CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   Spare tire solutions (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/78297-spare-tire-solutions.html)

Moeron 05-26-2018 08:53 AM

Spare tire solutions

Hello Crossfire-r's,
Newbie question here... Since the convertible coupe or as they pronounce it over in the UK, "coo-pay", doesn't come or have a spare tire any ideas or suggestions as far as emergency kits to carry along with you NEXT to my roadside assistance membership card?

Thank you all!

Blessings!
moe.

ewaynec 05-27-2018 08:58 AM

Re: Spare tire solutions

I have often heard, "there is no such thing as a dumb question". I am going to revise my thinking. You are a "Newbie". Read a little on the furum, check out your car, then come back to this post.

DTMenace 05-27-2018 09:20 AM

Moe
Use the "SEARCH" button at the top of the main page and insert Spare Tire, this has been discussed numerous times since this forum began 14 years ago. BTW, I have one for my coupe....
Good Luck
Dennis
DTMenace

Moeron 05-27-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ewaynec (Post 906289)
I have often heard, "there is no such thing as a dumb question". I am going to revise my thinking. You are a "Newbie". Read a little on the furum, check out your car, then come back to this post.

That was such a brilliant thing to say! Thank you for the enlightenment and warm "welcome".... You piece of ****.... U N B E L I E V E A B L E !!!
Oh and ummm.... there's only ONE "U" in "forUm"......

I'm sure I'm banned now, but hey it was fun while it lasted....

Thanks for nothing....

onehundred80 05-27-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moeron (Post 906242)
Hello Crossfire-r's,
Newbie question here... Since the convertible coupe or as they pronounce it over in the UK, "coo-pay", doesn't come or have a spare tire any ideas or suggestions as far as emergency kits to carry along with you NEXT to my roadside assistance membership card?

Thank you all!

Blessings!
moe.

I would think that a spare tire in a roadster would only fit with the roof up. I would not want a spare floating around in the trunk so it would have to be bolted down.
This question has been discussed ad infinitum hence the suggestion of using search, this forum has been going for fifteen years and there are not many questions that have not been covered. Some answers are good and some are useless, you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

ala_xfire 05-27-2018 10:46 AM

Search the forum for trailer hitch, that's the best solution for long distance travel.
Get a trailer like a motorcycle pulls and put a 18 & 19 spare in it, badabing badaboom.

ZERACER 05-27-2018 11:15 AM

There should be an emergency inflation kit in the trunk area although it is relatively useless for big punctures.

Padgett 05-27-2018 06:17 PM

Yes:
1) ROOF CARGO BAG PROTECTIVE MAT
2) Shoreline Marine Propel hood Trunk tie-Down Loops

Doesn't take up much space when not in use. Can be used top up or top down.

ps 'vert is not a (drop head) coupe, it is a roadster

onehundred80 05-27-2018 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett (Post 906310)
Yes:
1) ROOF CARGO BAG PROTECTIVE MAT
2) Shoreline Marine Propel hood Trunk tie-Down Loops

Doesn't take up much space when not in use. Can be used top up or top down.

Huh?........ :confused:

pizzaguy 05-27-2018 07:01 PM

Why do you need a spare? I have driven slightly less than 1,000,000 miles in the past 41 years. In that time, TWICE have I had a tire go instantly flat. BOTH times, I hit a piece of debris in the road and it deflated the tire instantly, with no way to fix the tire.

I've had probably DOZENS of 'slow leaks', which are no problem. I carry the standard issue air compressor and a "Tire Worm" kit in both the car and truck (which has a spare). I can usually just jack up the wheel and find the object that is the problem.

THEN, I let the wheel down and yank the object out with side cutters and then use the tire worm plug kit to seal the tire. Then I use the air compressor to set the tire to the recommended pressure - and I'm good.

My total mileage driven in three Crossfires is just under 100,000 miles. So far, never been stranded - I know I can crack a wheel or have a tire blow - but odds are not great that will happen. I don't need a spare. If you really do need one, see post 6.

Padgett 05-27-2018 11:05 PM

Can look on Amazon, close trunk lid on rollers and has a strap. Put the pad on the trunk lid to protect the finish and strap the tire on top. Of course that assumes you have a spare tire.

JACxf 05-28-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett (Post 906322)
Can look on Amazon, close trunk lid on rollers and has a strap. Put the pad on the trunk lid to protect the finish and strap the tire on top. Of course that assumes you have a spare tire.

I also guess this also assumes that you either have an SRT6 or are going to drive at less than 60mph.

ewaynec 05-28-2018 09:34 AM

Moeron, if we are going to correct spelling, you misspelled Moron.

Padgett 05-28-2018 10:06 AM

Actually that was my solution for a Fiero and a SLK320 both of which had a much smaller spare than the road wheels without putting in passenger space.. Is only intended to get somewhere for a proper repair.

Suppose could put on hood (bonnet) if putting top up and down is needful.

ps Coupe does not have this issue.

JACxf 05-28-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett (Post 906335)
Actually that was my solution for a Fiero and a SLK320 both of which had a much smaller spare than the road wheels without putting in passenger space.. Is only intended to get somewhere for a proper repair.

Suppose could put on hood (bonnet) if putting top up and down is needful.

ps Coupe does not have this issue.

I was referring more to the issue of the spoiler popping up when you hit 60.