All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Harder and harder to find parts.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harder and harder to find parts.

As parts get harder and harder to find, I am thinking that I would like to buy a wrecked 2005 SRT6 convertible in aero blue that I can use as a parts car. I know that less than a thousand of this specific car with this specific number of options were made...so they are relatively rare.

The Crossfire we have now has sentimental value for my wife and I so what is most economical is not necessarily what we want. We just want to keep our existing car on the road if and when parts do break.

Where would we even begin to look for a car that specific? We have looked through the usual cars for sale sites without any success. Is there any such thing as sites for wrecked cars?

Last edited by David M; 08-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Harder and harder to find parts.

For a small annual fee (maybe $100 or so, can't exactly recall) you can register at BidnDrive.com which will enable you to bid on Copart.com auto auctions. If you tell them you're buying the car for parts they'll lower the auction fee, at least they did for me. Typically I find the car I want to bid on using Coparts website, then I use the VIN to search for it on BidnDrive. Then I bid on it using BidnDrive. Good luck.

https://www.bidndrive.com/how-to-buy-a-salvage-car.html

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
As parts get harder and harder to find, I am thinking that I would like to buy a wrecked 2005 SRT6 convertible in aero blue that I can use as a parts car. I know that less than a thousand of this specific car with this specific number of options were made...so they are relatively rare.

The Crossfire we have now has sentimental value for my wife and I so what is most economical is not necessarily what we want. We just want to keep our existing car on the road if and when parts do break.

Where would we even begin to look for a car that specific? We have looked through the usual cars for sale sites without any success. Is there any such thing as sites for wrecked cars?
I should think that you would be wiser to look for any colour car as wrecked cars have ruined body panels thereby reducing the parts that are salvageable.
Interior colours are all the same so look for a low mileage one with minimal damage. This would enable you to pick from more cars.
Any panels cut out of the scrapped car would require a paint job anyway.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Iaai.com
I think that is right.
is insurance auction page, I have seen many srt's on there with everything from junked to needing a headlight.
sometimes have seen go insanely cheap.....

Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

I would think body and interior parts would be the big issue since most of the mechanical parts are Mercedes?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I would think body and interior parts would be the big issue since most of the mechanical parts are Mercedes?
I wish I had the time, and I would be making molds, for some parts I want, with making with silver texalium

Old 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM

When my son wrecked my 2004 coupe I did not have collision insurance. I tore it down and made a list of parts I needed to rebuild the front end and determined it was going to cost me around 5K just for parts not including my labor and the cost of paint and supplies. So I went and bought another nice 2004 for $4700 and parted out the wrecked one. I have recovered about $8k so far from those parts. I sold some here but most on ebay. My ebay listings are cheaper then others on there and I still made money. I like the car but I would never rebuild one, there are plenty of nice ones to go buy.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM

Good idea about not being selective about the color. The quarter panels will probably need a little body work and paint anyway.