CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   Some uses for the old oil change O rings (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/77527-some-uses-old-oil-change-o-rings.html)

ala_xfire 12-05-2017 10:40 AM

Some uses for the old oil change O rings

Put some bling on the heater control valves
( cleaned with lacquer thinner, then 2 coats of Kilz, then ceramic caliper paint ) :
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...483e4d19d9.jpg

Cover up those rusty threads on the water pump pulley :

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...be210a8b56.jpg

AND, I'm pretty sure the really big one will fit the throttle body, but haven't personally verified that.

Kingdav1954 12-05-2017 10:56 AM

Re: Some uses for the old oil change O rings

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898286)
Put some bling on the heater control valves
( cleaned with lacquer thinner, then 2 coats of Kilz, then ceramic caliper paint ) :

Cover up those rusty threads on the water pump pulley :

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...be210a8b56.jpg

AND, I'm pretty sure the really big one will fit the throttle body, but haven't personally verified that.

LOL !! You've got waaaay to much free time, I think you need another project to go with all the others 😏

ala_xfire 12-05-2017 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 898287)
LOL !! You've got waaaay to much free time, I think you need another project to go with all the others 😏

I KNOW !!! This being retired stuff is driving me CRAZY :)

Kingdav1954 12-05-2017 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898288)
I KNOW !!! This being retired stuff is driving me CRAZY :)

I'm two years away from retirement and I'm trying to find every excuse I can to put it off, but the wife is breaking my coconuts about it and wants me to take early retirement. I keep asking her, and do what? Travel? I already do that for a living now!!

onehundred80 12-05-2017 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898286)

The O-ring for the throttle body should be Viton, the regular O-ring can not take the temperature for extended periods of time and hardens up.

ala_xfire 12-05-2017 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 898296)
The O-ring for the throttle body should be Viton, the regular O-ring can not take the temperature for extended periods of time and hardens up.

Agreed, but can you explain why the O ring is almost completely deteriorated each time someone removes a TB ?

Kingdav1954 12-05-2017 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898298)
Agreed, but can you explain why the O ring is almost completely deteriorated each time someone removes a TB ?

​​​​ heat degradation ?? The only thing that travels through it but does not touch it is air.

Steve Jr 12-05-2017 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 898287)

I figured ,it was raining at George's house today or he had been banished to the garage,, for some reason...lol. :p

ala_xfire 12-05-2017 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 898299)
​​​​ heat degradation ?? The only thing that travels through it but does not touch it is air.

Yea, but since the manifold is bolted to the engine that averages 190 F, there is bound to be some heat buildup.
What I can't figure is that this same O ring is in the oil filter assembly that also averages 190 F, so why wouldn't it deteriorate there too ?

daveesrt6 12-05-2017 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=ala_xfire;898286]Put some bling on the heater control valves

OK thats it , i have to do this , they do look very nice painted ! :cool:
i need a new project anyway , i was getting bored with taking endless pics of my car ;)

onehundred80 12-05-2017 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898301)
Yea, but since the manifold is bolted to the engine that averages 190 F, there is bound to be some heat buildup.
What I can't figure is that this same O ring is in the oil filter assembly that also averages 190 F, so why wouldn't it deteriorate there too ?

The oil filter O-ring is changed once in a while, the throttle body O-ring hardly ever if at all. The filter O-ring is also kept moist, maybe that helps.
Remember the O-ring in the dip stick tube that was brittle a week or so ago?

ala_xfire 12-05-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 898306)
The oil filter O-ring is changed once in a while, the throttle body O-ring hardly ever if at all. The filter O-ring is also kept moist, maybe that helps.
Remember the O-ring in the dip stick tube that was brittle a week or so ago?

OK, you convinced me. Viton it will be.

waldig 12-05-2017 06:05 PM

Yeah retirement is a bit ch as you never get a day off and there is no sick leave or freedom from the knowledge that your ON YOUR OWN TIME and your near the end so DONT WASTE IT! Been running from project to project with no let up, work was a time to think about projects and you could think of the free time and what you could do on your time OFF..............................Enjoy, WOODY

onehundred80 12-05-2017 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 898309)
OK, you convinced me. Viton it will be.

Viton is a trade name, the material is actually fluorocarbon.
Max endorsed this some years ago.

Kingdav1954 12-05-2017 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 898316)
Yeah retirement is a bit ch as you never get a day off and there is no sick leave or freedom from the knowledge that your ON YOUR OWN TIME and your near the end so DONT WASTE IT! Been running from project to project with no let up, work was a time to think about projects and you could think of the free time and what you could do on your time OFF..............................Enjoy, WOODY

LOL! it's the" near the end" part that I'm trying to avoid ¥

ewaynec 12-06-2017 09:38 AM

Please, I have a project. I need to replace my valve cover gaskets. I don't want to do it and I will not take it to a garage. If any of you retired gentlemen need a project you can have mine, I don't want it.

ala_xfire 12-06-2017 09:59 AM

I'll take it, but you are a bit far away :(

JEFASOLD 12-06-2017 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954 (Post 898319)
LOL! it's the" near the end" part that I'm trying to avoid ¥

W.C. Fields, a notoriously non religious man, known for his hard drinking, was found reading a bible on his deathbed. An astonished friend asked him what he was doing, to which Fields replied "Looking for a loophole". I have found that retirement brings a whole new batch of "things" to do, to the point that you wonder how you got anything done before retirement.

Kingdav1954 12-06-2017 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD (Post 898348)
W.C. Fields, a notoriously non religious man, known for his hard drinking, was found reading a bible on his deathbed. An astonished friend asked him what he was doing, to which Fields replied "Looking for a loophole". I have found that retirement brings a whole new batch of "things" to do, to the point that you wonder how you got anything done before retirement.

😂🤣 That's hilarious!! From now on when someone asks me, how are you? I'm going to answer; unsuccessful at finding the loophole !!