All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

2004 Crossfire NOT cranking - HELP Please

Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2004 Crossfire NOT cranking - HELP Please

My 2004 crossfire manual 6 speed 38k is NOT cranking. Car was sitting for a few months and battery completely died. It now has a Good Battery and RCM. Switched it out of another running 2004 crossfire so i know both works. Engine NOT cranking. No crank at all, but not 100% sure its my starter, since im getting NO power to starter S terminal. I connected a test light to the S terminal, and the other end to the negative post of battery and turned the key to start and the test light did NOT light up. When i accidently bridge the starter terminal with test light probe the solenoid engaged the starter so I’m thinking the starter is good. Its a 6 speed manual and I unplugged and bridge the clutch safety switch and still NO crank. Im thinking a SKREEM issue even though its NOT cranking at all ... even after battery unplugged overnight. I switched the RCM from a running crossfire and it still didn’t crank. Key fob works, lock and unlock doors all dash lights work and i see no error message on dash. Any suggestion other than sKREEM? I even unplug the battery with key in ignition ON overnight and still no crank. I also disconnected both battery terminals and touched them together for 10 seconds and still NO crank. All the SKREEM issue seems to state car will crank for 2 sec and then shut off, but mine is NOT cranking at all. Any help appreciated
Car was sitting for a few months and battery died.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire NOT cranking - HELP Please

Originally Posted by Cbridge
My 2004 crossfire manual 6 speed 38k is NOT cranking. Car was sitting for a few months and battery completely died. It now has a Good Battery and RCM. Switched it out of another running 2004 crossfire so i know both works. Engine NOT cranking. No crank at all, but not 100% sure its my starter, since im getting NO power to starter S terminal. I connected a test light to the S terminal, and the other end to the negative post of battery and turned the key to start and the test light did NOT light up. When i accidently bridge the starter terminal with test light probe the solenoid engaged the starter so I’m thinking the starter is good. Its a 6 speed manual and I unplugged and bridge the clutch safety switch and still NO crank. Im thinking a SKREEM issue even though its NOT cranking at all ... even after battery unplugged overnight. I switched the RCM from a running crossfire and it still didn’t crank. Key fob works, lock and unlock doors all dash lights work and i see no error message on dash. Any suggestion other than sKREEM? I even unplug the battery with key in ignition ON overnight and still no crank. I also disconnected both battery terminals and touched them together for 10 seconds and still NO crank. All the SKREEM issue seems to state car will crank for 2 sec and then shut off, but mine is NOT cranking at all. Any help appreciated
Car was sitting for a few months and battery died.
Sounds like it could be a ground issue. There are others who have experienced this before. Corrosion, bad connections, etc. Here's one thread which may help.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...le-engine.html

BTW, if you are in Baltimore, you should consider meeting up with our Crossfires of Maryland Group. I coordinated our cruises and meet-ups. Let me know if you are interested. We have a planning meeting coming up on Feb 10th near Baltimore.

Paul

Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Thanks Paul. I’ll go and check my connections. I’ll post what i find.
i will join the MD crossfire club.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Try this:

Turn key to "on" but do not try to start the car.
Wait 30 seconds.
Does the engine fan kick up to full warp speed? (If it does, you will know, it sounds like a jet engine...)

If it does, you are right back to the RCM, as this indicates that the output of the Engine COntrol Relay on the RCM is not making it to the ECM.

If the fan does NOT run at high speed, you are looking at clutch interlock, pulse module, ignition switch, ECM itself, etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Fan does’t run with ignition On, so i dont think it’s an RCM issue. I also switched the RCM from a running 2004 Crossfire and still NOT cranking. Bought new grounding cables and will install in Morning.
Still puzzled and trying to figure out problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM

If I unplug the clutch safety switch next to the clutch pedal and bridge the two wire contacts together, i would be bypassing the clutch safety system that prevents the starter from cranking ? Is this assumption correct ? I want to make sure that the problem is NOT the clutch safety switch.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Crossfire still NOT cranking. Installed new ground wire between battery and engine/transmission housing and No difference. All lights work, keyfob works, dash lights work, but starter Not crankingg. Dont see power getting to S wire on starter. Could this be a SKREEM problem.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Crossfire still NOT cranking. Installed new ground wire between battery and engine/transmission housing and No difference. All lights work, keyfob works, dash lights work, but starter Not crankingg. Dont see power getting to S wire on starter. Could this be a SKREEM problem.
Skreem doesn't "disable" the starter till the third start attempt.. we have a Texas owner whose SRT will only start with 13 plus volts applied (boosted start with new battery tested and proven good) .. "normal" stuff checked and can't figure this one out.. replacing the starter (PITA job) seems to be the only attempt to resolve left.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Installed new grounding wire and still NO cranking.
Trying to find someone who can scan my computer. Car was at Chrysler dealership for 3 weeks and no confirmed diagonistic, so It was towed back home.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Check your Pulse Module , to see if your getting power in and out.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 PM

I’ll check the Pulse Module. Will take a day or two since I have to research the manual on how to test / check it out. Thanks for the advise. I’ll post what I find.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 AM

I’ll check the Pulse Module. Will take a day or two since I have to research the manual on how to test / check it out. Thanks for the advise. I’ll post what I find.
In the 04 manual , it's 8W-30-4. Look up a thread " Need help - Crossfire not starting". Hope this helps...

​​​​​​Rereading the thread, pizzaguy suggested this earlier, let's us know.

Last edited by Steve Jr; 01-24-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM

Hi Team - I swapped the Pulse Module from another 04 crossfire and still no crank. I’m now going to get a BUMP cable to turn over the starter. If it doesn’t turn then i’ll Pull the starter and have it checked. I hear pulling the starter is a PITA. I’ll keep the forum updated on what I find. Thanks to everyone who has offered a suggestion to fix this NO crank problem. All advice appreciated.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Update - I unplug the “F” connector on the Pulse Module and applied 12v from positive battery to the F wire going to the starter and the starter cranked the car over, so i know the Starter & solenoid is GOOD!! I’m now in process of testing the Clutch interlock safety switch to see if power is completely to terminal “B” on pulse module. I’ll update this post tomorrow with results.
Anyone knows an easy way to test Clutch interlock safety switch ? The Service Manual is very vauge on this test/diagnosis?
Anyway to bypass this clutch interlock safety switch and fool the pulse module and PCM ? Im open to suggestions.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Update - I unplug the “F” connector on the Pulse Module and applied 12v from positive battery to the F wire going to the starter and the starter cranked the car over, so i know the Starter & solenoid is GOOD!! I’m now in process of testing the Clutch interlock safety switch to see if power is completely to terminal “B” on pulse module. I’ll update this post tomorrow with results.
Anyone knows an easy way to test Clutch interlock safety switch ? The Service Manual is very vauge on this test/diagnosis?
Anyway to bypass this clutch interlock safety switch and fool the pulse module and PCM ? Im open to suggestions.
  • Yank the wires off it.
  • Connect a DVM set to the ohmmeter scale to the two terminals of the switch.
  • With the pedal down and then up, you should see a change of state. With the pedal down, the switch must CLOSE to enable the pulse module, with the pedal up, the switch is OPEN.
  • It would be easier (would it not?) to turn the key on and have a friend press the pedal.
    • Do you have the enabling 12 (or so) volts at the pulse module? If so, it aint the clutch switch.
    • If you don't have 12 volts, it can be the switch OR perhaps the switch is not getting 12 volts on the other side.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-25-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Problem SOLVED: It was the clutch safety switch.
Thanks Pizzaguy for providing the starter wiring diagram. It helped to isolate the clutch safety interlock switch as the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Theodosia (10-13-2022)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire NOT cranking - Problem solved

it was the clutch safety interlock switch

Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see this thread. Not rying to hijack the thread, wondering if anyone can help me out. My srt is acting the same way after a dead battery, will not crank. Obviously automatic, so a different issue. I have already changed the RCM and camshaft sensor, going to replace the crankshaft sensor next. Not experienced on the electrical side, I bought an icarsoft scanner and get P2300 code (under the transmission section), getting B1040 code, P1175 & P1174 codes. I live outside of Cleveland, OH and don't want to take it to a dealer.

Any help is appreciated, I love my srt, I have owned it for 10 years, 33K miles, first time it has failed.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

You might get a quicker response if you start a thread of your own ???

Old 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much! I am having this problem intermittently. After taking the key and trying again, I can get it started by the 2nd or third try, especially if I press the clutch after I turn the car on ACC.
I will change out the Clutch safety switch, that was my next attempt, but now I know that I need to do that soon before it completely goes out.

Quick Reply: 2004 Crossfire NOT cranking - HELP Please