All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What is missing here and why?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What is missing here and why?

I have an 06 roadster automatic. There is a small piece missing from the bottom of the shift marker. Just below the "D". Why would that not be all one piece? I'm guessing it has falling inside somewhere. Is it a blank for an option that I do not have? I've looked around on the forum for how to remove the panels of the console but only find reference to manual shift consoles. Does anyone know what panel I need to start lifting first on an automatic? I would like to find this piece and get it back into place and maybe glue it in place? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: What is missing here and why?

It's a little flip-up door that's been broken off. That hole is where you press down with a pen or screwdriver to release the Park lock.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Go on Ebay and put on crossfire shifter to see some examples. It is an enclosed unit so looks like a PITA to take out and get inside if. Maybe you can find a rubber plug or ???

Old 08-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

Well I got things apart and found the missing piece but sure don’t know how to put it back in. Anyone got a photo of one in place?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Go on Ebay and put on crossfire shifter to see some examples. It is an enclosed unit so looks like a PITA to take out and get inside if. Maybe you can find a rubber plug or ???
Good idea. I was able to find a good photo that helped me see it.
I got looking down in the hole some more and noticed the spring that goes to this door. Not sure if I can get it all back together or not. I'm think there is a small tab broken off of my little door piece.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular

Since I wasn't able to find any information on how this came apart I thought I would take some photos along the way.
Note.....I just bought this car and it was filthy as you will see. Lifting these panels reveled even more debris. Clean now though!
Anyway...I started by gently working a putty knife around the plastic trim piece around the shifter ****.

Then I was able to lift up the larger plastic panel. I pulled the passenger side window switch off in order to move the panel out of the way.

Next was to remove the plastic panel around the shift ****. Gently pry out on tabs to release panel. I then just swung it around out of my way.

Once I had this out of my way I could really see what was going on. I took some needle nose plies and found the small plastic door laying down in the hole along with the spring. Not sure if I can get the door back into position because I believe that a small tab is broken off of one end, and the spring...who knows how that was attached.

Anyway....I have an idea for a fix but cant do it tonight. When I complete it I will come back and edit this thread to show my fix.
So I got all the debris cleaned out and put things back together for the evening.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a 'step by step' for removing the cup holder that covers all this.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James1549
There is a 'step by step' for removing the cup holder that covers all this.
Thanks James, I’ll look it up.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by just grumpy

Thanks James, I’ll look it up.
I think he means there is a step by step saying all the things you said about taking this apart.
There definitely is a part that is broken off, you should look for it. These parts are made from ABS or ABS/PC plastic and it can be glued quite easily with acetone. If you get it right the break can be almost as good as new. Failing that a good crazy glue for plastic works as well. The spring is not too strong so a repair may be OK.
You could hold the part in place with something that would break away if you ever needed to use this release.
I have never had to use it yet and I doubt if many others have either.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I think he means there is a step by step saying all the things you said about taking this apart.
There definitely is a part that is broken off, you should look for it. These parts are made from ABS or ABS/PC plastic and it can be glued quite easily with acetone. If you get it right the break can be almost as good as new. Failing that a good crazy glue for plastic works as well. The spring is not too strong so a repair may be OK.
You could hold the part in place with something that would break away if you ever needed to use this release.
I have never had to use it yet and I doubt if many others have either.
180, Does the acetone just melt the 2 pieces together?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
180, Does the acetone just melt the 2 pieces together?
Not really melt, it liquifies the plastic for a few seconds and they get joined when the two faces meet. The acetone evaporates very quickly leaving the parts joined. Not as strong as new but quite good.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Not really melt, it liquifies the plastic for a few seconds and they get joined when the two faces meet. The acetone evaporates very quickly leaving the parts joined. Not as strong as new but quite good.
Thanks for this information.