All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Car Throttle reviews Chrysler Crossfire

Old 03-31-2018, 12:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Car Throttle reviews Chrysler Crossfire

Short version, he does not like it or the srt-6 and suggest you get a 350z of all things or a M3.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Car Throttle reviews Chrysler Crossfire

He's an expert, I could tell when he said it had sloppy rack steering

Old 03-31-2018, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
He's an expert, I could tell when he said it had sloppy rack steering
I wouldn't call it sloppy though, when you turn the wheel the car turns. I would say it is DEAD. No feed back at all, my viper truck has a more communicative steering feel than my SRT-6.

Something else I disagreed with was him saying get a 350z instead. I guess since I have a srt-6 I couldn't go to something as slow as a 350z or 370z They are to slow, if I was coming from a base/limited I guess the Z cars would be faster.

Lastly, he was right about the weight. For a car of this size it should not be 3000+ lbs period. All in all at the end of the day, buy the car that works for you not what other people "recommend".

Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would love to give this asshat a ride in either one of my cars....lol

Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by philosophico
I wouldn't call it sloppy though, when you turn the wheel the car turns. I would say it is DEAD. No feed back at all, my viper truck has a more communicative steering feel than my SRT-6.

Something else I disagreed with was him saying get a 350z instead. I guess since I have a srt-6 I couldn't go to something as slow as a 350z or 370z They are to slow, if I was coming from a base/limited I guess the Z cars would be faster.

Lastly, he was right about the weight. For a car of this size it should not be 3000+ lbs period. All in all at the end of the day, buy the car that works for you not what other people "recommend".

You might like that "3000+lbs' should you ever get in an accident on our CRAZY highways. One of the first things that impressed me was the feeling of a heavy stable almost tank like steel. If I were just racing on a track I'd be peeling weight at every opportunity, but as long as my car is driving on our highways and byways I think the weight is just fine.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrote a huge comment on that video. You can see he clearly has no confidence in the car because yes our suspension is too soft and the steering is weird if you only drive the car for 30 minutes. The automatic transmission is probably sucking most of the fun out of that car because it's old and not very smart. Once you spend time with the car and drive it like you stole it (in the manual version) it all comes together and you figure out that IT IS a sports car with soft suspension and old steering. When you start to get confidence behind the wheel though the car is a blast and IT handles very well. The car pulls high numbers of lateral g forces superior to most sports car of the period including the 350Z. The engine is responsive and easy to rev match. It has potential. He's trying to be nice by saying that he understands the appeal because of the looks but it's just an excuse for an unprofessional clickbait bs of a review. Go watch Matt Maran's review or any other review in the magazine and it's a lot more accurate and real than this mess of a 'review'.
​​​​​​
This is just a quick drive with an automatic car that is not well maintained. The guy does not even know the difference between steering and handling. The car HANDLES well. Every other review says it and has data to prove it performance wise. The manual is definitely a 6.5 seconds car. The car does not even roll that much in stock form. He is not able to seperate one thing from the other. The car has soft suspension but it does not roll much at all. The dampening is bad yes. Also, the steering is not even that slow for the time period. The seats are way better than a lot of cars! (depending on your body type ok they can hurt after a few hours on long drives) The whole review is all over the place. Clickbait bs. The owner of the na does not even seem to know what he is talking about. The entire car is Mercedes. There is no Chrysler bits or what so ever.

No research were obviously done prior to this review/drive and they did not have any standards for car selection. I don't think he had much seat time neither.

On that note, no our cars don't have the best feel on the first drive but once you know it and drive it hard. It feels good! It sucks to see unprofessional reviewers get any kind of credibility though.

Our cars would have been sensational with better dampening, an lsd, the 3.7 engine, a higher quality shift ****, better looking steering wheel and gauges. I am putting all of that in mine.

The auto climate control from the mercs of the time would have been nice as well but I know none of these were added because of cost.

But I still don't understand why they did not use the 3.7 engine. It was in the parts bin and the SLK was moving on to a new family of engines and a new platform.

Last edited by alexdc; 04-01-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdc
I wrote a huge comment on that video. You can see he clearly has no confidence in the car because yes our suspension is too soft and the steering is weird if you only drive the car for 30 minutes. The automatic transmission is probably sucking most of the fun out of that car because it's old and not very smart. Once you spend time with the car and drive it like you stole it (in the manual version) it all comes together and you figure out that IT IS a sports car with soft suspension and old steering. When you start to get confidence behind the wheel though the car is a blast and IT handles very well. The car pulls high numbers of lateral g forces superior to most sports car of the period including the 350Z. The engine is responsive and easy to rev match. It has potential. He's trying to be nice by saying that he understands the appeal because of the looks but it's just an excuse for an unprofessional clickbait bs of a review. Go watch Matt Maran's review or any other review in the magazine and it's a lot more accurate and real than this mess of a 'review'.
​​​​​​
This is just a quick drive with an automatic car that is not well maintained. The guy does not even know the difference between steering and handling. The car HANDLES well. Every other review says it and has data to prove it performance wise. The manual is definitely a 6.5 seconds car. The car does not even roll that much in stock form. He is not able to seperate one thing from the other. The car has soft suspension but it does not roll much at all. The dampening is bad yes. Also, the steering is not even that slow for the time period. The seats are way better than a lot of cars! (depending on your body type ok they can hurt after a few hours on long drives) The whole review is all over the place. Clickbait bs. The owner of the na does not even seem to know what he is talking about. The entire car is Mercedes. There is no Chrysler bits or what so ever.

No research were obviously done prior to this review/drive and they did not have any standards for car selection. I don't think he had much seat time neither.

On that note, no our cars don't have the best feel on the first drive but once you know it and drive it hard. It feels good! It sucks to see unprofessional reviewers get any kind of credibility though.

​​
Simple, do your own review.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Simple, do your own review.
I will one day but that kind of overly negative and unfactual review kills the interest of potential used crossfire buyers or just the interest of car enthusiasts in general. This is a lot of car for the money. It does not deserve the hate that it gets.

Last edited by alexdc; 04-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM

I will one day but that kind of overly negative and unfactual review kills the interest of potential used crossfire buyers or just the interest of car enthusiasts in general. This is a lot of car for the money. It does not deserve the hate that it gets.
Maybe you should just throttle the reviewer.
There were not too many good reviews on the Crossfire and the reviewers must have seen all of them and now they basically cover the same points.
I have found both of the cars I have had to be reliable with minimal problems, we must remember that people ask questions on here because they have a problem. Some problems have been repeated so many times so that a pattern emerges of the most common ones and the picture is not too bad at all. Many of the problems have been quite rare.
Many of these cars have been through a good few owners and not necessarily looked after very well, many have been dumped because of many minor problems, each not fixed at the time it arose. Many of these problems are not obvious at first.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe you should just throttle the reviewer.
There were not too many good reviews on the Crossfire and the reviewers must have seen all of them and now they basically cover the same points.
I have found both of the cars I have had to be reliable with minimal problems, we must remember that people ask questions on here because they have a problem. Some problems have been repeated so many times so that a pattern emerges of the most common ones and the picture is not too bad at all. Many of the problems have been quite rare.
Many of these cars have been through a good few owners and not necessarily looked after very well, many have been dumped because of many minor problems, each not fixed at the time it arose. Many of these problems are not obvious at first.
My car had 6 owners... NOT a good sign but IT works perfectly. All it needs is maintenance. IT does not even have a slight bit of rust and it's been in Canada for 6 years now. I got it rust proofed for the first time 2 weeks ago.

They are very reliable.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guilty as charged, the main car featured in this video is mine, therefore the plump bloke in the cap was me. My apologies for letting someone else slate the car but I did ask him to be honest, which he was to be fair.

Even if he is wrong... lol

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

alexdc - I agree with you 100% in that I think the Crossfire is a lot of car for the money. I've certainly enjoyed mine! I don't know what that reviewer is refering to when he says soft suspension, or words to that effect. I do worry with mine, when hitting a pothole, that I'm going to brake or bend a wheel, because the suspension is hard. Maybe the reviewer like's dragsters that are all solid mounted frame and axle. Hope he doesn't hit too many potholes.

Jim

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
alexdc - I agree with you 100% in that I think the Crossfire is a lot of car for the money. I've certainly enjoyed mine! I don't know what that reviewer is refering to when he says soft suspension, or words to that effect. I do worry with mine, when hitting a pothole, that I'm going to brake or bend a wheel, because the suspension is hard. Maybe the reviewer like's dragsters that are all solid mounted frame and axle. Hope he doesn't hit too many potholes.

Jim
The damping is too soft but tires will play a huge part in ride stiffness and body roll.

Last edited by alexdc; 02-26-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:24 AM

The damping is too soft but tires will play a huge part in ride stiffness and body roll.
Too soft? Try the stock SRT, it’ll shake your fillings loose.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Too soft? Try the stock SRT, it’ll shake your fillings loose.
I thought the dampers were identical just different springs? I don't want it to be stiffer. Thanks

Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Dashboard Light reliability scores are pretty persuasive.....

Chrysler Crossfire Reliability - Dashboard Light

Old 03-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Since I never raced either of mine, I never felt slighted by the handling. Both are rock solid at high speed (140 in the roadster; 150 in the SRT6) which is more than I can say about most American and Japanese cars at 75. Other than annual oil changes (and a shift cable that came off in the roadster), not one problem in 14 years and 11 years, respectively. They are still fun to drive, look good, and turn heads. So **** on the reviewer.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Since I never raced either of mine, I never felt slighted by the handling. Both are rock solid at high speed (140 in the roadster; 150 in the SRT6) which is more than I can say about most American and Japanese cars at 75. Other than annual oil changes (and a shift cable that came off in the roadster), not one problem in 14 years and 11 years, respectively. They are still fun to drive, look good, and turn heads. So **** on the reviewer.
Shift cables in the six speed or auto?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry - in the 6-speed.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Forum Regular

My shifter feels loose from left to right. Have you ever experienced that?

Quick Reply: Car Throttle reviews Chrysler Crossfire