other problems, using the forum for reference. It's such a nice car when it is working as it should.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Guys.

I had someone else install these, so I am not sure how to adjust them.

I do not see anything on the shocks themselves. Do I turn this bolt sticking out in the engine compartment?

KYB Front Shock

Adjustment Screw for front Shock in Engine Compartment??
As noted on FaceBook, these are incorrectly installed. The bigger busshing goes under. And these are for the SLK-different from the Crossfire-specific shocks KYB specs.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
As noted on FaceBook, these are incorrectly installed. The bigger busshing goes under. And these are for the SLK-different from the Crossfire-specific shocks KYB specs.
See , 2 heads are better than 1 , even if 1 is a head of cabbage. I didn't even notice that.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Also, the "Gas-Adjust" KYB shocks are NOT adjustable, the terminology refers to the internal design, not external adjust ability.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 PM

SOLVED: The mechanics had put the front shocks on the rear and the rears on the front. Got them swapped out and now the car is nice and stiff again.

I think they also had the rubber stops reversed. smh.

Thanks for all the advice and support.