All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Need a key fob cover - not a case

Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a key fob cover - not a case

With the key fob prices going crazy, I'm just looking for a soft cover that would fit over mine - it works but has a broken key loop.

Has anyone found a cover that would fit over our style of fob that includes it's own key loop?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need a key fob cover - not a case

I recently purchased two different fob covers on eBay to protect my precious fobs. Both were found on eBay and purchased from the same source in Germany. They arrived quickly and both are high quality. One is silicon and the other is leather. Both would work with your broken top part, particularly the leather one, which is shown in a photo from another poster on this site. The company starts with the letters ky..... There is one problem,however. When the cover is on and inserted into the ignition ,the added size around the key is a tight fit. It tends to turn the rubber and the chrome rings around the key slot....Which just happens to the attached to the antenna wire that goes to the Skree m. The cases tend to cause the chrome and rubber rings to turn back and forth when starting the car.....not a good thing as the site can eventually break. It is shame because the leather one is particularly nice. The only way around this is to use the silicon one for protecting the key and peeling it back when inserting it in the ignition.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

All that matters is the gutz. I rebuilt one of mine with a new case and key blank from eBay. U$6.52. Kept the original back cover for the crest.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
All that matters is the gutz. I rebuilt one of mine with a new case and key blank from eBay. U$6.52. Kept the original back cover for the crest.
+1 on this, I did mine some seven years ago as the one that came with the car was in bad shape. I do have an original which is basically mint and I leave that for any emergency.
You can read on this forum a detailed explanation on how to take the old one apart and install the inside components and the key in the new case. Just do not lose or forget the little chip inside as that is the heart of the key. Lose it and you have lost lots of money, it is worth much more than it’s weight in gold.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I read here that the case is glued tightly together and that
​​​​​​ often the parts go flying out in pieces all over the place when you attempt to open it. With new ones going for between $670 -$840 for a replacement, I would not attempt to open my old , beat up one. I am glad it worked out well for you two gentlemen, though. Even if a person is sucessful in replacing the case, you still should cover the fob. One drop of an uncovered fob can cause issues. Just my opinion.
l

Old 12-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mdcrossfire
I thought I read here that the case is glued tightly together and that
often the parts go flying out in pieces all over the place when you attempt to open it. With new ones going for between $670 -$840 for a replacement, I would not attempt to open my old , beat up one. I am glad it worked out well for you two gentlemen, though. Even if a person is sucessful in replacing the case, you still should cover the fob. One drop of an uncovered fob can cause issues. Just my opinion.
l
They are glued, some would appear to open easier, mine came apart in pieces, you have to be careful of the chip which may or may not be glued in.
I guess I should glue my new case together, but it snapped together pretty tightly.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:05 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

I just want to point out that the aftermarket replacement is not perfect. The batteries are loose compared to the original and the panic button is really hard (I am not kidding, it feels like it doesn't want to be pressed).

Last edited by alexdc; 12-16-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well mine came apart relatively easily using the knife method and gentle persuasion. Wish I had taken a picture of the circuit board with the RFID chip sticking out the end (goes in the red "lens".

Old 12-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by alexdc
^^

I just want to point out that the aftermarket replacement is not perfect. The batteries are loose compared to the original and the panic button is really hard (I am not kidding, it feels like it doesn't want to be pressed).
I think that there may be some different suppliers of these spare fobs, mine were very good with no problems.
The panic button is flush to the surface of the fob so it must no be too easy to initiate the alarm. You have to press the alarm for a few seconds before it will sound.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-16-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I think that there may be some different suppliers of these spare fobs, mine were very good with no problems.
The panic button is flush to the surface of the fob so it must no be too easy to initiate the alarm. You have to press the alarm for a few seconds before it will sound.
You feel the click and see the led light up twice when it's pressed hard. It looks exactly like the picture